Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wow, learning to longarm has a tough tough tough learning curve >

Wow, learning to longarm has a tough tough tough learning curve

Wow, learning to longarm has a tough tough tough learning curve

Old 10-08-2022, 12:46 PM

Even reading through the older threads, you can learn or find what you are looking for. I like to read through them. Just pulling them up will give a lot of insight to different issues and answers. Especially if it is about an older machine or product.

Last edited by quiltsfor; 10-08-2022 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-09-2022, 09:57 AM

I'm curious whether there is an issue with old threads being bumped into the current queue?
Old 10-09-2022, 02:18 PM
mkc

Originally Posted by Northern Sue View Post
I'm curious whether there is an issue with old threads being bumped into the current queue?
With a very old thread, people start answering the questions asked in the first post. That original poster has long since had their questions answered and/or may no longer be on the board.

It's always best to start a new topic with your specific questions so you can get answers to your questions, rather than lots of responses to the first post of an old topic.

Many forums have warnings pop-up when you try to respond to an old topic if it's more than 6 months old. As an admin/moderator for several other forums (not quilting-related) it creates a lot of work to split out "bumps" of old topics into their own, new topic. We do it to keep the subject on track and the information current.

Last edited by mkc; 10-09-2022 at 02:22 PM.
Old 10-09-2022, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Northern Sue View Post
They just want to see if you're paying attention
Old 10-09-2022, 03:12 PM

For the most part, I agree with MKC.

People posting new questions on old threads oftentimes get overlooked, because most readers don't realize the thread is old and respond only to the first question.

Sometimes the original thread can have helpful information, but I've seen a LOT of posts full of outdated info, old broken links to websites that no longer exist, etc.
Old 10-10-2022, 03:52 AM

The learning curve is just one reason I am more than happy to continue to quilt by check.

I've no time to make tops that will come out looking sloppy. Add that to the lack of room and unwillingness to pay over $10,000 for a long arm, and I will run up the road to my very talented quilter!
Old 10-10-2022, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsfor View Post
Even reading through the older threads, you can learn or find what you are looking for. I like to read through them. Just pulling them up will give a lot of insight to different issues and answers. Especially if it is about an older machine or product.
I just wish sometimes people*would* search the older threads. Alot of good info there and it would avoid the repeat questions - yes, you can use fleece as a backing.
Old 10-10-2022, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
They just want to see if you're paying attention
lol Apparently I wasn't paying attention at all!
Old 10-10-2022, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by mkc View Post
With a very old thread, people start answering the questions asked in the first post. That original poster has long since had their questions answered and/or may no longer be on the board.

It's always best to start a new topic with your specific questions so you can get answers to your questions, rather than lots of responses to the first post of an old topic.

Many forums have warnings pop-up when you try to respond to an old topic if it's more than 6 months old. As an admin/moderator for several other forums (not quilting-related) it creates a lot of work to split out "bumps" of old topics into their own, new topic. We do it to keep the subject on track and the information current.
Thank you for responding to my query! Is this an issue that perhaps should have a Attention Post to all on the board? TBH I didn't pay any attention to the date of the original post. I was just hoping I had suggestions of value to offer.
Old 10-12-2022, 07:13 AM

Learning to quilt nicely on your longarm will take just as much practice as it did to free motion on your domestic! It is a whole other skill set.

What really, really helped me was the wonderful series of instructional videos on YouTube by Michael Quilts. He does a great job of explaining how to approach the learning curve and build skills. Watching and following his methods was a breakthrough for me, and I loved his rulers as well:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDc...YIewEeUtu7J__A

To get straight lines, ruler quilting is your best friend!