Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you want to have someone mention it to you? >

Would you want to have someone mention it to you?

Would you want to have someone mention it to you?

Old 08-31-2012, 08:24 AM
Power Poster

It seems like the majority of responders would like to have someone question (gently/nicely/politely) something that seems 'out of place' before the item has been quilted.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
It seems like the majority of responders would like to have someone question (gently/nicely/politely) something that seems 'out of place' before the item has been quilted.
Now the follow-up question would have to be...how many of those who said they'd want to know about a mistake in their own work would tell someone else there was an 'oops' in theirs without being asked first?
Old 08-31-2012, 10:10 AM
Power Poster

I probably would - but I would pose it as a question -

"That block seems to be facing differently that the other - is it supposed to?"

"The flowers in the fourth border seem to be cut from a 'different place/stripe' than the other borders - had you noticed that?"

"That piece of fabric seems to be reversed from the others - is that a design element? If so, maybe it would look better if you turned over more than one?"

I'm tired of the hearing about the 'humility block' - that just seems arrogant sounding to me. I think most of us make enough unintentional mistakes without having to make a 'humility block.'
Old 08-31-2012, 10:49 AM
Power Poster

I would want to know so I could make the choice of wether to correct it or not. I would not feel bad unless the person informing me was laughing at me rather than with me. I make pleanty of mistakes and have no problem with being told about them. OOPs!
Old 08-31-2012, 01:41 PM

Would I tell someone of a "mistake" in their quilt? I think that depends on the relationship I have with the quilter. Even then, I'd probably say something about my "old eyes" making the quilt look different in one area and wonder if I was just seeing things that weren't really there.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I'm tired of the hearing about the 'humility block' - that just seems arrogant sounding to me. I think most of us make enough unintentional mistakes without having to make a 'humility block.'
The notion that the Amish intentionally make a mistake in all their quilts is completely untrue. It would be extremely vain for anyone to do such a thing, prideful to say the least....and the Amish are neither.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:21 PM

I would judge this by how well I think the person would want to know. I would want to know, but if it was a beginner who was bursting with pride over their accomplishment, I would hate to burst their bubble. But, I might suggest that something might look better another way...in a way that makes them see what I mean!
Old 08-31-2012, 09:11 PM

I would want it mentioned, finished or not...shoot...I point out mistakes I've made to others, lol.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:16 PM

i followed a woman at the mall today and finally got close enough to get her attention. her skirt was caught in her underwear. i would want to know. she was glad i told her and embarrassed that no one else had said anything. same deal. if something is "wrong" you want to know, even if you wish it wasn't so. i just finished a dq and one of the blocks was way off. fortunately, it goes with the theme of the dq, but it wasn't intended. so don't tell anyone !LOL
Old 08-31-2012, 09:37 PM

Yes, I would want to know. Maybe I couldn't fix that quilt but seeing the mistake sure would make me pay more attention on the xext quilt.