Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Writing on a quilt

Writing on a quilt

I am wondering if the regular Sharpie markers are OK to write on a quilt with. I have a friend that says she never uses a quilt label and just signs the quilt with a Sharpie. She says they haven't washed off so far as she knows. I did buy some fabric pens made by uchida Marvy. Has anyone used them. I really don't want them to wash off.
    Thanks!
    oneteapot/Laurel

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I would test it on a similar fabric. Then wash it under the faucet with Dawn after it's dried. You want to make sure if anything that it doesn't bleed.

Blog Entries
    I used a sharpie on a flannel quilt to outline cat faces and when I washed it the lines blurred. I didn't give the quilt as a gift because of it. I recommend only using markers specifically made for fabric
    Helen T.

I have used Sharpie Laundry Markers with no problem on cotton. But I would always test on a scrap first and wash.

I used a fine point permanent marker to sign one of my quilts. I'll double check tomorrow but to the best of my knowledge there have been no issues. Sorry that I don't recall the brand pen specifically but I did purchase at one of the big box stores.

I just want to repeat what some of the others have said ..... test the sharpie on a piece of the fabric before using it for a label. When I sign a quilt back I'll use a pigma pen.

I used a Micron pen to write a quilt label for a quilt. Done in 2009 & it has been cleaned a couple of times. The label is now so faded I think I should redo it. It's a Delectable Mtns that I did for a client. If it gets passed to 1 of the kids I'd really like the info on it.

Blog Entries
    Sharpies tend to ( bleed/ fuzz) around the edges, you do not get clear, crisp lines. Also, they can saturate all the way through the quilt. I do know many people who use them. Permanent micron pigma pens are acid free, do not bleed, are fine tipped and used by many artists in all sorts of applications, mediums.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    if i don't make an embroidered label, i use a fine pigma pen to sign and date the quilt.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Sharpies WILL wash out, eventually. My kids all danced ballet for over a decade and it was the tradition to have all the cast and guest stars sign the official Tshirts/sweatshirts for each ballet... They always passed around a sharpie to do this. With each washing, those autographs faded until finally they were all gone-- washed away. Very sad!

Always use a fabric pen that says it's permanent and for fabric, and then heat set it with your iron.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries
    No idea what what used as I am going back probably 70 years on this. My grandma made a lot of crochet doilies and my aunt worked at a state hospital for mental people at the time. She would take the doilies to be washed at the hospital. Most of the items had linen centers and the laundry would write the floor number on the linen so they knew where to return them. Those things have been washed hundreds of times and I've bleached the heck out of them trying to remove the printing, and it just won't fade out at all. If we only knew!!LOL

I only use the Pigma Micron pens when writing anything on a quilt. They are available online at JAF.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Thanks for all the hints. I will try all suggestions and see what happens.
    oneteapot/Laurel

I wont use Sharpies as I have had labels fade after only a few washes...even after heat setting. I use a black fabric marker. I find them in Michaels or JoAnns in the area with markers for decorating tshirts. Last time I got them, the staff member who was helping me didn't know what I wanted. I had to show them when i found it. The last one I got was Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  126.1 KBThis Tulip fabric marker I purchased at Hobby Lobby on vacation. I agree with the suggestion of trying them out on test fabric. This one was good if you were writing smoothly. It kind of spread a bit if you stopped and left the point in one place. It worked fine for what I needed. Sorry about the second picture. It does not show up on preview and I thought I deleted it)
    Attached Images Attached Images