Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Yard Sale Machine-Mistake? >

Yard Sale Machine-Mistake?

Yard Sale Machine-Mistake?

Old 07-13-2013, 06:40 AM

Be happy it was only 20.00 and consider it a lesson learned. That machine was made during the very worst phase of Singer. I believe the Singer machines built today are better than that machine.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:52 AM

I would ask my sewing machine repairman if he could give me an estimate before any work is done. I've heard about this machine but never used it personally. Seems like it would be worth a little inquiry as mentioned above before you give up. A lot of people buy a new machine and then never use it or learn how to use it or neglect it. It could be something really simple like a good servicing. Hope so.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:14 AM

Good morning JD: PM me, I think I can help you decide if you want to keep and use the machine, or stick it in your next yard sale. I have several models of this machine, they sew beautifully, but are very persnickety (and once you, as the owner learn all it's personal quirks, use it to create great stuff, and don't let ANYONE ELSE touch it).....
Old 07-13-2013, 08:45 AM

Default Good repair man.

Originally Posted by jdeery View Post
Well, I am tired of traveling with my old warhorse of a machine that weighs a ton
and only sews straight...but purrs like a kitten.. Nikki.
So, at a yard sale I bought for $20. a Singer Futura 925, well, no attachments,
and I thought that's okay...then I tried to sew, I can't wind the bobbin in the
machine and I can't pick up the thread from the bottom. The release lever, pops
back off every time I try and wind the bobbin..Did I make a mistake, is this
going to cost me a fortune to fix? Any suggestions?
I wish you were close by (Jacksonville, TX) I use a wonderful gentleman who retired from working on sewing machines for factories. He has done all sorts of repair and servicing for only $20. Got my long time storage FW up and running for $20.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:47 AM

rather than paying to repair it I would check out walmart
Old 07-13-2013, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by vondae View Post
If you don't get any help from Google you could take it to a repair place & get estimate for a check-up & repairs. Most reliable repair places will happily do this for you. If it's not worth fixing then thankfully you are only out $20. 00.
To me it sounds like someone was pretty harsh with it. Did it come with the user manual that might give you some insight to where to start. Good luck!!
No manual, no accessories, and I did google and it said what to do, but it still doesn't. My husband isn't interested
in looking at it. "Why did you buy this piece of @#$%. It is in good shape, it probably is something simple, but
I will try and figure it out again. I think it is from the 70-80's. It just won't pick up the bobbin thread...grrr.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:00 AM

yes, it does have those lines. I did print out the manual from on-line, I just want my hubby to look at it. I do have a cousin that may be able to help, but he isn't available right now. It is also a slant needle, it was stupid to buy. But
I asked the lady if she had the accessories, and she said she would look for them and give me a call. Ya, two weeks
later no call, I did tell her that the bobbin does not wind or pick up the thread...no comment, then she tried to sell
me an embroidery attachment. Like " no thank you" that should have been with it. oh well lessons learned.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:06 AM

You all have been so helpful, will let you know if I get it running, or if it goes into the trash.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:54 AM

Please, not the trash!!!!!!! You can do it, you can do it, you can do it. Your baby is adorable.......
Old 07-13-2013, 11:47 AM

I wouldn't pretend to give any advice on fixing a machine, but I just went through a similar situation myself. I bought an older Kenmore for twenty dollars. It was horribly noisey and the tension was crappy. I wasn't willing to put any money into it so I searched and searched for solutions, oiling and cleaning, etc.

Finally, I knew it would go through thicker material when fixed, so I took it to our local sew/vac store and had it repaired for about the cost you mentioned.

The difference is night and day. It is so quiet and purrs like a kitten. No more clanging, and they put a new tension assembly on it. I am very happy with the service and kind of wish I would have had it done sooner.

Originally Posted by jdeery View Post
Well, I am tired of traveling with my old warhorse of a machine that weighs a ton
and only sews straight...but purrs like a kitten.. Nikki.
So, at a yard sale I bought for $20. a Singer Futura 925, well, no attachments,
and I thought that's okay...then I tried to sew, I can't wind the bobbin in the
machine and I can't pick up the thread from the bottom. The release lever, pops
back off every time I try and wind the bobbin..Did I make a mistake, is this
going to cost me a fortune to fix? Any suggestions?