Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Yea!!! we get to go to the Houston Show >

Yea!!! we get to go to the Houston Show

Yea!!! we get to go to the Houston Show

Old 10-15-2013, 03:58 AM

When I went several years ago they had bus shuttles to the show every 20 minutes. You could board them to and from the show all day long. No charge. It was nice to have that feature. Seems they hit most hotels in the area so it did not matter which one you stayed at.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:07 AM
Power Poster

It doesn't say anything about a back pack. I think I would invest in one and have 2 of the light weight folded shopping bags inside it. A lanyard with a small zip pouch for around your neck would be a plus with just credit cards, cash and driver's license if needed.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:16 AM

I've just signed up to attend the 2014 Houston show. This will give me a chance to save lots of money to buy whatever catches my eye.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:23 AM

I am putting this on my bucket list as well, sounds like a great time. Hope everyone who is going has a great time. Take pictures and share with us, please!!!
Old 10-15-2013, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
It doesn't say anything about a back pack. I think I would invest in one and have 2 of the light weight folded shopping bags inside it. A lanyard with a small zip pouch for around your neck would be a plus with just credit cards, cash and driver's license if needed.
Some people (not a lot) carry backpacks and they are difficult for everyone around them. They tend to get stuffed with stuff and every time they turn, they whack someone with it which in turn makes for irate shoppers around you. I prefer and large purse/shopping bag and carry my money and cards in a holder around my neck. Also, with a shopping bag, if you want to squeeze thru behind people you can just hold it at your side and slip thru sideways. You have to remember that the aisles are wall-to-wall people at times. Not a lot of personal space. But I agree about taking a lightweight bag inside them for the backage check. I just use the cheap freebies that I've collected from various places.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-03-2016 at 10:47 AM. Reason: language
Old 10-15-2013, 02:13 PM

You will LOVE Festival in Houston! I am in the Houston Modern Quilt Guild and we host a meetup in the hotel bar that is attached to the convention center. It is Saturday evening (november 2), and will include door prizes, and often has industry professionals that stop by to socialize and best of all its FREE. Please stop in and socialize and tell us how you are liking the show!

I definitely agree with the suggestions made above, comfy shoes, snacks and water, it will be crowded, but AMAZING! My added suggestion is to start on one end and work your way down so as not to miss anything!
Old 10-15-2013, 02:19 PM

I agree with cashs_mom, many of the booths are not set up to carry a backpack through, I also prefer to have my bag on my side where it would be harder for someone to open a zipper and steal something...
Old 10-16-2013, 08:51 AM

Is this show open to the general public? I thought only vendors and shop owners could attend?
Old 10-16-2013, 10:24 AM

The first part of the show is Quilt Market which is for vendors and manufacturers... The second part is Quilt Festival and it is open to the public. You can get more information at quilts.com/home/shows/viewer.php?page=FallFestival