Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Would You Help Me With The Math, Please

Would You Help Me With The Math, Please

I have finally found the pattern that I want to make for our niece using 5" charms based on Jenny Doan's tutorial "Falling Charms". On Pinterest there is a quilt made based on her pattern with (I think 2.5" cornerstones) ? I guess I'm having a math blocking day.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/381187555947799464/

I would use Jenny's 5" charms, 2.5" strips but I'm not certain how to go about making the block with the cornerstone accent? Would I make each block individually or how could I strip piece with a corner stone? What would the measurements be?
    Smiles from Idaho,
    Onalee

"What if you woke up today with only the things you had thanked God for yesterday?" ~ Michael Hyatt

Looks like you would sew the 2 1/2 inch strip to one side of the printed fabric block and then sew a 2 1/2 inch square to a second 2 1/2 inch strip to equal the measurement of the print fabric block + the added 2 1/2 inch strip. Here are two videos maybe that will help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_6AEKTi6r0
    And here is the other....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KkpbFKBaKA

Good luck!

You attach half the strips to the big squares and the 2.5" cornerstones to rest of
    your strips then you add the two together like a four patch. Makes sense?

Power Poster
    How I would assemble the unit:

One could strip piece the C and D units, but if using 5 inch charm squares, as far as I can tell, A and B have to be individually sewn.

D would be cut 2.5 (2-1/2) inches wide and C would be cut 5 inches wide, and then the sewn strips would be sub-cut into 2.5 inch b 7 inch pieces.

The ABCD unfinished unit should measure 7 x 7 inches and then "finish" at 6.5 x 6.5 inches

(This is assuming the use of 5 inch squares and 2.5 inch wide strips)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by bearisgray; 07-15-2017 at 09:06 AM.

MANY Thanks to those that helped me defrost my brain freeze!

bearisgray your visual is most helpful to me as I AM such a visual, pattern dependent person, your drawing and measurements are going to help me immensely a special thanks to you!

One of the reasons that this board is so FANTASTIC so many wonderful quilters so willing to spend time helping others.
    Smiles from Idaho,
    Onalee

"What if you woke up today with only the things you had thanked God for yesterday?" ~ Michael Hyatt

I made one similar to this. What I did was attach b to A. I made a whole long strip of 5" C fabric and a whole long 2 1/2" strip of D fabric. The sewed the D strip and C strip together and cut in 2 1/2" strips. That way, I didn't have to deal with that little 2 1/2 inch block. (Sorry, I did not take photos).

bkay

The cornerstones are a nice addition to Falling Charms. Thank you for posting the picture.

what a cute quilt and great tutorial thanks for posting...........
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way.
    Virginia Woolf

This could easily be done by doing a disappearing nine patch. Your charms in the corners of the 9 patch. The solid on the sides of the 9 patch, and the cornerstone would be in the center of the 9 patch. Then you can arrange them in the falling charms order. Ann

Power Poster
    If one uses the same size squares in a disappearing 9-patch, the proportions are slightly different, but the effect is the same.

Thank-you for the additional suggestions on making this block they have all been helpful and I appreciate each and every post!
    Smiles from Idaho,
    Onalee

South East Michigan...at the bottom of the thumb!
    I wondered about disappearing 9 patch myself!

Blog Entries
    I think you may be making it harder for yourself (we all tend to do that at times). You are simply adding a strip to a charm (5" square to a 2.5" x 5" strip). Then you are adding a 2.5" square (cornerstone) to a 5" x 2.5" strip and adding that the other piece. Take a look at just one block in the quilt and it will be easier to see.

Blog Entries
    We are doing the D9P, I printed the photo as a possible layout.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

Power Poster
    The finished proportions will be different if using same-size strips/blocks for making it D9P method.

See attached.

Power Poster
    After measuring the picture, it seems like the proportions used are approximately 3 to 7 (by using 1/8 inch increments on my screen) or 6 to 13 (by using 1/16 inch increments on my screen.

Power Poster
    One can adapt the d9p method to making any of the units shown in the attached drawing.

One just has to figure out what size to cut the strips to make it work.

Power Poster
    If you want to strip piece a "modified D9P" that will make a 9" finished ABCD unit, this might work:

The third drawing with the cutting lines should have matched the larger drawing - but I did not want to redraw it. I hope you can imagine that they are the same.

If you do the disappearing 9 patch using 5" charms, after you cut the block in to 4, the resulting blocks will be 7", exactly the same as the original block mentioned. If you cut a charm in half you will have (2) 2.5 x 5 for the sides. If you cut a charm into 4, you will have 2.5 x 2.5 for the cornerstone.

Power Poster
    j
    Quote Originally Posted by krafty14 View Post
    If you do the disappearing 9 patch using 5" charms, after you cut the block in to 4, the resulting blocks will be 7", exactly the same as the original block mentioned. If you cut a charm in half you will have (2) 2.5 x 5 for the sides. If you cut a charm into 4, you will have 2.5 x 2.5 for the cornerstone.
    after allowing for 1/4 inch seams, the "finished" size of the ABCD unit will be 6-1/2 inches. the "unfinished" size of the ABCD unit will be 7 inches.

the original poster sent a pm to me that she wanted to make 9 inch ABCD units, that is what the last drawings were for.

The d9p has more applications than I realized. Thanks for the info.

I've used the disappearing 9 patch and also the 5" with the sashing. The second was tons easier. I found the D9P a real pain in the tush. My first gripe is that it seems like you finally get it pieced and then you cut it up and start over again. Then the seams don't nest. (Maybe it was just because the D9P was my first quilt.) The second one was so much easier to get the seams to nest. Everything was just so much easier.

Every time I think D9p, I think "never again" and I just realized why. Once you make the 9 patch and cut it up, you can't fix anything. Of course, I'll never make Jenny Doan's "quartered stripes" again, either. I would make the 5" charm with sashing and corner stones again at least one more time. It was easy and easy to match up the seams and you can always fix a mistake right up to the end.

bkay

Power Poster
    If you want to use the ABCD pieces cut individually for a 9x9 "finished size unit:

A - 3-1/2 x 6-1/2
    B - 3-1/2 x 3-1/2
    C - 6-1/2 x 6-1//2
    D- 3-1/2 x 6-1/2

Or if you want to "strip piece" to make an ABCD unit

Cut strip for A - 6-1/2 inches wide
    Cut strip for B - 3-1/2 inches wide

Sew A and B strips together - cut at 3-1/2 inch intervals

Cut strip for C - 6-1/2 inches
    Cut strip for D - 3-1/2 inches

Sew C and D strips together - cut at 6-12 inch intervals.

Sew the AB and CD pieces together.

This is probably the way I would assemble the unit if using yardage.

I would do the piece-by-piece assembly if I was using scraps.

I made a quilt entirely from 5" squares, cutting some in half, sewing half to another square, and cutting again which gave me 2 strip plus cornerstone pairs.
    Retired math teacher --
    I CAN FIGURE IT OUT!

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    How I would assemble the unit:

One could strip piece the C and D units, but if using 5 inch charm squares, as far as I can tell, A and B have to be individually sewn.

D would be cut 2.5 (2-1/2) inches wide and C would be cut 5 inches wide, and then the sewn strips would be sub-cut into 2.5 inch b 7 inch pieces.

The ABCD unfinished unit should measure 7 x 7 inches and then "finish" at 6.5 x 6.5 inches

(This is assuming the use of 5 inch squares and 2.5 inch wide strips)
    This is perfect.