Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are you a Guild Member???? >

Are you a Guild Member????

Are you a Guild Member????

Old 10-18-2009, 11:13 PM

We are just starting a small guild ourselves. "Sew Bee It"
We have only 12 members so far a few live in other States. We have a lot planned over the few months, I'm very excited to "bee" a part of this.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:52 AM

I belong to the Whitley County Country Quilters in Columbia City, IN. I have been a member since their first year of meeting which was 10 years ago.

There's kind of a funny story about my joining. My husband saw the ad in the paper about the group which was scheduled to meet that day coincidentally. He called the president who was listed in the ad. At the time we had a carry-in meal for each meeting. I came home from work that evening and he met me at the door. He said, "There's a quilt club meeting tonight and they're meeting at such-and-so address. Here's your hot dish to take. I'll take care of the baby. Go have fun!" So I went to the meeting and loved it and have been going ever since. The funniest part is that everyone loved his casserole and asked what was in it, and I couldn't tell them because I didn't even know! He kind of makes things up as he goes anyway, so he probably didn't know either! :D

Our group has grown to around 50 members. We have all levels of quilters. It has been fun seeing people come into the group and start quilting and blossom into really accomplished quilters. I love the sharing that goes on. Everyone brings something unique.

OUr group meets on the last Tues night of each month. We have a couple of retreats a year, go on shop hops together, have UFO days. I really enjoy all the women in the group.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:01 AM

Eddie, I think it is awful that they don't let you join because you are a man! They're just mean and they don't deserve your company. Maybe you should start your own group! :( :-)
Old 10-19-2009, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by wvdek
To my knowledge we have none around here. There is a Fiber Network, but not quite the same thing. Have tried talking my friend and quilt teacher into starting one, but she is not teh group type of person. She likes working one-on-one or by herself. So...
what part of WV did you live? there's 2 in Beckley,morgantown,3 in S. Charlstown, Bridgeport,Fayetteville . I would be nice if you could join one.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:08 PM

I belong to Friendship Quilters of Western CO and we have about 90 members. We have a meeting and program on the 3rd Thursday of the month at 9:00 am. We also are one of three guilds in our town, Montrose CO who put on the biggest quilt show in Western CO . And, guess, what??? we don't have a quilt store or fabric store. We drive 65 miles to Grand Junction to buy fabric . In 2008 we had MaryAnn Fons come to our show and this year I'm not sure who. We are the 2nd weekend in July , beautiful time to come to Western Colorado, we have about 200 quilts, and demos going on all day. We have a web site www.blackcanyonquiltshow.com that you can keep track of us. Our Friendsip newsletter is on that web site along with the other two guilds that help put this show together. I'm in charge of Publicity this year so quilters get the word around.. com to western co to see our show.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:05 AM

Unfortunately, my area guild meets during the day too and I work 60 miles west from my home. In fact, when our Walmart 'remodels' I won't even have anywhere to see people who 'craft' unless I travel!
Old 10-20-2009, 07:19 AM

Okay, I'm going to share a lot more then I ever have before with this question.
As a matter of fact I do belong to the Coconino Quilter's Guild. It's an amazing organization of quilters, seamstresses and fabric enthusiatists. To be honest, I shyed away from these things in the past because I pictured a group of busy-body people, gossiping about this and that, drinking coffee. This is part of my memories of the sewing circles my father was a part of. Yes, he was the quilter in our family. Good memories but not my cup of "tea".
I attended a meeting about 4 years ago on the insistance of a good crafting friend. That evening I found that this guild not only has hand stitching classes during the year but they also offered retreats, workshops, trunkshows, Saturday & evening classes, supported a local week long quilt camp retreat, and brought in international/national/local instructors for a very small yearly membership fee. Though they don't have a website they interact with the good size membership of about 100 via e-mail through newsletters, bulletins and important messages. The members come from neighboring states and numerous local communities, meet once a month in the evening at a local church where they share upcoming events, show n tell and a planned activity such as an ornament making evening, learning what judge's a looking for in competition, trunkshows, singing quilt teachers, and so many other things.
Along with all these activities we are also very much involved in our communities and the various needs. We are fortunate to have a Guild Stash which is donated fabrics from our members that didn't want the fabric any longer or a person that passed on that wanted us to put it to good use. And that we do by putting together in kits these fabrics for the guild members to work on. This year alone we had over 80 quilts, 90 pillowcases, 30 walker pouches and 15 back packs made from the kits that were in turn donated to local senior centers, a rescue center for homeless women & children and to our local emergency pediatric ward. Then with all the scraps our quilters collect from their projects we stuff old pillowcases, close them up and donate them to a rescue center for animals. We also received a donation of old sewing machines that needed some refurbishing that our local service center was kind enough to help us with. We then found a local women center that are working on establishing a "cottage industry" environment with these machines to help these ladies in learning a trade.
Next year we will have an auction to clear out many of the donated items that are not necessarily fabric to help finance many of our endeavors. We will also be displaying many of the quilts we work on at our local library for neighbors and visitors to enjoy. And this is really exciting, we are going to have a "Runway" show, where we get to strut our stuff. Many of us just love to sew and it's not always quilts. Fun time to laugh, admire and just be together to share with each other what makes our hearts sing.
Oh and by the way I'm the current President of the Guild but to be honest you may think I'm in charge but I beg to differ, I am a part of an amazing bunch of women that truly want to make a difference in our little community and have fun in the process. So if any of you are hesitating, step up and give your local guild a try. I was truly amazed and glad I did. And if any of you are in Flagstaff on the 4th Thursday of the Month, look for us, we advertise in the local fabric stores, newspaper and through other venues. Hope to see you.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:35 AM

are byou close to Pekn, ill, Zi drive there to a guild, becaue my corn field is inclosed by a lot of trees(state park)on 2 sides
Old 10-20-2009, 07:35 AM

Harmony just hang in there. I finally retired in December 08 after working for 53 years. I immediately joined a local guild, located about 15 miles away. We meet once a month and have a fantastic President. The meetings are well informed and our members frequently teach a class on a recent project they had completed. We generally meet from 9:00 am until 3:00 pm and members take turns bringing lunch. We do a raffle quilt once a year and our main charity project is making baby quilts for two area hospitals and a pregnancy counseling center. I have finally been able to enjoy my quilting, learning new tips and the social interaction between about 35 great ladies.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:38 AM

I belong to a guild in Florida. When I moved here it was one of the first things I did. 8) Never had time when I was working. I have made great friends and have improved my quilting. Should have found the time to join before.

Every group has its issues, but take what you need from the group and leave the rest. Volunteer to do some of the work, you will gain more than you give. It takes every member to make a good guild.