Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you rush? >

Would you rush?

Would you rush?

Old 10-10-2016, 03:40 AM

I hope you decided to bite the bullet and are working on it. The QB will be here for you to catch up when you are done. We look forward to seeing the picture.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:12 AM

I would not rush. I always feel that it's better to give wedding gifts before or after the wedding date. There is so much going on and everything is a blur to the happy couple. I would send my gift after the honeymoon or have it waiting for them when they return and can appreciate the gesture.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
I would take a picture of the quilt top and put it in a lovely card with a note to say you are finishing it especially for them.
I agree with this. It seems that you are making it for them, so....quilt it the way you would if you were not on a 'deadline'. As for getting it to them, surely you will see them in the near future....A quilt is something personal between both giver and receiver.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:33 AM

Since you are also giving a cash gift, I would take the time to quilt it as you like to quilt and mail it later. Since it's a gift, I would want to give it my full attention. Looking forward to pics!
Old 10-10-2016, 09:20 AM
mac

Rushing always makes for an accident waiting to happen. Have you ever noticed that? This is when the machine acts up or you suddenly realize that the long piece of material you bought for the backing has a "marriage" in it that you didn't see when you bought the fabric.

My opinion would be to take a picture of it and let them know that they can expect their quilt after they come back from their honeymoon. They certainly won't be needing it before then and this will give you the space and breathing room you need to do a good job on it. No fuss, no muss. I can understand wanting to give it to them at the wedding, but we need to remember that we need to be kind to ourselves and not stress ourselves more than we have to.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:49 AM

I like the tradition in the South, where there is a bridal shower about 2 - 3 weeks before the wedding....all the gifts are opened then. Then at the wedding, there is nothing to do but enjoy the wedding and reception.

That being said, like someone else stated, most of the time, the gifts are not opened at the weddings. They are opened upon the couples arrival back home, so I would take my time quilting the quilt. It will be a surprise for them.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
I would take a picture of the quilt top and put it in a lovely card with a note to say you are finishing it especially for them.
Excellent idea! I would bet they wouldn't open gifts until they return from their honeymoon anyway. Don't rush.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:41 AM

No - I did that once for a niece's baby shower present - a baby quilt. I made a couple of big mistakes on it - one cutting a hole in it by a hurried accident. No points matched due to being in a hurry.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:48 AM

I like the idea of the photo in the card. The couple would then know how special you think they are that the quilt is being quilted specially for them.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:59 AM

Take a pic and put a note the quilt will arrive at a later date.