Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Yellow, grey and white quilt

Yellow, grey and white quilt

I have a future daughter in law that wants a quilt in yellow grey and white colors. Any ideas on patterns?
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    the disappearing nine patch is always so easy and looks so complicated when you are done. It's my go to pattern when I don't know what to choose.

Do you know her decorating style? Those colors suggest simple and modern, but I would ask her to describe her tastes or show you photos of decor pieces she’s drawn to. Example: big prints, small prints? Geometric or solid? Dots or not? Stripes, chevrons, paisley—yay or nay?

My 2 daughters-in-law and daughter all use grey as their neutral, but one house is “coastal “, one is modern urban, and one is vintage themed. I love them all, but those 3 sweet girls are all picky so I would rather have have their input on something as enduring as a quilt.

Zozee is right, I would try to determine her preferences before you complete a quilt that may not be to her taste. As for patterns, do a quick google search "yellow, grey, and white quilts" and see what pops up......amazing number. It is a very popular combination.

As suggested, definitely ask her what type of look she is going for.

I love yellow, grey and white together.

Watson

I don't have a pattern suggestion but I do have a strange suggestion. Check out the Walmart fabric section if you are close to one. They have Waverly fabric in a modern looking colorway of grey, yellow and white. It intrigued me enough to go over and feel it and it feels great. There were about 5 different prints all coordinating, very pretty looking. But I haven't tried them quilting yet.

For a more modern twist, I made a Magician's 9 patch from Slightly Off Quilter's video tutorial. It's easy and great, and I think looks a little easier on the eyes than a DP9. I did some freehand embroidery on my machine for a little extra something (no embroidery unit) in the center of the squares.

Tutorial link: https://youtu.be/KZt_zGn24D8

Name:  Becky's Quilt Magician's 9 Patch.jpg
Views: 1187
Size:  162.9 KB

Blog Entries
    many Modern quilt patterns are done in those colors.

Red Rooster fabrics has a free pattern called taxi in their archives that is spectacular in my opinion. Just google the fabric name and the link will come up to go there and then visit the free patterns section.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

I saw a few more grey and yellow patterns there, although the archives is no longer available from what I could find. Sorry.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

I happen to be wearing a yellow shirt with gray pants today. Want a print of me for her quilt? LOL
    Definitely ask for suggestions, then if you are lucky, you can go to a pattern you've been wanting to make that fits those suggestions. I made one a couple years ago where that worked nicely.
    Retired math teacher --
    I CAN FIGURE IT OUT!

How about going to Pinterest and put in "grey, yellow and white quilts" and you can see many patterns to get ideas from. Good luck on your decision

I don't know how big of a project you are planning on... but I made my nephew a double wedding ring quilt in those colors. Not sure how my nephews feels about the quilt, but his new wife loves it

Name:  JasonLaurenDWRcompleted.JPG
Views: 997
Size:  131.4 KB

I did those colors in a Yellow Brick Road for a sister in law--turned out nicely
    Who needs therapy? I quilt!

Blog Entries
    There are hundreds of patterns that use just 3 colors. Easiest out there are split rail, nine patch or a churn dash. If you can use various shades of the three colors, then log cabins would work. I think the better question is what style does she like? Is she traditional, 'old-fashioned' or more of a modern person? If she is modern, then an illusions quilt using white as the background, grey for the 'shadows' and a variety of yellows for the blocks would be outstanding!

I would suggest you take her shopping for fabrics for her quilt. That way she will be sure to like them, and you will have had a fun opportunity to bond over shopping and perhaps lunch after. Hugs and smiles... I look forward to seeing what you end up with!!
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Perhaps you could spend sometime together on "pinterest" and ask what she likes then maybe narrow her choice to 2 or 3 and then it can be a surprise which one she ends up with.

Name:  02F535F4-F2E0-42A4-BDF7-392B1E830263.jpeg
Views: 278
Size:  140.9 KBThis is a disappearing 9 Patch that I made for a friend. The cream could be changed out for yellow.