Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are you loyal to your quilt shop or do you shop online? >

Are you loyal to your quilt shop or do you shop online?

Are you loyal to your quilt shop or do you shop online?

Old 12-22-2011, 07:49 AM

I have never purchased fabric online before, I need to touch and feel fabric before I buy! This year though I am stretching my horizons - LOL - and enrolled in the Civil War BOM! I do purchase a lot of supplies online though. We have a wonderful LQS and I buy most of my fabric there.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:51 AM

I wonder how the quilt shops stay open that have such bad staff.
I'm really surprised so many people mentioned that.
I don't shop at the one in my town because they act like it is an inconvenience when I come in and I know of others who have quit shopping there.
Keep thinking they will close, but they don't.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:51 AM

I shop online usually. I do purchase from Joanne or Hancocks when traveling. I have what they call a general/country store here in town. It's also a drug store. They have a small fabric dept. I have looked at the fabric a few times. I notice their prices are about 3.99 to around 9.99. I said to my DH yesterday, if I am going to have to pay that much at Joanne's, why not buy here
Old 12-22-2011, 07:59 AM

My local quilt shop, (10 miles away) likes, 30's and antique reproductions mostly so don't buy a lot from her!!
Old 12-22-2011, 08:00 AM

I bypass the two closest LQS to go to another one a few miles away--mostly to buy starch and notions. I pass by the two because one is not friendly at all and the other has fabrics that don't appeal to me. However, I also buy a lot of fabric online and visit two other quilt shops--one about 40 miles away and one about 7 miles away. The one that is 40 miles away discounts their fabric to less than $6 per yard and about $1.40 per fat quarter and has bolts and bolts of it on sale at those prices. The fabric is the highest quality quilting fabrics from well-known designers (Moda, Timeless Treasures, etc.), so the owner tries to make good deals for her customers. The other store buys fabric from customers and resells it at either $1.99 per yard (JoAnnes VIP quality) or $5 per yard for LQS quality. As I mostly make charity quilts to donate, I have to find the best deals possible--even local thrift stores.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:04 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I went to Austin TX (Round Rock) and found "The Quilting Bee". Inside there were so many quilts on the wall that were gorgeous. And for every quilt on the wall, there was a quilt kit. Unbelievable!! Have never seen that before. So, of course I bought 2 kits. I have a round trip ticket back to Austin and am staying with my niece (again), and she's taking me back to "The Quilting Bee". It's on Anderson Road for anyone who lives in Austin, TX. Nicest fabric shop I've ever been in. I'm in Oregon, so I can't shop there all the time.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:05 AM

Almost all online. Usually from Fat Quarter Shop and recently started using Fabricworm. Then I go to Hobby Lobby for Kona solids to go with what I order. There is one quilt shop by me that I do enjoy going to, it is an old house that is now eleven rooms filled with fabric. 99% of it is Moda. I love that place! The other one close to me is nice but the majority of their selection just isn't my style at all.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:08 AM

I may live in a big city...but, there are no quilt shops nearby that thrill me. I have to drive 30 minutes to get to one that has a good selection. I shop at Joann's sometimes...Hancock's is also 30 minutes.
I have good days and bad with the fibromyalgia...so, I find it easier to cruise thru the fabric lines online than to get in the car and drive, then shop, then have to drive home.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:52 AM

I was very loyal to my LQS up till the day she closed. Each trip in was like visiting with a friend. There are two other LQS but one isn't real friendly and the other I do go to for my blending fabrics. I found I shop on line and it is like visiting my LQS, with every order they include a handwritten note which makes it feel special.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:54 AM

do not go to LQS much. Staff not too friendly, class selection is limited. Nice fabric, but all modern and bright. Sale fabrics are almost never anything worth looking at. Still I am grateful they are nearby when I do want something specific.