Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you want to have someone mention it to you? >

Would you want to have someone mention it to you?

Would you want to have someone mention it to you?

Old 08-30-2012, 07:02 AM

For me, it would depend on many things. Do I know you? Do I like you? Are you an annoying person in general? Am I making this as a keepsake for a very important person in my life? Or is it a throw for the back of the couch in the winter? Is it something easy to fix? Is it a scrappy quilt I'm making for fun? Is it so obvious that it's ugly? Or does it add character?

I had a friend point out a mistake on one of my quilts, but I absolutely love how she did it. "Oh, I see you were creative and did this one different. " I looked and realized the block was upside down. It was a simple fix and we laughed about it.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:29 AM

I'd only want to know if it was still fixable. After the quilt is done (quilted, bound) I'd rather not have my mistake pointed out to me - because I'll never to be able to see anything but the mistake after that. But, if there is still time to fix it, I definitely would want to know (and certainly I don't ever want to hear "Oh, I noticed that weeks ago" after the quilt is finished).
Old 08-30-2012, 07:44 AM

Personally, I would want to know.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:00 AM

If I have asked someone to check the quilt before I get it together, I want him/her to ask why such and such a block is turned differently, etc. I want to know if he/she thinks another color for the border or another width would be better. And if you are my best friend and we are talking quilts, yes. "Hey, is that what you meant to do? Or did you think about this?" But since I am mostly of the "will it be seen from a galloping horse?" persuasion and since I have become very suspicious of the motives of those who feel they have been divinely called to be critics, I usually want the QUILT POLICE to keep their opinions/suggestions to themselves. froggyintexas
Old 08-30-2012, 10:22 AM

I read something interesting about the Amish and their quilting. When they quilt, they deliberatly make one mistake because they believe that only God is perfect.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:26 AM

i dont view that as quilt police....i hate the ones who come up and say...gee, it looks like you had a bad day when trying to make those seams match...or...that blue really isnt the right shade....but to see a misaligned piece, i would want to know so i could possibly fix it before its quilted and then too late...especially if its a gift...as for the other critiques....i totally disregard them....it also lets me see the true person they are...then i avoid them & have less respect for them...monica in texas
Old 08-30-2012, 11:28 AM
Power Poster

Yup! It's kinda like have lipstick on your teeth!
Tell me! Tell me! Tell me!!!!!
Old 08-30-2012, 11:59 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I had all my blocks put together and showed it to my friend and she noticed the one that was sewn in backwards. I was so glad she saw that. It was a king. I was able to fix it. I would for sure want to know, but only in a helpful manner. Don't make me feel bad about myself while you are telling me about it. Whisper it to me. A whisper always seems like a kind way of telling someone something you really want to be helpful about. I was able to fix it right away. I would have been upset to have sent it to the LAers with the mistake. I really like the gal and the way she whispered my goof to me. No one was around, so there was no need to whisper, but it just made everything okay. Felt like she was being a good friend. Kind of like when there's something in your nose. You want to know, but not be embarrassed by it. Whisper it to me. I'll take it like you're being helpful.

Last edited by jcrow; 08-30-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:18 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
Nope. I'm not blind. If there is an error, you can be sure I've seen it.
I like to think I catch errors - like in proof-reading - but sometimes I've just gone over it so many times, I literally do not 'see' something that might be awry.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
I would not mind someone saying something, but it would be better if it was said in private and then only said in a kind way.

I have trouble with my hands, and for a while I was knitting and the only way I could do it had my stitches crossed in one direction and not crossed in another. I had someone who loved the scarf I was making but when she saw my stitches she started to lecture and called other folks to comment and re-enforce how awful it was. Even when I told them why, they continued the tirade. It was in a class at a yarn shop -- I have never been back.
Now that was just mean! I wonder how many customers those women have run off.

As for wanting to know if I've made a mistake in my quilt ~~ as long as it's still a flimsy and fixable, I definitely want to know.

If it's been quilted, no!

I was told a long, long time ago when I bought a Navajo blanket in Flagstaff, AZ, that every blanket has a small mistake called a Spirit Hole.

And that, my friends, is what I call any mistake found after the quilt is finished.

I also take photos of the design wall as I design my quilts. Sometimes stepping away and coming back into the room will make a booboo jump out at you. My BFF is also a quilter and I've had her help me take a last minute "Look see" to make sure everything is the way I want it to be.