Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 161

Thread: Would you want to know if someone notices a flaw?

  1. #76
    Power Poster Annaquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    10,784
    If it was done and put together, no thanks.

  2. #77
    Super Member DeeBooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Syracuse,NY
    Posts
    1,528
    Quote Originally Posted by luvstoquilt301
    I would prolly want to know but would not fix it after it was all quilted. Here is one that took forever to make and a friend found a mistake when I put it on my blog.

    It is staying there because I did heavy quilting. I still love it.
    It took me a long time to find the mistake...it's still beautiful!

  3. #78
    Super Member EagarBeez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Eagar, Arizona
    Posts
    1,640
    Unless someone asked an opinion, then I would give one. I am no where near as what I would call professional. I read other blogs and it was said, a quilt that is finished is better then one not done, or something to that effect. I also found that a majority state that they are not on point sometimes, but, to the recipent, they don't know this. Quilts are made with love, and unless it is a quilt that someone wants to put in a show, I probably would not point anything out, as I know how I strive to be better, and I know when I am not quite on point, but, I am proud of what I did

  4. #79
    Senior Member Stitchalong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Battle Creek, Michigan
    Posts
    375
    I am here to learn and would like constructive help. Like anything it is not what you say, but how you say it. I have not posted any pictures of my quilts out of insecurity. One of the things I enjoy most on this forum, is the way the majority of you encourage and praise. When I do post, if my error great, please save me the embarassment and send me a pm. I want to know, but privately.

  5. #80
    Guest
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,156
    I'd want to know. However even if every single person on this board said the same, I wouldn't say a word to them because I don't really know anybody here and often times what people say they want and what they really want are two different things. Amongst my half dozen closest friends...I'd speak up.

  6. #81
    Senior Member Laura22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    414
    Blog Entries
    6
    I'm not a perfectionist in my quilting or in any other aspect of my life, I would be fine with someone pointing out a mistake in one that was unfinished. Like Design wall or pieced top stage, but not thrilled to hear it if it was a mistake on a finished quilt. Maybe if I said, I plan to enter this quilt in xyz show, you might want to mention the problem to me ;)

  7. #82
    Super Member Minnisewta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,013
    Isn't their a says something like "Only god can make it perfect, that's why I put the mistake in it"

  8. #83
    Super Member LucyInTheSky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,786
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    in amish quilting they put in a turned block or some (error) in every quilt, because they know only god can do perfect.
    I had always heard that. But then someone pointed out that most likely it was a made up story to justify a mistake that you didn't notice. Because if you think you purposefully have to make a mistake otherwise your quilt will be perfect, that in itself is prideful and comparing yourself to God. Interesting take on that

  9. #84
    Super Member IrishNY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    was Upstate NY, now Winston-Salem NC
    Posts
    2,191
    Quote Originally Posted by RST
    I think I would most certainly want to know if it was in design wall stage or even if pieced but not yet quilted. Once it's quilted, there's not much you can do about it, and at that point all I would want to hear is that you love the way I incorporated that one unique block to make the work so much more interesting and personal ;)

    RST
    I agree with RST - say something about the problem before quilting, but just say "beautiful" after quilting.

  10. #85
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    304
    This has been an enlightening conversation. Here's my story: I recently longarmed a quilt for a friend. The alternate blocks were 8" panel squares to which she had added a pieced border of half-square triangles, with the triangles pointing outward. When the quilting was done, I put it on my bed for pictures. I uploaded the pictures, and right in the middle of the first one was one of the panel squares with one pieced border of triangles pointing inward. It was glaring in the picture, but neither of us had noticed it during the piecing or the quilting.

    When she came to pick up the finished quilt up, after she had looked at the quilting design and was quite happy with that, I told her I had something to show her. I apologized for not catching it while I was quilting, and she completely understood - after all, she'd been up close and personal to the quilt herself and hadn't seen it. I told her if she wanted to remove the quilting stitches and flip the border so it was like the others, I'd be glad to requilt that part of it for her.

    After thinking about it, that's exactly what she decided to do. She plans to enter it into the local quilt show and didn't want the mistake to be left in the quilt. I'm glad I said something to her, and we joke about it, because that's what friends can do. If someone else had pointed it out to her, she might have been offended, embarrassed, or otherwise upset about it.

    As for myself, I'd want to know about it, but I'd prefer the mistake be mentioned to me in a PM rather than publicly.

  11. #86
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Tallmadge, OH
    Posts
    5,055
    I looked for a flaw but I couldn't find any. Very pretty quilt!

