Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ya know, I just found out..

I did the glue on the bottom and love it now I am not sliding when I cut. Love it. Just finished putting all of my fabric on comic boards and it looks so good and I can see everything I have at a glace.(no more sorting through piles) I saw the hint to Pinterest and I have never been so organized. Love it, love it, love it!!!!! I never thought I would go through 125 boards but I did. Have a great day everyone.

Another quick "gripper" solution is to use clear nail polish sprinkled with salt (on the bottom of the ruler). I usually let it set overnight but found it works great!

Quote Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
    I'm just old. Maybe the 3 pregnancies wiped out part of my brain?
    It wasn't the pregnancy part that fried my brain but rather the raising of 3 boys and 1 girl. Then you kick in the menopause fog and it is a disaster in the making. Amusing sometimes but mostly just irritating. Ann in TN

Just wondering ------ how long did it take you to figure it out???????????????? ROL!
    Dee

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." by George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
    that using hot glue dots on your ruler really works well as non-slip devices....IF YOU PUT THEM ON THE BOTTOM OF THE RULER AND NOT THE TOP!!
    don't laugh to hard I just found on of rulers with the sand paper dots on the top????????
    Freedom is costly and quilting keeps us busy...

Blog Entries
    I never heard of that trick before. I will try it. Glad you discovered which way to use the glue. LOL LOL LOL

At least you can peel off the hot glue dots on the wrong side of the ruler. I was infamous for sewing my sleeves inside out when I first started to sew. Rip, rip, rip! I now triple check before I sew sleeves. Now I can mess up on other things!

Blog Entries
    that using hot glue dots on your ruler really works well as non-slip devices....IF YOU PUT THEM ON THE BOTTOM OF THE RULER AND NOT THE TOP!!
    And another thing about hot glue dots….

…to stop rulers sliding – They also help to get a smooth cut over seams.
    I like to use a 3 x 9” ruler to trim pieces but found that the ruler would “spin” or move too easily if it had to go over a thick seam. I tried to push down on the ends so that the ruler would curve. The ends would touch the surface but after cutting 20-25 times my hand was aching and the cut was wavy!

Discovered by accident that the glue dots on the end corners of the ruler allowed it to stay level over the seam and not slip. Now I put them on all my small rulers.
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Quote Originally Posted by sahm4605 View Post
    just remember not to touch the glue till it is good an dry. had a cat that was interested in a hot glue gun and learned that hot glue is an aowwieeeee. she burned the bottom of her paw and two wiskers melted. (I felt sooooo bad for her)
    LOL My youngest son, now almost 24 was like that as a toddler. Don't touch the crock pot, honey, because it gets very, very hot. Yep, he reached up to make sure I was telling the truth! While helping me make brownies, I had him on the other side of the counter away from the stove. Don't touch the burner, it will burn you because it's very, very hot. Yep, had to try that out, too. It only took two times for him to figure out that Mommy was telling the truth! His curiosity and tenacity have taken him far, but not without some owies!

Thanks for the tip. I've tried Invisigrip, the little silicone dots, sand paper dots, all to slipping , sliding and frustration. This is certainly worth a try.

I had to laugh at that. Reminded me of the time I was sure the store didn't bag my shampoo. I found it on the cash reg. receipt, so knew I'd paid for it. Well, guess what, I found it a few days later in the refrigerator. Good thing the kids didn't hear about this!

Quote Originally Posted by ncredbird View Post
    It wasn't the pregnancy part that fried my brain but rather the raising of 3 boys and 1 girl. Then you kick in the menopause fog and it is a disaster in the making. Amusing sometimes but mostly just irritating. Ann in TN

Thank God, I usually have the ability to laugh at myself. I opened the cream cheese and it smelled okay-------but the dog got it,
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

LOL -- Glad I am not alone. I bought some rotary blades and tore the sewing room apart trying to find them. I found them after buying more -- in the freezer.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Blog Entries
    I swear I'm going to make an "O Crap!" document folder but I'm afraid my multi-gigabyte computer doesn't have space!!

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
    LOL -- Glad I am not alone. I bought some rotary blades and tore the sewing room apart trying to find them. I found them after buying more -- in the freezer.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Well, I just think this is a "Sticky" Situation!! Ha! All good tips ladies!
    Thank You Lord for answering my prayers, in this I am truely blessed!

Kitsie, you and Grannie are a hoot!!! Thanks for the chuckle and tip!

What a good tip to know........hehe
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

Blog Entries
    I've been there multiple times! An oft repeated phrase in my voice: "Well, I guess it (the iron, the sewing machine, the mixer, etc.) would work a lot better if I plugged it in!" after I've spent five minutes trying to figure out why the darned thing won't work.

Should we be spending some time researching a home that can keep an eye on us-----------but still let us run amuck on our own?
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Blog Entries
    I think there is a new device or phone app thing that somehow you can put a little something on your glasses, your car keys or (for me) my teeth. Then you activate the thing and it will tell you where they are! Could be really helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
    Should we be spending some time researching a home that can keep an eye on us-----------but still let us run amuck on our own?

Kitsie

I used hot glue several weeks ago after hand surgery to keep from placing so much pressure on the ruler - awesome, perfect cuts every time and of course I read it here!!!! You guys are awesome>>>>..
    Quilting makes me happy!..

You must be my twin and we were separated at birth.
    Mazda

Great idea if on the right part of the ruler. Thanks for the info. Sandy 64

I never used the hot glue dots, but I do use adhesive backed sandpaper. Works very well to keep rulers from slipping.

Now, for my "duh" moment...I wear glasses and have prescription sunglasses. For the life of me, I couldn't find them and figured I'd lost them at a store or somewhere between shopping and home. I couldn't afford to replace them and started saving for a new pair. About 3 weeks later, I went into my vegetable cold storage for a bag of potatoes. Lo and behold, I'd put my glasses in a brown paper bag that was filled with potatoes. How? When? This is another one of those "great mysteries" of the world.....LOL
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

I am always moving my stuff around, I remember where it use to be, can't for the life of me remember where I moved it to. Just found my button box a few weeks ago, need some buttons now and can't find it.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast