Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Are you a fussy cutter??

I have done I-spy quilts for kids, and there's no other way. I've also done one miniature quilt that was fussy cut. The fabrics were from a bundle of scraps from a thrift store, and I really couldn't think of any other possible use for them, anyway. I found the foundation pieced frog pattern on the Internet: http://www.winnowing.com/frog.html

I agree that it seems wasteful to fussy cut, but prefer to look upon the value of the fabric not in terms of every square inch, but as being a resource that costs a certain amount for what I want to do. If it seems worth it at the moment, I wouldn't hesitate. The difference between having lopped off parts of images all over a quilt or having exactly the centered, complete item, might be what makes the quilt worth doing or the fabric worth buying in the first place.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rose_P View Post
    I have done I-spy quilts for kids, and there's no other way. I've also done one miniature quilt that was fussy cut. The fabrics were from a bundle of scraps from a thrift store, and I really couldn't think of any other possible use for them, anyway. I found the foundation pieced frog pattern on the Internet: http://www.winnowing.com/frog.html

I agree that it seems wasteful to fussy cut, but prefer to look upon the value of the fabric not in terms of every square inch, but as being a resource that costs a certain amount for what I want to do. If it seems worth it at the moment, I wouldn't hesitate. The difference between having lopped off parts of images all over a quilt or having exactly the centered, complete item, might be what makes the quilt worth doing or the fabric worth buying in the first place.
    The frog quilt is adorable!
    Pat

I often fussy cut borders. Some of the quilts I make look much better with some fussy cutting. To be honest, I enjoy fussy cutting now. I don't consider the excess fabric wasted. I usually find some use for it.

Blog Entries
    We must be cut from the same cloth! I am a frugal fabric kind of gal, with big plans that never happened too! But I have taught some classes with students who made some dynamite things, fussy cutting. If only I could let go.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    Sometimes! It depends on what I am cutting the squares for. If I just have a small amount of the fabric, it about kills me to fussy cut and see all the waste!
    I will buy fabric specific to what I want to fussy cut. It may end up 1/4 yd and it may end up 4". If it is that important it isn't a waste. My Memory Quilt has a lot of fussy cuts, because certain things of my life had to fit into it and if I saw something at a fabric shop that reminded me of a memory, I bought a piece of the fabric. I don't fussy cut anything unless it is for a special certain specific thing! That's how I do it. Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

I like to fussy cut, but I definitely use the scraps! My mom was a teen/young adult during the great depression, raised 7 kids, and taught us to "waste not, want not". Scraps have to be really small for me to throw them away. If I don't think I can use them they go in a craft bin for 3yo DGD to glue to the things she makes.
    Shirley in Arizona

You can always make scrappy quilts from what's left over from the fussy cutting. There is a place for both.

Not me! Never appealed to me somehow!

Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    sometimes! It depends on what i am cutting the squares for. If i just have a small amount of the fabric, it about kills me to fussy cut and see all the waste!
    ditto!!!
    One more material Girl~

I've done fussy cutting a couple of times. The quilts were really nice, but I worried about the waste.
    One step at a time, always forward.

I have done it a few times. If you need it, you have to. Can always use the scraps for something else.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

My very first quilt which is shown on my avatar had fussy cut center blocks. I used fabric I had left over from a bedspread I made for my boat. It had sailing ships, light houses, stars and a blue background like water. The other fabrics I chose were all related somehow. One looked like seaweed in the ocean, another like sand, another like ocean water, and a final with little red anchors. The backing had blue and red ships wheels all over it.
    When a dying man asked his pastor "How long does it take to die?" his pastor's heartfelt reply was "A lifetime." Live life to the fullest, but stop now and then to enjoy the sunset.
    Lynda

It depends on the quilt, or the fabric. I was doing a BOM and there were phoenixes in the fabric pattern. If I had just cut them, the birds would have been lost. It made the block more interesting.

I've just never done it, because it looks to me like cheater fabric. If I want some specific for the center of a block, I usually machine embroider it. I think it looks more finished that way.

I don't like the feeling of wasting either, but have done some fussy cutting.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

Jenny Beyer is one of many selling patterns for fussy cut blocks. She uses border patterns to make blocks that look simply intricate beyond words but are only fussy cut and straight stitched. Border printed fabric almost demands to be fussy cut in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose_P View Post

adorable..you have a gift for designing..

Quote Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
    Jenny Beyer is one of many selling patterns for fussy cut blocks. She uses border patterns to make blocks that look simply intricate beyond words but are only fussy cut and straight stitched. Border printed fabric almost demands to be fussy cut in my experience.
    Jinny Beyer makes some beautiful quilts.

I used an old sheet that had large flowers on it and fussy cut the flowers, then bordered them, and put them "on point. I alternated the fussy cut blocks with embroidered (done on an embroidery machine) ones. It came out really pretty.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2