Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you join a bus trip to a quilt guild show? >

Would you join a bus trip to a quilt guild show?

Would you join a bus trip to a quilt guild show?

Old 04-10-2018, 04:54 PM

Prism99 - I have severe motion sickness (yes, I have used those airplane bags😄&#128516. I used to take Dramamine - had to take a pill every 3 hours or so and it didn’t always work. My sister, a retired nurse, sugggested I try OTC Meclizine. It’s terrific and I don’t get sick at all anymore. Yiu can just go to any pharmacy and ask for it. Sam’s Club charged me $6.00 several years ago for a bottle of 25mg - 100 pills. Super cheap. Walgreens was a little more expensive - think around $11 for same size and count - still cheap. I can now read in a moving vehicle, fly and eat my lunch and everything - all for one pill every 24 hours. I’m not selling this, not a representative or anything - just so glad my sister told me about it.

Sandy un Moorresville, NC
Old 04-10-2018, 04:57 PM

Excuse my spelling if where I live - it’s Mooresville, ;x
Old 04-10-2018, 05:00 PM

I would go in a minute, but I would make sure that when signing up you tell them about your problems. Ask for the first seat on the bus. It is the least claustrophobic. You'll make new friends and can read, do handwork, talk or whatever.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:10 PM

I always say you should try it at least once....bring some crackers to soak up the stomach acid, head phones for music or ebook....and Shopping bags for the show!! Have fun!

however, since it takes you 40 mins to get to bus, you are almost half-way there anyway so you'd be taking the bus to avoid parking...
Old 04-10-2018, 05:40 PM

I am hoping to go for at least one day. I am fortunate that I have several relatives that I can stay with in the area. It will be my first experience going to a big quilt show.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:10 PM
Power Poster

So much good information!

Thanks, ArtsyOne, for posting about the parking ramp across the street. That makes driving much less intimidating for me.

And ladyinpurple, thanks for the meclizine suggestion. I looked it up on Amazon and it sounds as if it will be very helpful for my motion sickness. I will suggest my husband try it the next time he has a vertigo episode too.

I think I will not do the bus trip, mostly because it's a 40-minute drive just to get to the quilt shop where the bus leaves and then, of course, a 40-minute drive back home from the quilt shop afterwards. As Teen pointed out, I'd be taking the bus just to avoid parking, which it turns out is not a problem for this show.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:02 AM

Do it! I say this because I did a bus trip to different quilt shops two years ago by myself and knew no one....still had so much fun! Trips such as this are chartered buses, with bath rooms, air conditioning/heat. Ours included lunch served at one of the shops, and the guides served as fun interesting game playing women! You'll probably have a seat mate to chat with, and the women are very friendly. I'd do it again in a heart beat.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:40 AM

Having to get to the bus before 8:00 a.m. and living 40 minutes away would be the deal breaker for me. I don't sleep well and it's not unusual for me to still be awake at 1:00-3:00 a.m... especially if I need to get somewhere in the morning. I'd be too tired to enjoy the show.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt View Post
I would definitely go on the bus. All quilters I have met are fun and inviting. I would have a batch of new friends at the end of the ride.
I was going to post something similar...that I’ve never met an unfriendly quilter. Some are more chatty than others, but they are all friendly. If the noise bothers you (or the chatting), take a set of earplugs to your smartphone and listen to music or watch a video. Most of the commercial buses have free WiFi.

You would find me on the bus...
Old 04-11-2018, 06:38 AM

Yes!!! In a few moments, I will get to know the passengers around me. Even if you drive, the trip is the same as if you went on the bus, 4 hours round trip. There are motion sickness pills you could take or drink ginger ale. Noise?, ear plugs or you could just let yourself GO and join the fun. Make some noise!!! Girls just want to have fun.!