Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
WOW!  In shock. >

WOW! In shock.

WOW! In shock.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:10 PM

A recent news story revealed that China is buying up raw cotton. They don't need it for anything in particular....they are just piling it up. They will then manipulate the price and we will pay even more for EVERYTHING containing cotton. Everything from band-aids to clothing. Soon we will all have to dress in polyester again, like we did in the late 70's.

The Chinese government is not our friend. As expensive as fabric is, you still might want to stock up now. It isn't likely to get better any time soon. I'm sticking with traditional styles and colors instead of going with the latest seasonal trends.

Perhaps it is time to start buying clothing made from hemp. Maybe someone will develop a quilt fabric line from hemp, too.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by danade
When I drove through the farm country near Bakersfield a few years ago, I passed a cotton field that had been picked clean except for some plants that had grown into a ditch, so I stopped and picked a few balls, and smoothed one out flat and incorporated it into a quilt as just a tiny way to remember the quilters in the past who had to use cotton this way, seeds and all, as batting. Wonder what they'd think about all the batting choices we have today?

Dana
Wow-----what a neat idea!
Old 12-03-2010, 07:20 PM

Earlier this year Joann's fat quarters were for $1.49 with sale price of 99 cents; this summer sometime they went up to $1.99 and go on sale for $1.49 now! I've noticed the bolt fabrics are creeping up also - all the more reason to buy now before they go up more and buy when on sale. Sure wish my pay would go up like that!!!
Old 12-03-2010, 07:48 PM
lue

I'm a cynic...maybe the price of cotton, gas, or diesel have gone up. Maybe not. I always wonder if merchants simply want to raise prices. In any case, I bought beautiful sheets (brand new) yesterday for a quilt backing for my brother's Christmas gift. $3.99!
Old 12-03-2010, 08:46 PM

I always laugh when I read about folk in USA complaining about the cost of fabric! All fabric in Australia is expensive - really expensive!
Old 12-03-2010, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S
The prices at JoAnn's has gotten more ( alot more) than I think the quality warrents.
I totally agree with this statement. They are taking Cranston holiday fabrics and marking them 9.99 a yard, just so they can run them on sale.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Annie Oakley
A recent news story revealed that China is buying up raw cotton. They don't need it for anything in particular....they are just piling it up. They will then manipulate the price and we will pay even more for EVERYTHING containing cotton. Everything from band-aids to clothing. Soon we will all have to dress in polyester again, like we did in the late 70's.

The Chinese government is not our friend. As expensive as fabric is, you still might want to stock up now. It isn't likely to get better any time soon. I'm sticking with traditional styles and colors instead of going with the latest seasonal trends.

Perhaps it is time to start buying clothing made from hemp. Maybe someone will develop a quilt fabric line from hemp, too.

Regarding China, no kidding. Those in charge of the millions working for nothing in their factories, making sure there is lead in everything that comes out of it, don't care. They have the US by the "bells" (which we females don't have) and they know it...wonderful, wonderful.
I sure hope I don't need too much of anything...my pennies won't go very far. But I will never give up on quilting.

I don't make voodoo dolls, but I can pretend that every stitch is a pin in a China doll. (Chinese Americans excluded of course.)
Old 12-03-2010, 09:21 PM
Dee

I will just use what I have. Can't afford those prices. Maybe-----just to treat myself.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
WOW How can you ladies from the UK and Canada AND Australia even afford to quilt? If I didn't have so much stash, I would give it up myself. The key word is SALE! Shop Sales and let others pay the $12 per yard for fabric.......
Because I still work fulltime. Takes away from quilting time, but at least I can afford to quilt - otherwise, I guess I would have to take up another hobby.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by pjustice63
Went to LQS on Black Friday. Moda fabrics were $11.25 a yard. Guess I will really use my stash now. I refuse to pay those prices.
I have said "I refuse to pay that" many times, but somehow, I find myself giving in when I "need" things. Many years ago when coffee was under a dollar a pound, I remember saying that I refuse to pay more than a dollar a pound for coffee -- I foolishly said that I'd learn to do without it. HA! I now pay almost 5 dollars per pound and I'm still drinking my coffee.

I agree that the price of fabric is getting out of hand -- for my pocketbook.