Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Yardage vs precuts vs FQ? >

Yardage vs precuts vs FQ?

Yardage vs precuts vs FQ?

Old 12-04-2014, 12:18 PM

When I started to quilt (Late to the party) I was intrigued by FQ, and bought bundles from ebay and other retailers. I bought them to such a degree that I cannot really justify buying any more til I have made serious inroads in my "stuff". Luckily they are really good for applique which I have come to really enjoy doing.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:20 PM
Power Poster

I don't buy pre-cuts on line. I don't buy many pre cuts at all. mostly yardage Just depends on the situation.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:46 PM

I have tons of FQs all prewashed and stored by colour or theme. Many are from Connecting Threads where the precuts are the same price as the yardage. The lion's share were purchased at sale prices.

I buy jelly rolls to make 1600 quilts which are my go-to quick quilt.

Yardage? Oh dear ...... there's plenty of yardage in my stash, mostly from sales. Or bought for class quilts. Or "just because".

And batiks! I LOVE LOVE LOVE batiks.

Every quilt I've ever made has at least one batik: my "signature"!
Old 12-04-2014, 02:27 PM

I always buy nothing less than a metre - which is 3" more than a yard. I find that living in the Land of Oz that most patterns are used based on inches so my mind is constantly switching from yard to metre when deciding on how much to buy.

I like to always have that little bit more just in case but then again I suppose that is why my scrap basket keeps increasing.

I have used the odd pre-cut from time to time but do not think that it justifies the extra expense. That is just my opinion anyway.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:35 PM
Power Poster

I like FQ and some yardage to go with it for sashing, borders, binding and backing. I think much smaller then a FQ is a scrap and I already have too much of that.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:25 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Having "come up" in the strip piecing era of quilting 30+ years ago, I still strip piece virtually all blocks/patterns/quilts I make. This could also be called 'string piecing', not to be confused with scrappy string quilts.

Shorter strips that 40-44" don't do me much good when I'm making such block sections, so I rarely purchase fat quarters or other pre-cuts.

This as yet unfinished quilt below is one exception. I bought these fabrics as a fat-eighths collection a decade ago because I fell in love with the soft prints. To make this quilt I used every scrap of the fabric in the pack and had to find 'go withs' for the borders. Because I also now have an extensive collection of stash, I design all my own patterns and use mostly just stash to create.

Jan in VA
Attached Thumbnails cottage-quilt.jpg  
Old 12-04-2014, 03:45 PM

I love charms! I have a terrible time matching fabrics so I love the variety of the charm packs. If I really fall in love with some of the pieces in a "line" I will buy additional 1/4 or 1/2 yard each of my favorite. But I only buy fabric - whether yardage or precuts - when it's on sale.

Oh - with rag quilts I love using layer cakes - I really can finish a Rag Quilt in a day with layer cake precuts!
Old 12-04-2014, 04:10 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by icul8rg8r View Post
Oh - with rag quilts I love using layer cakes - I really can finish a Rag Quilt in a day with layer cake precuts!
I have Go rag die and the layer cakes are great for it. The extra inch left on the sides are perfect for string piecing. No more cutting required.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:11 PM

I buy fat quarters, 1/2 yard and 1 yard bundles of fabric, and I chose Bella snow as my main go to for light solids on my work, and black from Bella for my darks. I find if I keep solids to the same basic colors from the same manufacturer my life will be easier.
I do have a huge selection of charm packs and jelly rolls too, but I have been very disappointed in the lack of consistency in the sizes, as such I no longer buy them.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:22 PM

Love big fat quarter bundles. I buy some yardage for borders & backings to go with them.