  12. #87
    Senior Member skothing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Galloway,Ohio
    Posts
    624
    Blog Entries
    2
    no. I ask if I want a comment but generally I know if something isn't working.
    Also it is bad manners to point at in-professions.

  13. #88
    Super Member debbieoh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sheffield vlg Ohio
    Posts
    2,374
    NO WAY LOL!!! it would take people along time to tell me everything I did wrong on my quilts. besides the mistakes is what gives them character

  14. #89
    Super Member seamstome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,337
    If it wasnt quilted and finished, yes I would want to know because I might be able to fix it. After it is done, it is done.

  15. #90
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    netherlands
    Posts
    854
    No, I wouldn't tell, not after it's being finished. And before that? Only if I knew the quilter and had some idea of how she would feel about it.
    I don't see a mistake in your quilt though , it's lovely.

  16. #91
    Junior Member Quilt-Writer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    EasternTennessee
    Posts
    164
    If I could fix a quilting mistake, then tell me. I ask my readers to let me know if they find a typo in my books. If possible, I try to fix them before the next printing.
    I'm a perfectionist but nothing is ever perfect. There is also a right and wrong way to tell someone there is an error. I'd want to know, but don't display it in some public manner.

  17. #92
    Senior Member quilter in the making's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    789
    Blog Entries
    8
    If the project is in the design stage and can be fairly easily repaired, then a PM is appropriate. Never should you point out a perceived flaw in an open forum. If someone asks for opinions and assistance, then they have opened the door for you to offer your opinion, but it should be done in a constructive and helpful way. If the project is completed and the flaw cannot be fixed, then no, nothing should be said. I would assume that anyone posting a finished project/quilt on this forum is looking for a little affirmation that they've done a good job. They are not looking for criticism. At least I'm not looking for criticism as a beginning quilter. Believe me, I see many flaws when I critique my own work and I am learning which areas I need help with. I will ask for help when needed.

  18. #93
    k3n
    k3n is offline
    Power Poster k3n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Somerset, England
    Posts
    10,710
    Blog Entries
    1
    I absolutely want to know! Unless like dunster said I've quilted it already!

  19. #94
    Super Member chamby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Clemmons, NC
    Posts
    1,057
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Margaret61
    As a person who is new to quilting .I have many that have flaws ..But Bottom line is ,I Live in a world where no one else quilts with me .Nor do they quilt for them selves .
    But they are all very very critical. So i spend my time trying to apologize for it not being purfect. I once was told by an instructor that im too hard on myself . bottom Line is - if someone thinks they can do better - Then Please do it . I quilt for myself and my family. I just want to make memories for my children and family to remember me for.
    Margaret
    I say a big fat AMEN to the above. :thumbup:

  20. #95
    Senior Member katiescraftshop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Upstate New york
    Posts
    521
    I made a quilt to be raffled off for Commitment to Kids in honor of my husbands Aunt who passed away very unexpectedly as this was her big charity. I was proud of the quilt (I was a relatively new quilter at the time) and someone pointed out that one of the squares was tipped the wrong way, I don't recall the pattern, it was a long time ago, however, I do rememder who made the comment and to this day when I see that person I remember the incident.

  21. #96
    Super Member CoriAmD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Lake Orion, Mich
    Posts
    1,634
    I don't see anything here but a beautiful quilt! :)

  22. #97
    Super Member bamamama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Madison, AL
    Posts
    2,015
    I'd want to know. Definately!

  23. #98
    Senior Member seymoore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    571
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by luvstoquilt301
    I would prolly want to know but would not fix it after it was all quilted. Here is one that took forever to make and a friend found a mistake when I put it on my blog.

    It is staying there because I did heavy quilting. I still love it.
    This quilt is so precious! And any flaw will only make it unique, IMO. :-)

    I would want to know, BTW.

  24. #99
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    NYS Finger Lakes Region
    Posts
    1,175
    Blog Entries
    2
    I learned long ago that the reason I have so many WIPs is because I am so hard on myself to be as near perfect as possible. I am the first to point out my mistakes when showing my quilts. A friend keeps reminding me of the quilting police and said to get busy and finish, don't report my errors. They are often not noticed; if they are, chances are I won't be told, but I would rather know than have viewers talk about it behind my back.

  25. #100
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    NYS Finger Lakes Region
    Posts
    1,175
    Blog Entries
    2
    luvs2quilt-----that quilt is just beautiful. I would have been one who didn't notice if you hadn't mentioned it, and then I had difficulty finding it.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.