Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Yo Yo flowers - how to attach by machine

Wink Yo Yo flowers - how to attach by machine

I'm in the home stretch of making TWO Amy Butler bloom quilts for my twin GD. I have arranged and pinned 575 yo yo flowers. Does any one know of a sure fire technique for attaching the yo yos TO THE QUILT by machine. After making almost 600 yo yos the thought of hand sewing them makes me a little woozy. I don't like hand sewing either. I've seen techniques for attaching them to each other by machine, but not TO the quilt after they are made. I welcome ANY suggestions you have. I have a Viking diamond, so lots of stitch options. Thanks in advance. I've learned so much from everyone since I joined.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I found a couple of mentions of using the bar tack stitch on your machine to attach them to a quilt. It looks like a satin stitch done right in the hole.

Blog Entries
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

I've seen all the techniques for bar tacking to each other but this patter has many 6-8 inch yo yos and those would need to be stitched in a circle. That's what I don't want to do by hand. The bar tack will probably be secure enough for the 1.5 - 2 inch. Maybe even the 3 inch. I should have said that. Thanks for your ideas.

Blog Entries
    I would think the heirloom stitch would do the trick.
    Sally Dolin
    Rock Island, IL

If the yo-yo's weren't already made, this would be a great way of attaching them - http://mousechirpy-polkadotpineapple...-yo-yo-by.html

There are also eyelet stitches and single stitchouts on many machines that would work and look cute for yo-yos.

A bar tack or button stitch where you can change the width of the stitch would do for the centers.
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Great idea! I can use the eyelet buttonhole stitch if I can make it huge. Ill need to sew a 4 inch circle on the 8" yo yos. There must be some way. My machine has everything but an eyebrow plucker!!