Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: would you rip this out?

would you rip this out?

This is my frozen quilt and I took the advice of the ladies on here to go around the girls in the panel and the do stippling all around the rest of the quilt

This is the problem I am having.. I think it is from going to fast around, I ended up with eye lashes on some of the design. I am using pink thread on the back and the colors to match the parts of the panel on the top. This was black on the top and the pink on the back. you can see where the black thread shows on the back of the quilt as eye lashes, would you rip this part out and try and do it again.. is there anything that I may be doing wrong to get the eye lashes? Thanks for your help
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am so sorry that you had this problem. Yes, you are probably are going around curves too fast. We are all under the gun to finish our Xmas gifts but just slow down. Since you are making it for a little one, I would redo and learn a hard lesson. There is washing to be done and not sure with an off balance stitches will hold for long. Good Luck.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    When I first began fmq, I would nervously move my leg over and lift the pressure foot just a little while turning the fabric. That created a lot of problems for me until I figured out what I was doing. Now I just take the leg lever off when I am FMQing. I also agree with Maniac; it might be from going too fast on the curves.
    KEEP CALM and CARRY ON!!

Many professional longarmers refuse to use different colors thread on top and in the bobbin just because it is hard to adjust the tension perfectly. I don't think you need to take this out, because it will probably not show up this much after the quilt is washed. Even if it does, the quilt is for a child, and the child will never notice, or care, in fact most people who see the quilt would never notice.

Thanks, I will slow down and will rip it out.. I hate to rip but don't want the thread to come off in the wash.. Thanks so much.. next year I am staring my Christmas present in July..LOL

Just remember, it's your hands you need to slow down around the curves, not your machine.

Rob

I agree with Dunster - the kid will never notice. When I give a quilt, I also give a promise to do any mending for it as long as I live. You could do that and just wait and see if it needs it.

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't rip it out. Most of that problem will disappear with the first wash. Anything that's left will not be noticed by anyone but you.

ok now I am really confused to rip or not...MMMM I think I will chance it and let it be, I really don't have time to do all this ripping out. so hope it will be ok.. but I will tell the mom if it falls apart I will fix it or make her little girl another one.. Good advice Material Witness ...it does look fine from the front so maybe they won't look to close at the back... I also will try to do better with my FMQ...Thanks so much..

I would not rip. Those look minuscule compared to what I do. Mine had to be ripped out. You could see them from across the room.

I personally would rip it out, but it's probably fine to leave it. I would check your machine tension by doing a quick practice sandwich with straight stitching to see how it comes out. If you're still getting eyelashes, try lowering the top tension. If that doesn't work, try raising it. If all else fails, adjust the bobbin tension. Once you can stitch a straight line without eyelashes, you need to make a decision to either slow down your hands or speed up your machine; I do the latter. Often just the tiniest increase in speed will dramatically improve stitch formation.

Good luck & happy quilting!

Blog Entries
    I vote: send it on and carry on.

No ripping. Best wishes.
    Fraew

"I don't buy vintage quilts. By the time I finish the quilts I've started they've already become antiques." ~ Mark Lipinski
    Link to my albums: http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...85-albums.html

If those are the worst of the eyelashes ... I would bind it, wash it, then check it and see if the shrinkage of the fabric and batting helped to relax those stitches. If not, then you can rip it.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

I had some small eyelashes like that and left them but they did not hold up to regular use when I left them in. They started to break and come apart so now I rip them out.

The reason I would rip it out is because those stitches will be much looser. If you pull on them they will pucker up. Maybe washing will solve this but it would be harder to rip them out if the quilt has been washed. I also think it is because you are going around the curves too fast and I also use the same thread top and bobbin. Let us know what you decide and how it turns out.
    Alyce

Blog Entries
    I think it depends on the intended use. If it is more of a wall hanging or a special quilt that won't be used a lot or washed a lot, then I'd leave it. If it is for a child who will use it a lot and thus need to be laundered a lot, then I'd rip.
    AudreyB
    Those who sleep under quilts are covered with love.

Blog Entries
    I would leave. The child will only see the picture on top and first wash will cover up.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Gay
    Blog Entries
    If the pink is the back, I would tighten the top tension a little. But remember, if you are changing colours on the top, each colour may need adjusting due to the thickness of the thread. I wouldn't worry too much about what is already done.

I agree with several others. If that is as bad as it is, leave it. I think that washing will take care of some of it.

If you know the child well, tell them if for any reason, some of the stitching comes loose, give it back and you will fix it.

By the way, you do every nice fmq stippling. When I attempt to do it, my curves come out like jagged points.

Blog Entries
    Those stitches will come out very easily. Simply snip the threads every few inches and the thread that is the straighter one will simply pull out of the eyelashes. It is for a child. I would want the stitching to be strong, those are not strong stitches. And remember....SLOW AND STEADY WINS THE RACE. Your hands are moving too fast, not the machine.

I just quilted a quilt with ocher (yellowish) thread on top and red thread on the bottom. Almost every stitch has a tiny spot of red showing. I love the look. Maybe it will break, but I love it now. I'm leaving it.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

ro
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    and who is goin to look so close.

It looks like you have been caught by the swoop factor as you went around some of those curves. I used to have that problem of a tendency toward speeding up around the curves. make a special effort to keep an even speed as you go around.
    As far as taking it out-- it bugged you enough to ask so you probably will not be happy unless you do take it out.

I wouldn't rip. (It is, after all the back.) Try massaging the seam a little to ease part of the excess back into the batting. Could your bobbin tension be too tight?
    Retired math teacher --
    I CAN FIGURE IT OUT!

NO! Don't rip it out! You run the risk of making little holes here and there. It looked fine to me. She will think that is the way you wanted it. Blessings.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast