Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
You know it's bad..... >

You know it's bad.....

You know it's bad.....

Old 08-22-2011, 06:50 AM

The solution, for me, are swatch books. I use little inexpensive photo albums. When I buy fabric, I cut a little swatch, staple it to an index card, write down how much I bought, and slide it into a sleeve. There may be several swatches per card, the writing obscured by the swatches. This serves multiple functions. I can compare fabrics for color, pattern and compatibility, with the fabric I'm considering; realize that I already have it; and know exactly what I have when I'm trying to match with something on the shelf; when I'm away from my stash, I can pull out the swatch book and start planning a stash buster from my little books. I wish I had started writing down where I got the fabric so I wouldn't have to go on a wild goose chase looking for more. Sometime there is information on the selvages, other times it's a total mystery.

Because I'm not a purse person, I shop with a back pack. The large compartment holds reusable shopping bags. One front pocket holds the swatch books, scissors, index cards, pen & pencil, mini stapler and staples and current coupons. The other pocket has the keyhole peeper, mirror set, red lens glasses, a bottle of water and a few granola bars.

When on a shop hop, I'll cut the swatches as soon as I get to the car and fix my cards so I don't repurchase something on the same day. Drives my girlfrin's loony as they refer to my OCD. So glad they tolerate me, we do have fun, sometimes at my expense, but fun just the same.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:06 AM

Great Idea...
Old 08-22-2011, 07:19 AM

Went on a shop-hop once, and when home took out my purchases. I looked at my DD and said, "Well, I guess I really liked this particular fabric!" She said, "Why?" I picked up 3 fat quarters to show her they were all the same fabric. Exactly the same fabric! We got a good laugh out of it. I can't tell you if I still have it or not.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:28 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one that ends up with duplicates! Yeah, you know you really like like it if you buy it more than once! .. The only way I know what I have; is to start pulling stuff out for a project... I finally, after 3 years have to go buy muslin.... who knows what else I'll come home with!
Old 08-22-2011, 08:25 AM

I do cheat a little. I have a whole list of "wannadooz" - quilts I want to make. I print the pattern out the "shopping list" - that is, approx how much I need of each fabric. As I collect the fabrics, I staple a swatch to the printout and make a note of how much I have. It's a 5 X 7 three ring binder thingie that fits well in my purse so I have it with me all the time. I also keep my flyers in there so I'm prepared for those impulsive shop stops. It's been a lifesaver as my girls and I collect for our bug/food/candy jar quilts so we remember what we have.

Does it keep me from random purchases? Absolutely not. :)
Old 08-22-2011, 09:35 AM

My biggest problem is running out of a fabric and not finding it again.
Ive got to quit jumping into a project without a pattern for the whole quilt, just block patterns. Gets me in trouble every time.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:49 AM

oh how funny !!!
Old 08-22-2011, 11:12 AM

I frequently buy the same fabric twice or some times 3X's!
Old 08-22-2011, 01:07 PM

Keep a small notebook of fabric samples (about 11/2" by 1 1/2") in your purse when you go fabric shopping. That way, you'll know what you have. You can even write how much yardage you have in the book by the squares. Hope this helps.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:41 PM

lots of good ideas here..........have to remember all this for my next lifetime.