Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
yard sale fabric >

yard sale fabric

yard sale fabric

Old 05-18-2015, 06:33 AM
Power Poster

My girlfriend just got a whole sewing room from the son of a woman who passed away for 150 dollars...There was over two hundred yards of fabric plus seven boxes of precuts..she was in the right place at the right time. She also got seven unfinished quilts and two quilts that were in the process of being quilted...
Old 05-18-2015, 06:46 AM
Power Poster

I just look at the thrift stores and GW and Sa as fabric on hangers. I see what I can get on Saturdays because everything is usually 50% off ticket price. I have a tape measure in my purse and that tells me how much fabric is on that little girl's dress or boy's shirt and I look at the button strips and the zippers with often really cute toggles. These are great for making your own laundry bags or covers for those foam pillows (not pillow cases)!
Old 05-18-2015, 07:35 AM
Power Poster

I look at getting a bonanza of fabric at a yard/garage sale like getting a big payout playing the slot machines.

I usually have a lot more misses than hits when I look.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:38 AM

The end of May I had a garage sale for fabric and craft items only. I did list it on Craigslist and on Facebook (our quilt guild and a local quilting Facebook pages). The Friday of my sale I did almost $1K in sales and on Saturday about $250 in sales. I did have a lot of quilters fabric since I am moving and cannot take all my stash with me. I did have a lot of customers come and left with just looking around. I decided to do the sale again at a friends house in June, then what is left will go to charity quilting groups. I have to say, if I was not moving, I would keep all that I sold, even if it never got used. At lease plenty of people did get some really good fabric at $4 a yard. (And some did not want to pay that, you know they do not know what good fabric cost.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by JenniePenny View Post
Quilting is not dying. It is a $3B a year industry.
If there is a shortage of quilting fabrics at yard sales, I interpret that to mean that quilters are using their stashes right now, and they don't want to sell several hundred dollars' worth of fabric for $20. My opinion only.
I agree. It is one of the fastest growing industries today.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:07 PM

I have a place where every spring and fall they have a bag sale. was as low as $2 for a bag this spring. Get shirts and blouses many are very nice. also pick up 'scrubs' when they are $2. Just went to a sale where fabric was $4 a yard. Another one coming up where will be $4 a yard. runs for 3 days. the 3rd day will be $2 a yard. may have to go to that also. tonight when attending quilt guild was offered a singer model 237 for free. will get it this week.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:55 AM

I don't go looking for fabric but if I run on to it and it is nice I will buy it. Our thrift shops are so expensive for used clothing it is cheaper to buy fabric on sale at LQS than buy used clothing at the thrifts.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by sewbeadit View Post
I don't go looking for fabric but if I run on to it and it is nice I will buy it. Our thrift shops are so expensive for used clothing it is cheaper to buy fabric on sale at LQS than buy used clothing at the thrifts.
I have to agree with you there, a lot of times you can buy brand new cheaper at a Walmart clearance rack.

I was in a large thrift store last weekend, all the clothes were too pricey for me. I went to look at housewares, even individual forks, knives, and spoons were marked $1. each!!!! I did wind up getting some fabric panels and yarn however. When I was paying for them, I asked them, do you ever have a sale or a bag sale? The lady said no, the manager thought it would be too messy. The other employee agreed they had WAY too many clothes and should have one.

Most places have a colored ticket system so when you go in, pink tickets are half price or green tickets are 25 cents. Makes a lot more sense.