Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Yellow in your quilts??? >

Yellow in your quilts???

Yellow in your quilts???

Old 06-04-2011, 05:52 PM

What happy & cheerful yellow quilts! Thanks everyone for sharing. Here are 2 quilts I made with yellow. Applique isn't my thing so look at the yellow - not the applique :-P

Wall Hanging
[ATTACH=CONFIG]206779[/ATTACH]

Raffle Quilt the backing & center Squares were Yellow
[ATTACH=CONFIG]206780[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-206773.jpe   attachment-206774.jpe  
Old 06-04-2011, 05:55 PM

I love the yellow and blue ones. Here's mine
Attached Thumbnails attachment-206778.jpe  
Old 06-04-2011, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by wildyard
Originally Posted by canuckninepatch
Originally Posted by wildyard
C9P, I loveeeee your fall leaves quilt. Did you invent that or is there a name for the pattern? It is soooo pretty.
The pattern is called "Arboretum", and it is published by That Patchwork Place. The quilt is designed by Karla Alexander, and I really didn't like the colour choices she used on the outside of the pattern envelope. On the back there's a website www.martingale-pub.com and phone # 1-800-426-3126. It is fairly tricky, though - be warned. To make all the leaves you have to stack up a whole bunch of colours you want to use for the leaves, and whack them into various wedges. Then you "shuffle the deck" in a very careful way, and sew them all back together again. Then you cut out the leaves and do curved seams to seam the leaves into the background (it's not an applique). It's a lot of fun, but it's a real challenge! C9P
LOL Sooooooo for now maybe it's just eye candy, and later it might just become applique. LOLOL
I didn't mean to discourage you:oops:....I just wanted you to be forewarned :roll:
Old 06-04-2011, 06:13 PM

What beautiful display quilts in this topic! I found more of my baby quilts with yellow in it.

great grandson's baby quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]206796[/ATTACH]

ryan's quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]206797[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-206789.jpe   attachment-206790.jpe   attachment-206791.jpe  
Old 06-04-2011, 06:14 PM

This was such an awesome display of beautiful quilts with yellow in them. Thank you everyone for sharing your beautiful creations. I have bookmarked this topic!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 06-04-2011, 07:17 PM

I just put the last stitch into my husband's Grandma's Maple Leaf yesterday, and she chose yellow as her sashing

In October, we will have been married 30 years, and she died 6 months after our wedding. No one else in the family seemed to be interested in her quilting related stuff, so I took it. Her wip became my wip, and I only started on it a couple of months ago. There is a lesson to be learned here: don't leave wip, you never know how they will be finished!
I'm sure it was not her plan, but not being a hand quilter, I chose the Big Stitch technique to fininsh this. She had all the leaf blocks made, the sashing all cut out, some of the blocks and sashing sewn together. All was hand stitched back then. Not today. I used my machine to stitch it all together, including the print border I chose. She even had a piece of notebook paper with the plan showing how she was going to set them diagonally.
Darn it, we would've had so much to talk about if she had lived

I think her decision to use yellow was perfect
Attached Thumbnails attachment-206818.jpe  
Old 06-04-2011, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Homemother
Hi Everyone,

I enjoyed reading the comments on why don't we see more yellow in quilts. I am requesting you to post your pictures of your quilts with yellow in them so I can see what you mean. I always like to see a little yellow in a quilt but when I try to use it in mine, the fabric feels like a hot potato and I cannot bring myself to cut and use it.

So, please help me love yellow. Show me your quilts!

Thanks! My favorite color is blue. ;)
Here's mine, took me a long time because of Applique leave's, but really loved doing it.. Gave it to Son and his Wife for their Anaver.

Leaf quilt, lots of yellow
[ATTACH=CONFIG]206825[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-206819.jpe  
Old 06-04-2011, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Homemother
Hi Everyone,

I enjoyed reading the comments on why don't we see more yellow in quilts. I am requesting you to post your pictures of your quilts with yellow in them so I can see what you mean. I always like to see a little yellow in a quilt but when I try to use it in mine, the fabric feels like a hot potato and I cannot bring myself to cut and use it.

So, please help me love yellow. Show me your quilts!

Thanks! My favorite color is blue. ;)
Here's mine, took me a long time because of Applique leave's, but really loved doing it.. Gave it to Son and his Wife for their Anaver.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:21 PM

sorry for the double post
Old 06-04-2011, 07:42 PM

I haven't looked through all 12 pages but there are some awesome quilts pictured. I remember reading a couple of years ago about a "rule" for using yellow in quilts.
Since it is a color that really draws the eye, if it is used in only a few blocks or pieces (such as a scrappy quilt) you need to make sure that it is distributed throughout the quilt to draw the eye to the whole quilt. I don't know if I made sense here but hope it helps.