Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
yellowed fabric >

yellowed fabric

yellowed fabric

Old 01-08-2010, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by littlehud
You can still use the undamaged pieces. What a shame though.
It's a crying shame. I'd have to cut it up quite a bit to get the usable pieces so am not sure what I'm going to do just yet.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:05 PM

There may be a brighter side to this fabric failure story.
As I understand it, there are multiple fabrics stored together in the same container in the same place and I'm going to guess for the same time. Only this particular fabric is damaged...changing colors in an uneven manner or all over...how many outside fold lines? I'd be thinkin' how lucky I was to find out that this fabric isn't going to age well...that would certainly disqualify it for some uses in my mind. The unchanged condition of the other fabrics would be telling me that the damaged fabric just might be a poor team player...one that might further disappoint you. I keep hearin' whispers...they sound like warnings.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Bobbinwinder
There may be a brighter side to this fabric failure story.
As I understand it, there are multiple fabrics stored together in the same container in the same place and I'm going to guess for the same time. Only this particular fabric is damaged...changing colors in an uneven manner or all over...how many outside fold lines? I'd be thinkin' how lucky I was to find out that this fabric isn't going to age well...that would certainly disqualify it for some uses in my mind. The unchanged condition of the other fabrics would be telling me that the damaged fabric just might be a poor team player...one that might further disappoint you. I keep hearin' whispers...they sound like warnings.
Hadn't thought of it in that way before your reply. You're right I am lucky to know this before hand before using this in a big project. Unfortunatley, I did use some form a different bolt in an earlier project. Will see what happens when I wash the quilt. Wil hope and pray for the best b/c I used a lot of it. Live and learn. FYI: Got it at JoAnn's about 2 - 3 years ago.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:25 PM

Hey me too I got mine at JoAnns too. But I have lots of fabric from there. I have a piece thatturned yellow on the folds. The fabric is pink. I thought of just cutting awaythe "yellow" too. Bummer it happened to you too. No other fabric of mine is like that. I checked many pieces.
Good luck!!!
Old 01-08-2010, 10:54 PM
Banned

I have tea stained a lot of things successfully.
However, I read that those denture whitener things(kind of like alka seltzer) will brighten fabrics. Thankfully, I have not had a need to try this yet but will when the time comes. good luck! XO Sandra
Old 01-09-2010, 10:31 AM

If you need help tea dying, there are lots of directions on the internet, or you can pm me and I'll do my best. I think soaking a bit of the fabric with a denture cleaner might be a good experiment. Just use a swatch though incase something dreadful happens. Gwyn
Old 01-09-2010, 10:55 AM

Hi Chris-quilts,

I would try 'LaFrance' bluing. They still make it and it always did a good job when my kids were little. Of course follow directions and do not pour it directly on fabric. Put it in the water to desolve first before the cloth is added.
We lived in a house with rusty water and it kept the whites white and the colors bright.
I still use it but the kids are grown.
Quilter68
Old 01-09-2010, 11:03 AM

Wow. All good suggestions. Am still pondering my options so don't have a plan yet for the fabric but thatnks all for the suggestions.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:32 PM

Did you try soaking it with all fabric bleach? I'm not sure if I should say a brand, but Amway all fabric bleach is the best I have ever used. It even got out automatic transmission fluid (bright red) from a white tee. You can use it in your washer. Just adgetate it once in a while to keep it mixed real good.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:19 AM
Administrator

i just stumbled across this product while looking for something else. i've never used it, but thought i'd make you aware in case you wanted to try it.

scroll down to the bottom of this page:
http://sewing-notions-store.com/subc...=Miscellaneous