Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Yea!!! we get to go to the Houston Show >

Yea!!! we get to go to the Houston Show

Yea!!! we get to go to the Houston Show

Old 10-13-2013, 03:48 PM

Default Yea!!! we get to go to the Houston Show

My girlfriend and I live in Fallon, Nv. and we are making the big trip to Houston for the quilt show. We are seniors and this has been on our bucket list for years. We have no idea what to expect. Can we bring pull carts? or do they have places to check your purchases or do you just have to carry them? I am so excited!!!
Old 10-13-2013, 04:06 PM
Power Poster

Hope you have fun! On the first page of the web site it says:"FESTIVAL SHOW RULES

Important note about rolling totes/luggage

Due to safety and security concerns, Festival attendees are not allowed to bring rolling totes, luggage, carries, or suitcases on the show floor. If you have a legitimate medical need for one of these items, bring a doctor's note or medical papers explaining your need to the Information Booth to receive a special pass"

At the shows I've attended, they have a package check for a nominal fee. Normally you can check your items inside the show area, but can pick them up inside or outside. I bought a large item last year, checked it, then came back with my cart later in the day.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:54 AM

When we went to Houston it was so packed you could barely thread your way through the booths. The worst thing I found was people could RENT motorized scooters & I almost got ran over by someone who was just learning how to operate it
Old 10-14-2013, 08:58 AM

where comfortable shoes. I think the floor is just thin carpet over cement.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:06 AM
Banned

and take some snacks with you. the food lines are often very long. The food is available and good but it is good to have some snack when you don't want to wait. And take water. Comfortable shoes. A notebook and pen to write info of places you might want to return to later.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:28 AM
Power Poster

I so envy you. I'm from Houston but they were just building that Convention Center when I left. Enjoy!!!
Old 10-14-2013, 01:05 PM

You're going to have a ball at Quilt Fest! No rolling carts are allowed on the show floor, however, there are package check stations where you can check your packages for $1.00. I just bring along a light weight bag in my shopping bag and when it gets heavy I fill it up and check it.

It does tend to be crowded. I've learned to time things to avoid the crowds. I often look at Quilts in the mornings when lots of people are madly shopping and then shop while everyone else eats lunch. After a late lunch the majority of the crowds are thinning and I go and do more shopping then. Also, I find that Thurs and Fri are the best days for quilt viewing and Sat and Sun are best for shopping, but that's JMO.

I live in Houston and am at Festival every year. See you there! lol

Last edited by cashs_mom; 10-14-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:21 PM

I was going to go this year but my aunt that is back home from Hong Kong changed the date of the family reunion to that weekend swill be in Dallas instead of Houston. Lived in SA Antonio for 2 years now and have not been able to make it. Next year nothing will stop me. Will start saving money now so I will have plenty to spend. Have fun.. Expect to see lots of pictures.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:35 PM

Going to the Houston Show is at the top of my bucket list. Maybe next year I can cross it off the list. Have a safe trip and enjoy.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:36 AM

I can't imagine a more perfect vacation than going there! That is one of my dream trips for a girls weekend. Have a wonderful time!