Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: You know the stash might be too large when...

You find pieces, clearly cut to create a particular block, but don't recall every purchasing or seeing the fabric, much less what block pattern you intended to make.

I tried to tidy up the sewing room tonight and ended up with my eyes glazed over. I should never buy fabric or thread again...

Blog Entries
    Hi,

Oh my sounds like you found lots of cool fabric. Look at it this way you will have tons of fabric to work with.

Happy Quilting

Nods. I've recently learned how to go shopping in my closet. So much stuff I don't recall buying - and it tricks me into thinking I got new stuff

:D I may forget my kids names or what I had for dinner but I don't forget my fabric. :D Priorities ya know. :wink: Just kidding about the priorities. I can remember buying which fabric on trips with girfriends back in '97, but do not ask me what I bought the kids or grands for their Bdays last year. No joke!

Gramof6 ... I'm with you! I pretty much KNOW where a particular fabric is too! I have a large home (4 BR, LR, DR, kitchen, 2 baths, family room). There is NO room left untouched by fabric or books. One of the bathrooms is under renovation, so the unusable sink has become a shelf for quilt books! :-) Thankfully, the kids are grown and gone or they'd be sharing their space with my addiction. :-)

We have an extra bathroom in which the tub & shower is never used, sooooo cases of batting are stored in the tub behind the shower curtain. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Crafter
    Gramof6 ... I'm with you! I pretty much KNOW where a particular fabric is too! I have a large home (4 BR, LR, DR, kitchen, 2 baths, family room). There is NO room left untouched by fabric or books. One of the bathrooms is under renovation, so the unusable sink has become a shelf for quilt books! :-) Thankfully, the kids are grown and gone or they'd be sharing their space with my addiction. :-)
    I'm with you! I too have a large house, 4bdrms, 2bth, 2 kitchens, 2 livingrms, 2 dining rms, full bsmt, full attic. The upstairs is my sewing room. When guests come they have to sleep among my fabric and I make no excuses. The upstairs living room is where my quilting frame is set up and it's off limits to everyone but me. The dining room is set up like a living room with fabric as are the two bedrooms. Dressers, closets, they're all full of fabric. Going upstairs is like walking into a fabric store. The downstairs doesn't have fabric since I have to share it with DH and DD. LOL

Yeah, I need to rearrange the fabric shelf so I get that little :thrill: of finding something I already have....

When you consider building on to the house to accomodate it. Until then it's just right.

I had to laugh when I read "you don't remember buying the fabric or for what". That happened to me this week. Real pretty fabric but I don't remember buying it at all. Maybe the quilting fairy left it in my stash

When you find a pretty material you "just can't live without" , only to get home and find you already had 3 yards of it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would say that I know most of my fabric, just never can find it when I need it.

Wow! I'm jealous of those of you with stashes like that! I have one tub with fabric that isn't even full, yet! Most of it is smaller pieces that I've picked up here and there. Enjoy using all that fabric ladies! It's fun to look through what I do have and try to plan!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninnie
    When you find a pretty material you "just can't live without" , only to get home and find you already had 3 yards of it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
    i do that with rulers..i really need to quit buying gadgets that i probably already have!

Quote Originally Posted by watterstide
    i do that with rulers..i really need to quit buying gadgets that i probably already have!
    If you're ever at a garage sale and find one of those old metal "catepillars" that we used to put our record albums in get it. They make great storage racks for all your rulers (except the little ones) and keeps them where you can see what you have.

When you question if it could really ever get TOO large.

When you loose your child in it and can only hear a faint, "Mom?"

When you have to move 10 tubs of fabric to get to the shelf of fabric and see if that one particular piece is where you think it might be.

When you look at pictures on this board and think, "Oh, I have that fabric, and that one, and that one, and that one, and . . . . "

Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    When you look at pictures on this board and think, "Oh, I have that fabric, and that one, and that one, and that one, and . . . . "
    :lol: :lol: SOOO true! This past weekend my guild had a charity quilt-in (for national quilting day). Everyone was working on charity quilts, and I recognized more than one fabric in almost all the quilts. One quilt was from the mauve and blue craze .... yep .... I had those too!

A stash may be too large, when recently I found enough turtle fabric to make 2 full size and a lap size quilt, and still have more.

LOL sounds like me.. my prob is we only have one bed bungalow, dining room is never used as such.. so its dining table for machine, had an alcove free so got son in law to line it with shelves.. then spent fortune on boxes, and baskets to hold my stash, and i have a 3 drawer plastic cabinet on wheels which is stuffed, saw a linen basket the other week in a sale and thought' that will hold my batting'.. so its not just fabric i end up stashing.. its the containers to hold it all!!

After not going into my stash for awhile, I was going "Oh I don't remember this and I really like this! What was I going to make with it?" :lol: Then it took me to my books and it started all over again. Bags of batting, etc. OMG! Still I can't stand to pass up fabric that calls my name, but I just have to have it!! One day I'll get this and this would go perfect!! Is one day going to come!! :lol: :lol:

I never would have thought I'd do this, but......
    I went to store plundering around for fun in the fabric and decided to make a vest......three days later I went to store and decided to drop in the LQS and I bought the exact material.......DUHHHHHH. My mind does not change much, I guess it can't learn new stuff or something. DONT GROW OLD, y'all.

For those with really big stashes and can't remember what quilt you were going to make with that fabric that you just came across, here's a hint.

I take a 6-8" strip of muslin, write on it with a Sharpie the magazine or book name, quilt name, page, etc., wrap it around the fabric and pin it. If the pattern is from a magazine I usually just wrap the magazine right along with it. Every now and then I go through my bundles to make sure I still want to make that quilt. If not, I unbundle the fabric and put it with the rest of my stash. Of course the mere fact that I have to do this just might mean .........nah, I'm sure it's not.

I spoke with my two DS in Michigan this morning and they said, "We're sending you a couple of swatches of fabric that we need some more of. Would you go through your stash and see if you've got it? We need 3 yard of the flowered and 1 of the green." Does that mean that my stash is too big? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by elliemay
    LOL sounds like me.. my prob is we only have one bed bungalow, dining room is never used as such.. so its dining table for machine, had an alcove free so got son in law to line it with shelves.. then spent fortune on boxes, and baskets to hold my stash, and i have a 3 drawer plastic cabinet on wheels which is stuffed, saw a linen basket the other week in a sale and thought' that will hold my batting'.. so its not just fabric i end up stashing.. its the containers to hold it all!!
    Maybe you need to add on to your house.

Oops, been there done that... 3 times, one fabric. so sad. :(

Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    Maybe you need to add on to your house.
    Ummm.... I would need to add on to my property first!

Hmmm.... the garage doesn't have any fabric in it ..... yet ....

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast