Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Yellow in your quilts??? >

Yellow in your quilts???

Yellow in your quilts???

Old 06-04-2011, 07:57 PM

WOW!!! I'm going to have to make something with yellow. these are all beautiful.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by DebraK
Originally Posted by MTS
When I started quilting I soon became aware that a lot of people have an aversion to yellow. I also recall Alex Anderson saying she wasn't really fond of it.

I can think of worse colors to avoid. ;-)

Here's a LOT of yellow for you. I think this pic is pre-blocking.
I really love this one!
Me, too!!
Old 06-04-2011, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Marion T
Lets hear it for yellow!! I like yellow in a block, so cheerful. So many different shades - from buttery cream to sunshine in your face yellow. Goes well with almost any colour - including purple. I just love purple shades and yellow shades together. I did a quilt with shades of purple and yellow, but don't know how to upload it on a comment. Sorry. But I do love alll the quilts shown on these pages, and also really admire the quilters who were able to upload them!!
I too haven't figured how to upload the pics! but
I made a large rail fence quilt using these four colors! Bright yellow, orange yellow, orange, and an orange and yellow tigerlilly print.
That one shouts!
Old 06-04-2011, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mousie
Originally Posted by pinwheelprincess
I have enjoyed this "Mellow Yellow" quilt show. I use it alot & my quilt teacher also said not to--as the eye is drawn to it, takes away from the rest of the quilt. So what I like it! Remember in quilting you can do anything you want--there really isn't a quilt police.
for shame...she should not use 'rank' to influence.
I love yellow and I shall use yellow and I will stand by yellow,...and eat it, too...cheese is yellow, after all! :XD:
Careful, Careful dear little mousie! LOL! Remember they use it as bait....I would hate to lose you!
I wonder if there is fabric with cheese printed on it?
Have you ever seen any? Jeannie
Old 06-04-2011, 09:27 PM

[quote=I didn't mean to discourage you:oops:....I just wanted you to be forewarned :roll:[/quote]

Well, remember now, I have only been at this quilting seriously for a year and 2 months, so I am just being realistic about what challenges I am ready for. With my physical limitations, I don't handle stress well so I really try not to set myself up for frustrating situations. :D Further down the road, with more experience under my foot pedal, I may be ready to try it. One just never knows, right? Besides my to do list is plenty long as it is. LOL So no worries, I have lots of experience lined up for myself in the months (and years) ahead!!
Old 06-04-2011, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Grambi
I haven't looked through all 12 pages but there are some awesome quilts pictured. I remember reading a couple of years ago about a "rule" for using yellow in quilts.
Since it is a color that really draws the eye, if it is used in only a few blocks or pieces (such as a scrappy quilt) you need to make sure that it is distributed throughout the quilt to draw the eye to the whole quilt. I don't know if I made sense here but hope it helps.
A two color yellow and white bed quilt breakes the rule of only a few pieces... but does follow the rule of even distribution...
The pattern does not matter so much, because seeing one is like having a light turned on!
Old 06-04-2011, 10:18 PM

Here are some of mine...
Attached Thumbnails attachment-206861.jpe   attachment-206862.jpe   attachment-206863.jpe  
Old 06-05-2011, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by jpthequilter
I too haven't figured how to upload the pics! but
I made a large rail fence quilt using these four colors! Bright yellow, orange yellow, orange, and an orange and yellow tigerlilly print.
That one shouts!
Go to New Topic. Scroll down and you'll see “File Attachments” and under it "Browse." Select “Browse” and then select the picture you want to add off of your computer. To the left of “Browse” is a space for you to write a heading for your picture if you would like. Do not select “preview” or your pictures won’t show up in the post, just select send. Hope this helps.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:08 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by Scrap Happy
Originally Posted by jpthequilter
I too haven't figured how to upload the pics!
Go to New Topic.

Scroll down and you'll see “File Attachments” and under it "Browse." Select “Browse” and then select the picture you want to add off of your computer. To the left of “Browse” is a space for you to write a heading for your picture if you would like. Do not select “preview” or your pictures won’t show up in the post, just select send. Hope this helps.
That would get you a NEW topic. ;-)

Just click on REPLY (or QUOTE REPLY). Underneath the reply box you'll see the "File Attachements" section.
You can follow ScrapHappy's instructions (in purple) from there.

If you're used to replying to posts with the Quick Reply space at the bottom of each page, you'll never see the attachement section. ;-)
However, after you hit send, you can use the "Add Attachment" option in your post (available for same time as the "Edit" feature - around 30(?) minutes).
Old 06-05-2011, 04:21 AM

Who said no yellow in quilts! What pretty quilts posted!