Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Wouldn't it be awesome to have a laptop sewing machine??!

I love road trips - I have time catch up on reading and thinking (dh is good enough to be the main driver). But I would also LOVE to have a laptop machine - think of all the projects I could finally get to without distraction! :-D I think there'd be a market for this....

but than I wouldn't be surfing the net and catching up on here........................LOL!!

Blog Entries
    Yeah, then you could plug the machine into the cigarette lighter, or the same one you plug in the cell phone charger. With the motor going, it won't take down the battery much.

LOL, yes, and make it be a cute one, like a FW!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Naturalmama
    I love road trips - I have time catch up on reading and thinking (dh is good enough to be the main driver). But I would also LOVE to have a laptop machine - think of all the projects I could finally get to without distraction! :-D I think there'd be a market for this....
    you might be able to find a non-electric toy or featherweight machine to use on a lap desk in the car :mrgreen:

Blog Entries
    i once saw a tv spot where a husband/wife long-distance trucker team built a quilt space in the sleeping area of the cab. she was always on a shop hop LOL

I can see it now.......... then we would have to have laws that say "don't quilt and drive"

Quote Originally Posted by bakermom
    I can see it now.......... then we would have to have laws that say "don't quilt and drive"
    :lol:

We are driving to Georgia this week. I would love to have that drive time to sew!

My aunt used to sew on her Featherweight IN HER LAP. She did alot of sewing for her kids and for others and was always sitting in the living room on the sofa with her FW on her lap.

Blog Entries
    What a great idea!!

I could do that! I have a couple small battery operated machines that my grandkids use and they sew great! Just never thought about it I guess!

Blog Entries
    you ever thought about getting one of those power inverters for in your car. then you could have a lap desk with a fw on it. whooohooo

I've read about her in some quilting magazine. Neat story especially to be able to go along with DH sometimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
    i once saw a tv spot where a husband/wife long-distance trucker team built a quilt space in the sleeping area of the cab. she was always on a shop hop LOL

Oh wow! I love this idea! We've been talking about some long trips. However, we might need a bigger vehicle...like a van with the seats taken out so there would be room for a small stash, cutting/ironing board and a place for some rulers and thread.....Oh the possibilities! If we bought a bus, I could take my long arm! Somehow, I don't think my DH would go for it, LOL!

Blog Entries
    You could look for a handcrank machine.

Blog Entries
    Laptop sewing machine, hmmmmmm, that would be a Featherweight, right? Nice and light, could mount it on a nice padded board, rearrange the power input, ok, you got me thinking now. It is illegal to text and drive here in Michigan, wonder what officer would say if they pulled me over and I had a quilt going in my Featherweight.

Quote Originally Posted by sylviak
    Oh wow! I love this idea! We've been talking about some long trips. However, we might need a bigger vehicle...like a van with the seats taken out so there would be room for a small stash, cutting/ironing board and a place for some rulers and thread.....Oh the possibilities! If we bought a bus, I could take my long arm! Somehow, I don't think my DH would go for it, LOL!
    I love picturing you in the back of the bus on the long arm while zooming down the highway....lol

Silly me and all this time I thought that was what hand work was for.

Blog Entries
    Hmmm. My son has a power inverter. You can get them at Best Buy, etc. It is 400 watts, and is plugged into the ac or dc of your vehicle. They do come with less or more wattage. My son's has 4 outlets on it. We used it to go on a trip and I used the laptop and portable DVD player-plugged them in. Takes very little power, but maybe a smaller sewing machine for piecing etc. would work. Just get a table contraption for your back seat, have DH do all the driving, and you are in business.