Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are you loyal to your quilt shop or do you shop online? >

Are you loyal to your quilt shop or do you shop online?

Are you loyal to your quilt shop or do you shop online?

Old 12-22-2011, 03:43 AM

I buy 98% online and love it
Old 12-22-2011, 05:31 AM

I shop wherever I can get a good price..
Old 12-22-2011, 05:35 AM

I have discovered thrift stores as an excellent fabric resource!
Old 12-22-2011, 05:38 AM

This is the first year I have bought online. Ericas has such great sales I can't pass up. This is LQS quality fabrics.
I can buy 2X the fabric, on sale than what I can buy at my LQS. She only has a sale 2X a year and never any of the quilt store fabric. Its always a different "sale" fabric than what she carries. Almost like she bought it from Wal-Mart.(?)
Old 12-22-2011, 05:39 AM

I try to be loyal to my LQS because I enjoy going there and don't want it to close. However, I have cut back on my spending during the past year because I am getting ready to retire. After I retire, I hope to be able to take a class at the LQS occasionally and will purchase the supplies for the class at the LQS. That being said, I do order online when a fabric I am familiar with goes on clearance, just to build up my stash.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:49 AM

I do most of the fabric purchasing online - our LQS is close by - It is a large quilt store - almost too big - which I can deal with - but my problem with them is that they lack the friendly atmosphere & customer service that I love
Old 12-22-2011, 05:59 AM

My favorite LQS is Threads of Time in Danville, Il. and they DO have new fabric/notions/threads EACH and EVERY week. YES, YES, YES! I do support them. Since no shop can stock every single fabric I also shop a couple of other stores and also do some purchasing online but since ToT has so many fabrics and other things in stock AND because I retreat there for approximately 1 week every month, I prefer to make my purchases there. The quality of what they stock is great, they'll order anything I want, and they're just really nice people with a great staff---even the lady that cleans the retreat area is friendly and goes out of her way to make sure that the retreat center is everything we need it to be.
I just returned home yesterday after several relaxing, productive, fun days of retreating with a group of great ladies and while there, spent a little over $100 that I wouldn't have wanted to spend anywhere else. Ladies, I'm not kidding nor do I get any "extras" or work there, it's just a marvelous place that I wish you all could visit. If you're ever in the East Central Illinois area and have your machine with you.........

Last edited by raptureready; 12-22-2011 at 06:03 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:09 AM

There are several shops near us in the metro area but I happen to be at the point with my UFOs that I need to sit and quilt, not piece. Between my mother's purchase of about 50 yards at an estate and winning about 15 yards on blogs this year, I have little reason to actually purchase fabric. Most of the time when I purchase something online it's either a great deal on backing (b/c I'm not spending full price at the lqs for backings ever again!) or it's a line that my closest lqs just doesn't carry, for example, she no longer carries any Moda. Yes, I do feel a bit bad about not participating in the BOM program but, ya know, I can't keep a shop in business. Although, I did take my MIL in with me a few days ago to buy some fabric for a specific project.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:28 AM

I am loyal to my LQS but if there is something I need or want she doesn't have I shop on line or go to another shop near by. By buying on line you tend to get better prices. There are 2 shops near me and they are both very different. On had a large varity if the current trendy kits, fabric etc. The other not so many kits but has a large varity of western prints and other themed fabrics the other one doesn't have and the nice thing is that they are very quick to refer you to the other one if they don't have what you need or ask for. Really nice to do business with either one of them. I tell them they are my happy place and sometimes I go there just to chat because they are truly happy places to go.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:32 AM

No, there's not everything I want. I may start there,but then I move on. I think each fabric shop has such a unique personality, that if you made quilts only with one store's fabric, your quilts would only reflect that store. I like a bit of variety in fabric selection, so I look for what I want, not just what one store sells.