Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you want to know if someone notices a flaw? >

Would you want to know if someone notices a flaw?

Would you want to know if someone notices a flaw?

Old 01-29-2011, 11:39 AM

If I could fix a quilting mistake, then tell me. I ask my readers to let me know if they find a typo in my books. If possible, I try to fix them before the next printing.
I'm a perfectionist but nothing is ever perfect. There is also a right and wrong way to tell someone there is an error. I'd want to know, but don't display it in some public manner.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:50 AM

If the project is in the design stage and can be fairly easily repaired, then a PM is appropriate. Never should you point out a perceived flaw in an open forum. If someone asks for opinions and assistance, then they have opened the door for you to offer your opinion, but it should be done in a constructive and helpful way. If the project is completed and the flaw cannot be fixed, then no, nothing should be said. I would assume that anyone posting a finished project/quilt on this forum is looking for a little affirmation that they've done a good job. They are not looking for criticism. At least I'm not looking for criticism as a beginning quilter. Believe me, I see many flaws when I critique my own work and I am learning which areas I need help with. I will ask for help when needed.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:57 AM
k3n
Power Poster

I absolutely want to know! Unless like dunster said I've quilted it already!
Old 01-29-2011, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Margaret61
As a person who is new to quilting .I have many that have flaws ..But Bottom line is ,I Live in a world where no one else quilts with me .Nor do they quilt for them selves .
But they are all very very critical. So i spend my time trying to apologize for it not being purfect. I once was told by an instructor that im too hard on myself . bottom Line is - if someone thinks they can do better - Then Please do it . I quilt for myself and my family. I just want to make memories for my children and family to remember me for.
Margaret
I say a big fat AMEN to the above. :thumbup:
Old 01-29-2011, 12:39 PM

I made a quilt to be raffled off for Commitment to Kids in honor of my husbands Aunt who passed away very unexpectedly as this was her big charity. I was proud of the quilt (I was a relatively new quilter at the time) and someone pointed out that one of the squares was tipped the wrong way, I don't recall the pattern, it was a long time ago, however, I do rememder who made the comment and to this day when I see that person I remember the incident.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:45 PM

I don't see anything here but a beautiful quilt! :)
Old 01-29-2011, 12:50 PM

I'd want to know. Definately!
Old 01-29-2011, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt301
I would prolly want to know but would not fix it after it was all quilted. Here is one that took forever to make and a friend found a mistake when I put it on my blog.

It is staying there because I did heavy quilting. I still love it.
This quilt is so precious! And any flaw will only make it unique, IMO. :-)

I would want to know, BTW.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:12 PM

I learned long ago that the reason I have so many WIPs is because I am so hard on myself to be as near perfect as possible. I am the first to point out my mistakes when showing my quilts. A friend keeps reminding me of the quilting police and said to get busy and finish, don't report my errors. They are often not noticed; if they are, chances are I won't be told, but I would rather know than have viewers talk about it behind my back.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:13 PM

luvs2quilt-----that quilt is just beautiful. I would have been one who didn't notice if you hadn't mentioned it, and then I had difficulty finding it.