Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Yellow Brick Road question..... >

Yellow Brick Road question.....

Yellow Brick Road question.....

Old 01-13-2013, 07:21 AM

I thought red & yellow, yuck!! Until I saw this quilt. I love the colors and the way they were put together.

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy View Post
Here's a red and yellow quilt. Not sure if it's 100% YBR but you can get an idea.
http://www.dailybulldog.com/db/images/quilt1.jpg
Old 01-13-2013, 08:59 AM

This is why I have a stash of crayons and graph paper. Maybe cut up small samples of your fabric and play with them?
Old 01-13-2013, 11:11 AM

I, too, like the idea of shades of yellows and reds along with a cream color. I have made two YBR, one a baby quilt, using six fat qrtr prints, and a lap size, using 12 marbled fat qrtrs, 6 were cotton flannel and 6 were 100% cotton; both with minky backing. The latter looked like a neat scrappy, using blues, greens, purple, brown, tan, rust, hot pink (yes, pink) and yellow. I have displayed it in local quilt shows, and many had commented on how well they like it. Did SID on that one. Can't wait to see your final work.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:49 PM

I have never made that pattern but just wanted to say how special I think your whole family is - you and your husband for accepting him and your son for sharing his family with him and looking out for his friend. And that also says a lot about you, that your son was comfortable and confident in his parents to ask you to do this! God bless you all!
Old 01-13-2013, 02:21 PM

The thing is, even tho each FQ is a different fabric in pattern, they can be the same two colors. Those quilts posted show it so well. Even tho all in shades of red and yellow, the differences in fabric designs, shades, size of print, etc. makes all the difference and gives the quilt lots of character and life.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:13 PM

I made this pattern for my mom using her favorite colors pink and green which were the colors she had for her wedding too. I use half green and half pink of different fabrics, and different hues.shades of each, but I don't think you have to use different ones, depending on the size of the quilt you may want to use 2 or 3 repeats of a fabric. The larger the quilt the more number of fqs, and you could just get some yardage and cut from that too. If the couple are still in the same town as you why not have them help in selection of fabric?
Old 01-13-2013, 03:28 PM

Bless you for becoming surrogate parents! He is a fortunate young man.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:12 PM

With a 2 color scheme of red and yellow, use a variety of those two colors. The more you can mix it up, the better. Otherwise, you run the risk of having the same fabric 'touching' in another block. (ooooo - - can't have that happen!) I did a YBR several years ago and used too few fabrics. I was kind of disappointed in the result.

We'll be anxious to see your finished quilt and see what you decided!

Jane
Old 01-13-2013, 04:15 PM

PS - -

concerning your sons' friend, good for you for taking him in. Sometimes - - - parents and children just don't get along, no matter what you do. No finger-pointing, no blame. It's just the way it is sometimes. Who are we to judge???

Jane
Old 01-13-2013, 05:34 PM

I did one just recently in blues and yellows.. each fat quarter had a different print and each had different shades of the colors I used