Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: wrinkles in with MFQ

Blog Entries

wrinkles in with MFQ

I'm practicing free motion quilting on a baby quilt. Can someone tell me what's causing the type of wrinkles showing in the pink triangle? I don't see why that should be happening, and it doesn't happen most of the time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

First let me say that your quilt is so pretty. I love the colors & block design. I don't have an answer as to why you have wrinkles in the pink triangle unless maybe that area was a bit loose when you pin basted it. It certainly doesn't look to me like it will present a problem. After the quilt is washed you will never see the wrinkles. I would not be concerned if it were my quilt.

Power Poster
    ​Since you are quilting on the bias, it can cause the wrinkles. You might be able to do a small ribbon candy design between the curved stitching to disguise it.

Blog Entries
    I think it looks fine.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

I find that fabrics act differently according to their weave and/or dye amount in a fabric. Also the bias definitely helps the problem. Once laundered it will probably not make a difference.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sahansen44 View Post
    I find that fabrics act differently according to their weave and/or dye amount in a fabric. Also the bias definitely helps the problem. Once laundered it will probably not make a difference.
    I agree...some fabrics behave differently but I think it will be unnoticeable once it is washed.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Blog Entries
    Tartan - What do you mean "ribbon candy design " ? I'm not familiar with it - please explain. Thanks
    Deb

Blog Entries
    I think it looks fine. After washing you will not see that pucker or wrinkle as it will move right into the quilt. Your FMQ is nicely done. Good Job! I wouldn't worry about it.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    when quilting on the bias, it's easier to get these tiny puckers, especially when you go one direction, then go the other direction. I think that once washed this won't be noticeable.

Power Poster
    Ribbon candy looks like this but after washing the batt may puff up enough that the wrinkles may be less noticeable.Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 600
Size:  234.8 KB

It's from quilting along the bias, holding the quilt maybe a little too tightly while doing it? When it's washed and things pucker up a bit, it either won't be noticeable at all or will hardly be noticeable.
    Nobody ever went wrong with kindness.

I really love both the quilt and the material. I agree that puckering will not be noticeable after you wash it.

These are gentle curves - why not try doing them with a walking foot to see if it goes better? If not, I think what you've done looks just great.

I like that block a lot- what wrinkles?��

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mkotch View Post
    These are gentle curves - why not try doing them with a walking foot to see if it goes better? If not, I think what you've done looks just great.
    With the walking foot I'd have to keep turning the quilt; it would take forever. This is so much faster. I'm also trying to improve my FMQ skills with this quilt. Still working hard at it. :-)

Power Poster
    Carol if possible, try a ruler foot and rulers. Not only can you FMQ in all directions but I find following a ruler easier. My stitches look better, with the Bernina adjustable foot height I can go from regular sewing to FMQ with no tension issues. Laying the ruler over the quilt also helps to keep everything flat. I didn’t think I would use them much but now I use them all the time.