Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: You guys fixed it!!!

I could NOT figure out why I was getting such crummy results as far as my block size!!! Thought it was mt seam, bought a 1/4" foot with a guidr, thought it was my cutting, bought a slotted ruler, thought it was my pressing, bought a new ironing board. But what seems to have fixed it ( thus far, knock on wood) is the $.99 can of starch!!!! I am simply amazed at what a difference that makes!!!

Blog Entries
    yep that starch will save alot of headaches. Pressing not ironing will distort fabric too.

Blog Entries
    I didn't know until recentlty that there is a difference between pressing and ironing. I thought they were the same thing and a lady came to visit us at my sewing group and saw that I was "ironing" and she told me thats not what I was supposed to do that I should be "pressing" and she showed me the difference..and IT DOES MAKE a difference. Sometimes I still find my self ironing, but not very often anymore.

think I will try this. i always just spray a little water.

Blog Entries
    and the difference would be.....:?

Quote Originally Posted by Airwick156
    I didn't know until recentlty that there is a difference between pressing and ironing. I thought they were the same thing and a lady came to visit us at my sewing group and saw that I was "ironing" and she told me thats not what I was supposed to do that I should be "pressing" and she showed me the difference..and IT DOES MAKE a difference. Sometimes I still find my self ironing, but not very often anymore.

What's the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by bloomin'Iris

In ironing, you put the iron down on the fabric and slide it back and forth.

In pressing, you lower the iron onto the fabric and hold it in position without moving it.

Ironing is faster but risks distorting the grain, particularly with smaller pieces. Pressing is slower but will not distort the grain unless you put the fabric down in a distorted position.

Blog Entries
    I didnt know either!! Thanks

Blog Entries
    love this site for that very reason.

I didn't know this. Thanks for the lesson!

WOW, you learn something new everyday...I never knew. :)

I learned that pressing is a stay still kind of thing, but that you CAN move the iron back and forth very gently, (especially for the large pieces) and go with the selvage. In other words,with the selvage at the top, go side to side, if the selvage is on the side, go up and down.

yup a new one for me..... pressing and ironing!

Blog Entries
    I didn't turn my nose up or fall over from sticker shock when I saw the Steady Betty, bought one. It made a big difference in getting accurate piecing. Joann's sells them and you can use a coupon, I've never seen them on sale anywhere.

Blog Entries
    I do the pressing instead of ironing, but I had never thought of the starching. I can see how tis would be a benefit. Any particular brand or type preferred over the others?

Yep it is amazing. See my philosophy below.

It really does make a difference. I use sizing instead of starch.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I didn't turn my nose up or fall over from sticker shock when I saw the Steady Betty, bought one. It made a big difference in getting accurate piecing. Joann's sells them and you can use a coupon, I've never seen them on sale anywhere.
    Oh I'll totally get one!! I was getting ready to make my own because my 'new' ironing board is ticking me off! With a coupon it'd be less thank making my own and a whole lot more simple! lol

Blog Entries
    thank you :-D

Quote Originally Posted by MsEithne
    Quote Originally Posted by bloomin'Iris

In ironing, you put the iron down on the fabric and slide it back and forth.

In pressing, you lower the iron onto the fabric and hold it in position without moving it.

Ironing is faster but risks distorting the grain, particularly with smaller pieces. Pressing is slower but will not distort the grain unless you put the fabric down in a distorted position.