Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Yo-Yo's >

Yo-Yo's

Yo-Yo's

Old 04-16-2007, 03:12 PM

Over the weekend I saw a pattern for sale in the Keepsake Quilting book where the yo-yo's were stacked and made into a clown- type of character (the yo-yo's made his arms & legs). If you don't want to make them into a quilt or wearable, this was a cute little fellow. Here is a link to him.

http://www.keepsakequilting.com/KQShopping/partsview.asp?action=lookup&partno=6706&subject=&catpos=
Old 04-16-2007, 04:56 PM

I remember making one of those when I was in Girl Scouts (about 100 years ago!). I loved doing the yo yos and wish I knew where my clown is. :cry:
Old 04-03-2008, 05:11 AM

I saw a whole quilt of these,seams like they had backing fabric on it. they sew each one together,then there is holes all through because they leave spaces between the yo yo's. So somehow they attached a back on it. I don't know if they sewed the yo yo's to it or put it on after they are all sewed together. But it was a really pretty quilt. The lady that had it siad the grandmother who made it died,and none of the realtives wanted it. I would have jumped at having it.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:20 PM

I think this is just the cutest quilt...

http://www1.gooseberrypatch.com/gooseberry/products.nsf/v.weball/Red_Yo-Yo_Quilt_-Itemt629?editdocument&lid=is_T629|cartprocess=pimgsrcat

I remember seeing it in a paper catalog I recieved in the mail around Christmas...I thought to myself, "I could make that!!" You could do it in other colors too and I think it would be adorable. I love the way this one looks like little peppermints. It's on my to do list...lol**
Old 04-03-2008, 03:34 PM

Ladies
Have you seen the new templates for the heart yo-yo's, or the yo-yo template to make a 5 leaf yo-yo flower? They are so cute and easy. I just wish they made them a little bigger. I've used several of both on my spring quilt, I'm working on.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Rebecca Chambley
Ladies
Have you seen the new templates for the heart yo-yo's, or the yo-yo template to make a 5 leaf yo-yo flower?
Oh how neat, where do you find those? Sounds adorable! :)
Old 04-03-2008, 04:15 PM

I got both of my templates at JoAnns. They cost 5.00 a piece. I love them, on the flower one, you even can make a puff center, or if you choose you can use a button, pearl, or what ever little dodad you want. On the heart one you have to use a button, or a pearl, or a dodad,
Old 04-03-2008, 04:33 PM

I remember a yo-yo quilt that my grandmother had, I think she and her Home Extension ladies made it. It was stitched together the way Yvonne described and then each yo-yo was tacked in the center to a very light flannelette type fabric, right side showing through the holes, then another layer of the same light flannelette as the backing. The yo-yo's were tacked threw all 3 layers, as in a tied quilt, but the tie ends were on the backing side. It was very durable and usable, and sooo pretty!! She always put it on her bed in the Spring time.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:14 PM

I have made them into little flower pots, use different colors, sew a button in center, or if you can still find them at wal-mart, in with the beads, and or buttons, they are yellow with little faces on them. Hot glue them to wooden skewers, you can paint the sticks if you want, and even add some leaves to them. You can use terra cotta pots, fill them with whatever. And add your flowers. Really cute. Use your imagenation.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:22 PM

My sister-in-law got me started making yo-yo's right before Christmas after I saw a quilt that she had made. She has made quite a few actually including seat cushion and back for a child's chair. I carry mine with me in a little pouch for when I go to appointments, etc. In the short time, I have made about 200. That is just working on them when we are out.

She used a CD as the template for the yo-yo, but I ended up finding a yo-yo maker at Joanne's that I am using. I was told they are discontinuing them. There are about 4 different shapes including the flowers, plus different sizes.

She sews them together with her sewing machine in blocks with a solid border around them and them backs them.

I have seen some pictures of people using buttons over the wholes, but I think that would be rather uncomfortable.