Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are you quilt worthy? >

Are you quilt worthy?

Are you quilt worthy?

Old 09-22-2010, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by Dora Taggart
The people who ask for a quilt and I think are not quilt worthy I tell them that Wal-Mart has some very beautiful ones for sale that would better fit their need....May sound qurle why just my oppinion ...
You know now that I think about it the people who have asked me are the ones that I really don't want to give one. Except my mother, I gave her one a couple of years ago. She adores it, brags on it all the time. Now everytime a make one she asks can I have that one too. As with many of us quilters I make quilts because I love making them. They are laying around my house, when the notion hits me I'll give one away.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
After reading a post on here yesterday of a quilter that was frustrated by people wanting her to make quilts I started thinking. I too have been in that situation over and over again as I'm sure many of you have also. Hang in there with me I'll get to the point in a little while.
Do any of you remember the Seinfeld episode when Elaines contraception device "The Sponge" was being discontinued? She went on a big search for these things and found a whole case. Thats all she had to last her for what seemed to her forever. So before she would "use" one of these she would ask the other participant if he were "sponge" worthy and why he thought he was.
So this is where I get "Are you quilt worthy?" I spent hours of my life making these quilts, I shed blood, endure shoulder pain, neck pain, butt numbness, crossed eyes from concentrating on every stitch, and many hours researching on "The Quilting Forum" and you want me to just whip one of these babies out of my hindend for you. Most of the time I don't take requests for quilts, I've done 3 upon request outside of my family. One turned out not worthy. I got the quilt back after about 3 months, badly abused by the kitty, and smelling like the liter box. I washed it 3 times before I could begin the repairs. I still have this quilt after 2years and he wont get it back till he's worthy.
I think with owning a "homemade" quilt comes some responsibility. So before making and giving I ask myself is this person quilt worthy? I keep a mental application in my head. If you could give an application what questions would you ask? My first one would be ....Do you think it would be appropiate to line the liter box with my quilt?

Would love to here what you might add to the application.
How marvelous you are to share that story with us. If I caught someone putting one of my quilts down for a cat, I think I would strangle the cat first then the owner second. I'm not mean, just can't stand the odor or a litter box. Sorta' drives me clawing up the wall! I never make a quilt upon request for someone outside my family. If someone is interested, I pull out the ones I have made that are brand new. If you want it, buy it, if you don't I'll keep it, just don't come back in 2 months with that odor in it, telling me it needs repair.

Halloween quilt block, not a little box bed.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]112536[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-112531.jpe  
Old 09-22-2010, 04:20 AM

I have a lovely chair that was my Grandmother's, then my Mother's. When it cam to me it came with some of the original fabric scraps for future repairs.It is just known that down the line that repairs will be necessary. I used them to replace the arm fabric. Very few people know that I quilt as I am a beginner. But right away after the quilt is complete I make up a packet of leftover to go along with the quilt for repairs in the future....its over to them, not me, to make the repairs.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
i guess i don't fit in - i make quilts for my pets every year.

i don't see anything wrong with my friends asking me to make a quilt for their pets.
I don't see anything wrong with your making quilts for your pets. I had a small dog for 13 years before she became ill. She had a small quilt that she cuddled everytime I sat down to do hand work. Whether quilting, crocheting or cutting, Peewee had her little quilt between her front paws.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:27 AM

you have my vote if you run for president
Old 09-22-2010, 04:30 AM

I've made dozens of quilts thru out the years and only have given away three when my heart speaks to me.Recently a saleslady who treats me like a piece of china and I truly love this lady(I've known her for 15 yrs.)it's time to part with another quilt for her.Each quilt spoke to me in my heart for the right one.Jet
Old 09-22-2010, 04:31 AM

My SIL keeps asking for her quilt...she is no way quilt worthy! I make other little things for family. pillows, table runners... But only 3 people have gotten quilts from me. 1. a dear friend that had a baby boy. (she bought all the material) 2. My daughters history teacher for a civil war quilt(he has had all 3 of my kids and I figure he deserves something for that!) and I am working on an out-of the box quilt for my mom. She came through for me during a difficult time and want to give her a piece of my heart. As for others; they may qualify in the future but for now...keep working on your quilt worthiness people.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:38 AM

I have always made my quilts for loved ones, but just last weekend I had my quilting teacher make a baby quilt for a fellow that works for us as he had just had a baby. I was so proud of the quilt and know the time and effort it took to make it, but when I gave it to his wife she just said "Thanks" and that was it. I was so hurt that she just didn't appreciate our gift, since she knew I am a beginning quilter and love it so much. I'm still very upset with her even now, so yes you should only give a gift of so much love to those who can appreciate the time and love that goes into each quilt we make.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by mcar
I have a lovely chair that was my Grandmother's, then my Mother's. When it cam to me it came with some of the original fabric scraps for future repairs.It is just known that down the line that repairs will be necessary. I used them to replace the arm fabric. Very few people know that I quilt as I am a beginner. But right away after the quilt is complete I make up a packet of leftover to go along with the quilt for repairs in the future....its over to them, not me, to make the repairs.
What a wonderful idea! A little sewing kit to go along with the quilt. I love the ideas you gals (and guys) come up with. We always have to many scraps anyway. However this wouldn't have worked with the liter box quilt. She is domestically challenged, her hubby is a stay at home dad and she works.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:00 AM

This topic fascinates me. My avitar shows my DH and children and significant others with the couch blankets I made them all for Christmas. They were so surprised and happy I still smile everytime I see the picture. They actually argued over who had the best one because they all liked their own best. I know they are used in different ways, some go everywhere with them and some are hung for looking at. They all love them and I am good with that. Big problem is how do I ever top this?