Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are you an Artist or just a Quilter? >

Are you an Artist or just a Quilter?

Are you an Artist or just a Quilter?

Old 04-04-2015, 03:56 AM

Interesting question I thought a lot about it and came up with

Neither?

While my quilts very greatly they could be a pattern I followed to the letter, or something I used the knowledge I have about patterns and fabrics to create my own, to somewhere in the middle of, I like that pattern but I'm going to make theses 5 changes. I am not an artists quilting is a way I express the little artistic ability I have.

I am not a craftsman I do well enough that I don't embarrass myself when gifting something I made and I do better on some parts of the process than others but perfection or even something I would enter in to a show to be judged is never going to happen.

I don't call my self a quilter I enjoy the process (most of it) and I try the patterns, idea's, and projects that intrest me but I don't surround myself in it.

It is something that I do for me and I gift those I care to with the things that I make it is not an identity.
Old 04-04-2015, 04:09 AM

Oh this is a tough one. Since I've only been quilting for a short time, I don't feel like I can call myself a "craftsman" ... my skills may never get to the "perfection" level. Also, I'm probably in the minority here, because I really don't care about doing blocks ... although I have started a Bargello. I like to make simple, modern looking quilts. I guess the "artist" (or the "wanna be artist") in me comes out in patterns I make up and colors I use. My process satisfies my need to be creative, productive, and give back (as most of my quilts I give to a local nursing home).

So, I guess you could say I am a happy quilter ... not trying to win any awards ... but OMG, I do love seeing the work of those who are truly "artists". If I ever became a true artist, I would call myself the "Accidental Artist". LOL IMHO, I think we have a lot of "artists" on this board. They piece/applique/quilt beautifully!
Old 04-04-2015, 04:18 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
Hobby Quilter. I sew for fun, I use fun fabric, i don't take myself that seriously, I try new things, I pick my own fabrics, I don't enter contests to be judged on my work. I don't want to make the exact project as in a store sample. I interpret the pattern in my own way. My "craftsmanship" is good. My points match, my binding skills are much better than a few years ago. I sew to please ME.
sandy
i love your answer, sandygirl, it pretty much describes my style. but when someone admires my work out in the public, i do call myself a quilter... my mother and sister are the artists in the family.
Old 04-04-2015, 04:57 AM

When my husband was trying to talk me into recovering our boat cushions I kept telling him "NO because I am an artist!". So, I guess I am an artist! I love fabric & quilting. I love creating & seeing a project through until completion. I'm proud of what I do & love doing it!
Old 04-04-2015, 05:06 AM

I think I am with Sandygirl on this one. I enjoy the process of taking a pattern and (often) changing it to suit me or the amount of fabric that I have. Figuring out how to achieve what I want using the tools that I have, is a major part of the fun. Designing a top, using blocks--or elements of several blocks--that have been around for decades, stretches my mind.

Am I an Artist? No, I cannot claim that distinction. Nothing that I do is unique. Am I a Craftsman? I think I am. Trying to match points and sew as accurately as I can, improves the overall look of the end product and makes me happier. Am I a Quilter? Darn tootin' I am!!
Old 04-04-2015, 05:10 AM
Power Poster

I don't believe you can put quilter's into just two categories. I have always strive to make quilts to the best of my ability (even after becoming disabled). But sometimes I enjoy taking a pattern and putting my own twist on it. I made some changes to this Warm Wishes quilt pattern. Being limited with the amount of airplane fabric, I came up with this design that hopefully will work. Can't wait until I can start this baby quilt but have to finish up the UFOs that have accumulated these past 4 years.
Attached Thumbnails airplane-warm-wishes.jpg  
Old 04-04-2015, 05:45 AM

I think all quilters are artists even though some may be better than others.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:06 AM

When I first read the title of this post I thought "how judgmental and pretentious". But then realized that this is a thought-provoking topic.

My sister is a professional artist--professor at prestigious university, exhibited and won prizes internationally, etc. When I've been introduced to her colleagues they always ask "what do you do?" When I reply "I am a quilter" they all, without exception, have remarked how wonderful it is to have two artists in the same family. Not one has questioned if I follow a pattern or draw on my life experiences. When they've seen my work they remark on color choices, pattern, design, why I chose a specific color, etc. They treat it as a work of art no matter the simplicity or complexity of the piece. It is art and all quilters are artists.

Thanks for a great topic for discussion.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:14 AM

I'd say both. I'm one of those who if they can't find what they want, will design their own. I do draw my own greeting cards, I can lay out anything geometric in Illustrator, and color it in Photoshop. If I want a particular applique like a flower, I will grab a camera, put pix in Photoshop and deconstruct it.

I just enjoy playing with color. Since household goods do wear out, I can replace most by making my own. I make most of my own shirts.

I know EQ7 can also do this, but I prefer to play trial and error in Illustrator. I will eventually trace the finished project in EQ7. (I simply don't care for EQ7's version of layers. With Illustrator, I can have as many layers as I want)

Last edited by Weezy Rider; 04-04-2015 at 06:16 AM.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:24 AM

I don't know where I fall in this discussion. I have been quilting for about 40 years. My favorite part is the hand quilting. I have done at least three whole cloth quilts, one of them queen size. I make at least 20 Linus quilts most months but most of them are just kid friendly fabrics layered with batting and backed with flannel. I simply machine quilt them so they will hold up to many washings. On my queen size bed is a quilt I put together from block of the month squares I won at my guild. I have a few other quilts I made from blocks I created but piecing is not my thing. I like to purchase preprinted fabric that looks like patchwork and quilt around the printed blocks. Most people can not tell it was not pieced before I quilted it. It also saves my hands as I don't have all of those pesky seams to quilt through.