Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you pay this for a Featherweight? >

Would you pay this for a Featherweight?

Would you pay this for a Featherweight?

Old 12-20-2010, 10:20 AM
Banned

I am not sure if the Tan is more rare than the Green but I think your right about that. I know that they rarely show up and when they do be ready to pull out the bank account.

Billy
Old 12-20-2010, 10:22 AM

BUY IT. Don't like? Resell later. It's apparently a good deal.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:53 AM

Unless it is really bad condition I wouldn't hesitate for a single second! I couldn't write that $300 check out fast enough!!!!
Old 12-20-2010, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I am not sure if the Tan is more rare than the Green but I think your right about that. I know that they rarely show up and when they do be ready to pull out the bank account.

Billy
Yes, tan machines are rarer than the so-called green/white machines.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
For a Tan FW I would give that in a New York second!! I dont care if it was locked up or not, if it is in good cosmetic condition that is a steal!!

Billy
I hear you! If I had too I would strip that baby down and put her back together!
Old 12-20-2010, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by dreamer2009
I believe on the tan one and the white ones that the power cord does not detach.
The foot pedal/power cord is hardwired to the white/green ones but not the tan ones.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Enchanted Quilter
Make sure you check out the serial # & get pic before you buy of the black box & sewing attachments. Go online and make sure its a real one not one of the dupes thats out now. I have a 221K love it .
"Dupes"? Are you referring to machines that have been refurbished and painted or the alpha sew "replica" machines?
The Alpha Sew is only made in black. A refurbished machine is generally a 221, not a 221-K, so a tan 221-1 would look like a tan 221-1 not a 221-K. There is a difference.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by dixiechunk
Make sure you check out the serial # & get pic before you buy of the black box & sewing attachments. Go online and make sure its a real one not one of the dupes thats out now. I have a 221K love it .
"Dupes"? Are you referring to machines that have been refurbished and painted or the alpha sew "replica" machines?
The Alpha Sew is only made in black. A refurbished machine is generally a 221, not a 221-K, so a tan 221-1 would look like a tan 221-1 not a 221-K. There is a difference.
Explain what the difference is!!!
Old 12-20-2010, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by featherweight
The best way for me to do this is list the characteristics that make the machines different other than the color.

A 221 (and 221-1) is the original machine and what most people call a Featherweight. It has a black japanned finish and an extension bed that is just a hair more than 5" long.
The face plate can be one of two fancy, scrolled versions or the later striated version. These face places are unpainted aluminum. It can have one of two types of gold decals - the older fancy one or the later "paperclip" style. The tension mechanism can be unnumbered (older) or numbered. There are two types of foot pedals made of bakelite. The badge or medallion on the arm is metal and riveted on. The white or mint green version 221K) has an extension bed that is shorter (just over 3"). The faceplate is aluminum but is painted the same color of the machine...no scrolls, no fancy work. The power cord/foot pedal is hardwired into the machine and the pedal is wider than it is tall (unlike the original black machines). The badge is just a decal that is stuck on. The tan model (221J) has the longer 5" extension bed, the plain painted metal faceplate, and the foot pedal/power cord is not hardwired. It too, has a decal-type badge.
So, what I was trying to say is if you have a "tan FW" and you have doubts as to whether it is original (a real 221J) look at its other features. If it has a scrolled or striated faceplate it probably is an original 221FW that has been refurbished and painted tan to make it look like a tan FW. There are so few tan machines out there most people aren't going to take a rare tan machine and repaint it...they're going to leave it tan.
Did I confuse the issue even more?

PS I double checked some machines on ebay right now and looked up in Nancy Johnson-Srebo's book to clarify..."J" machines are the real deal tan machines and "K"s the white/green machine.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by featherweight
The best way for me to do this is list the characteristics that make the machines different other than the color.

A 221 (and 221-1) is the original machine and what most people call a Featherweight. It has a black japanned finish and an extension bed that is just a hair more than 5" long.
The face plate can be one of two fancy, scrolled versions or the later striated version. These face places are unpainted aluminum. It can have one of two types of gold decals - the older fancy one or the later "paperclip" style. The tension mechanism can be unnumbered (older) or numbered. There are two types of foot pedals made of bakelite. The badge or medallion on the arm is metal and riveted on. The white or mint green version 221K) has an extension bed that is shorter (just over 3"). The faceplate is aluminum but is painted the same color of the machine...no scrolls, no fancy work. The power cord/foot pedal is hardwired into the machine and the pedal is wider than it is tall (unlike the original black machines). The badge is just a decal that is stuck on. The tan model (221J) has the longer 5" extension bed, the plain painted metal faceplate, and the foot pedal/power cord is not hardwired. It too, has a decal-type badge.
So, what I was trying to say is if you have a "tan FW" and you have doubts as to whether it is original (a real 221J) look at its other features. If it has a scrolled or striated faceplate it probably is an original 221FW that has been refurbished and painted tan to make it look like a tan FW. There are so few tan machines out there most people aren't going to take a rare tan machine and repaint it...they're going to leave it tan.
Did I confuse the issue even more?

PS I double checked some machines on ebay right now and looked up in Nancy Johnson-Srebo's book to clarify..."J" machines are the real deal tan machines and "K"s the white/green machine.
I have the book and have read it cover to cover. You made it sound like they were nothing alike. It is still a Featherweight, no matter what color it is. Or if it is a 221j or k. What we were tring to tell you was that they are still authenic Featherweights. Sorry for the misunderstanding!!!