Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wow, half yard cuts at 22 to 28 inches--isn't that amazing!! >

Wow, half yard cuts at 22 to 28 inches--isn't that amazing!!

Wow, half yard cuts at 22 to 28 inches--isn't that amazing!!

Old 07-01-2013, 11:10 AM

At most stores I have gone to, if the remnant is less than a yard, it is given at 1/2 price.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:39 AM

In Maine we are soo spoiled by Mardens generous cuts of fabric. Of late I have found a lot of very good quality fabrics there...Maywood Studio is a favorite of mine..as is Anna Griffin fabrics..RJR, Henry Glass etc.. I am a faithful customer in Brewer and Waterville Mardens stores.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:24 PM

No extra material cut where I shop at Hobby Lobby on my last shopping spree I was buying several cuts and there was only 7 inches left on one piece so I asked how much she would charge me for it and she said reg price so I just left it. she also measured what I bought very carefully. Our Hancocks also cut right on the inches. But I am still glad to have them close to where I live.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:10 PM

I work at a LQS. honestly with the cost of fabrics now days we are very careful to be accurate. Those few inches add up to yards very quickly! Small businesses in any industry struggle to compete with the big chain stores, etc. I hope you all are willing to get what you pay for.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
I went to Hancocks last week when they were having a great sale and somethings still on sale at great discount. One of the clerks was cutting yardage for me and there was about another 1/2 yard left so I told her I'd just take that also. She said she would go ahead and give that to me for an extra 50% off the discount. Basically, I would have gotten that last 1/2 yard free. I told her I didn't mind paying the price since it was such a good deal. I would have put her on notice if I were the manager of the shop. How much money was lost because of employees like this? Would've been different if this was a garage sale but it wasn't. If you figure $6.00 a yard that's a lot of money going out the door on the hour. These employees need to think like this is their wages going out the door. Loss of money loss of employment. Many of these employees shoot themselves in the foot. May have been you got the last of the bolt. If it comes from the factory it's one thing to get the extra.
That is the policy at the JoAnn's AND the Hancock's store here, so that employee may have been doing nothing wrong. +
- You tell them how much you want, and if you take whatever is remaining on the bolt, it is 50% off. If you ask for a yard, and there is a yard and a half, the last 1/2 yard is 50% off. I don't think you could ask for 1/2 a yard, and get the last 10 yards at the discount because I'm sure there is a limit to how much can be left for you to get the price cut, but it's worth paying attention to.
Carol B
Old 07-01-2013, 04:21 PM

Anybody remember the little machines that they used to run the fabric through to measure it?
Old 07-01-2013, 04:31 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

At $12 per yard the fabric costs .33 cents per inch.
"Give away" 2" per cut and that equals $0.66 loss to the shop.
If the shop sells ever 100 cuts per day (whether it's 1 yd. or 1/ yd.) they have lost $66 dollars that day.
If they are open 300 days per year, they can have lost $19,800 that year.

Puts a very different spin on this practice, doesn't it.

Jan in VA
Old 07-01-2013, 05:16 PM

Reminds me of a trip to my Hobby Lobby couple weeks ago a lady was complaining about a cut of material she paid for & she had every right to do so she paid for 3yrds & when she got home it had been cut wrong so many times there was just under 2 1/2 yards both ends were cut terribly, I'm thinking it had been wound & unwound too many times. It was a fight but she got a new cut that was accurate finally.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:23 PM

I usually get exact cuts too, but from time to time I find a store that's generous or maybe it's just the clerk...
Old 07-01-2013, 06:21 PM

I've noticed that at JoAnn's they can't give you a thread extra. I've seen them have an inch or 1 1/2 inch at the end of a bolt & cut it off instead of just giving it to me. I questioned it & the clerk just said she has to. One clerk told me they send that extra back to the company for reimbursement. Duuuh, I must have fallen off a turnip truck to believe that.
I don't know at what amt. left that they offer the bolt end for half off.

I sure understand the LQSs having to cut it right on since every inch is $.