Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wrap-N-Zap vs. Quilter's Dream for Microwave bowls ??? >

Wrap-N-Zap vs. Quilter's Dream for Microwave bowls ???

Wrap-N-Zap vs. Quilter's Dream for Microwave bowls ???

Old 12-13-2013, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

Made a tater bag for my mom using the warm tater and it caught fire.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
Toss a piece of the batting in the microwave for 4 min. That is longer then then the bowls need to be in the mircowave to heat up food. If the batting burns then you'll know immediately. I did this with a lot of different battings. Wool was the best, never got warm but it is too fluffy for the bowls.
If you are making the bowl potholders, there will always be a bowl with some type of liquid in the potholder at the same time, so microwaving a piece of batting by itself is not a fair test. Plus, 4 minutes is probably longer than you will ever heat a bowl of anything.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:11 PM

Don't not make them for fear of a fire. I love-love-love mine..... but they rarely see the inside of a microwave. I heat the bowl of whatever and then slide it from the m/w into the holder and go from there. No burned hands when I snack on the couch or at the counter. It is used equally as much to hold a bowl of cold cereal or ice cream. My DGD's hubby ordered his own for Christmas.
I do use cotton everything tho'.
The potatoes are suppose to come out fluffier. Mine rarely do because I usually over cook them since they cook so fast. I do enjoy the warm, moist towel from them. LOL

Last edited by noahscats7; 12-13-2013 at 07:19 PM.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:49 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mckwilter View Post
If you are making the bowl potholders, there will always be a bowl with some type of liquid in the potholder at the same time, so microwaving a piece of batting by itself is not a fair test. Plus, 4 minutes is probably longer than you will ever heat a bowl of anything.
It's a pretty good test. Several of the battings I tried started scorching in less then 30 seconds. 4 min will allow the batting to burn if it is going to.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:44 AM

!!!!! The other day I was waiting on a customer & we were talking about the potato bags for microwave. Mentioned to here that I have some scorch spots on mine. She told me NEVER to set it for more than 4 minutes. If it is not done yet then put it back in again, but NEVER for then the 4 min at a time. !!!!!
Old 12-16-2013, 04:35 AM

Hmmmm, made a reply but I don't see it. So, here it is again - if you make the hot bowl hot pads or tater bags, make sure everything you use is 100% COTTON - the fabric, the batting, AND the thread. I've not had any problems with the ones I've made and I've never had to heat or reheat anything for more than a couple of minutes at the most and I have reheated at 100% power.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:49 AM

Default Warm and zap.

It’s the polyester thread if your using that will burn in microwave I’ve made several no problem with catching fire in microwave.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:24 PM
Power Poster

I put a piece of batting in the microwave for time of usual warming temp. Mine is 2 min for liquid to be very hot. If the batting is warm to the touch I don't use it. Warm and Natural has never been warm as have others scrap pieces I have no idea what they were.
Old 09-16-2019, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by noahscats7 View Post
Don't not make them for fear of a fire. I love-love-love mine..... but they rarely see the inside of a microwave. I heat the bowl of whatever and then slide it from the m/w into the holder and go from there. No burned hands when I snack on the couch or at the counter. It is used equally as much to hold a bowl of cold cereal or ice cream. My DGD's hubby ordered his own for Christmas.
I do use cotton everything tho'.
The potatoes are suppose to come out fluffier. Mine rarely do because I usually over cook them since they cook so fast. I do enjoy the warm, moist towel from them. LOL

I don't leave mine in the microwave either. I keep them atop the microwave and then slide it into the bowl when heated.
Old 09-16-2019, 04:14 PM
Power Poster

I was gifted a couple of the ( bowl cozies) a couple years ago. I love them. I do Not cook anything in them. I heat whatever I’m heating then place the hot dish in the fabric bowl to carry it to the table. I thought that’s what they were for. No worries about fires and no burnt fingers