Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are you quilt worthy? >

Are you quilt worthy?

Are you quilt worthy?

Old 09-20-2010, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
If you don't think someone is 'worthy' of receiving your gift, whatever it is, why on Earth would you give it to them in the first place? Once you do give something away, it is none of your business what they do with it. The only exceptions are live animals and daughters!
Sons too! don't mess with my boys. :wink:
Old 09-20-2010, 11:45 AM

My 13yr old grandaughter has just spent the weekend with us complete with her original cot quilt I made when she was born!! It was a Noahs Ark panel it has been so loved and been to so many places there is hardly any of the original print left to see!!! I have made her three quilts since(when she has changed her favourite colours!!) but the threadbare cot quilt wins every time!!Iam so happy with this as I make quilts to be loved and used not hung on walls or o nly touched wearing white gloves!!
Old 09-20-2010, 03:09 PM

Amen and God Bless! Hilary
Old 09-22-2010, 02:54 AM

I think we as quilters just automatically think of making quilts when someone has a baby, a wedding, a death, a hard time, b days and anything else that life has to offer. When you think of all the chances that we have to make quilts for others, it would change my entire outlook if I HAD to do it. So I like this thread because it makes me realize that not everyone loves quilts like I do. So it would not be worth my time to make them one. They don't appreciate it and would not love it. So why put all the money, time, effort, (did I say money?) into a quilt that the other person does not appreciate. When I can go and spend 20 on flowers that they would like a lot better than something that has cost me a lot more than 100 and is not in there taste. So when we say "quilt worthy" to me it makes sense. Thanks for the thread. :)
Old 09-22-2010, 03:39 AM

I have been quilting for about 6 years and have given many away. One of my first quilts was for my daughter's high school production of Joseph, and I made a Magic Trip Around the World, but called it Joseph's quilt of many colors and it was raffled on the last night of production. I was happy that it was the most desired item in the raffle. Many people have asked me to make them a quilt and paid for them, but I know I didn't charge enough. No one understands but the quilter the amount of time it takes.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:42 AM

One of my questions would be, What has this person done for me unselfishly and not expecting something in return. I have a family member (in-law) who had received a nice hand crocheted baby blanket. It wasn't her taste, immediately after sending a thank you she took the blanket to Good Will. I was speechless, and never forgot that. Now we all know what went into that baby blanket and while it may not have been her taste, it could at least have draped over a chair for decoration. Anyhow, when it comes time to do Christmas sewing I battle with myself as to what to make for this person that won't end up being trashed or given away.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:42 AM

I think I would give anyone questionable something small to start with, and see what they do with it, before I made them something big.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:00 AM

I have a devorced male neighbor that found out I sew and crochet and asked me to make him 3 doileys, table mats,lap quilt, couch pillows and hem his drapes. I don't mind doing it for him as I can use the money but he wants it all right now and doesn't want to spend much! His daughter after listening to our converstaion his daughter turned and called him an old lady and scolded him for being cheap and told him how much time that goes into doing and making these items!
Old 09-22-2010, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
i guess i don't fit in - i make quilts for my pets every year.

i don't see anything wrong with my friends asking me to make a quilt for their pets.
This past year a co worker asked me to make a quilt for her new german shepard puppy that was chewing up everything that she put in his cage. I gracefully reminded her that in a couple of years the piranah dog would settle down and then I could make something nice for her cage, but until then something cheap from the good will would probably be best. Don't get me wrong I offered to make her a simple blanket with his name embroidered on the corner, she understood. To me it makes about as much sense giving a 5 year old little girl my fine jewlery and expecting her to cherish it and take good care of it.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:07 AM

OK..on this subject I may make some enemies...I make my quilts to be used and loved...I do a great job..not always perfect but they always look good...when I decide to make a quilt for someone whether it be family or friend I keep in mind their lifestyle...I already know them..I know if they have cats and dogs and kids and so on..I know if they are allowed to get on the furniture etc...I don't judge them by that...I might not make them a beautiful Jenny Haskins quilt if they have cats to claw at it...instead I might make a beautiful Kansas Trouble pieced quilt..darker colors might not show the animal hair...There is nothing that upsets me more as to walk into a family members house and find out the quilts I have made them are tucked away in a closet for safe keeping....who is going to care if they still look perfect 50 years down the road..take it out..use it...drag it whereever you like to be..when you wear it out I owuld love to make you a new one...because I love you and thats how I show the hours I was thinking of you as I stitched each stitch...
I recently made a beautiful baby quilt..sent it to GA for my dh nieces shower...she absolutely loves it..called me up that night and kept saying she had never seen something so pretty...my mil informed me the other day that they decided to hang it in the baby's room because it was too pretty to let a baby spit up on....although the thought is nice...I made it to be used not hung...so you see what I am talking about...I always include a note about the hours I prayed over a quilt while stitching it for this person...or the reason I picked certain colors..they know the time and love..I tell them..but I also tell them to use it everyday as a reminder of my love...I will not be here forever..but my quilts for them will live on even if they become rags..they will remember the love that went into them....ok I am off my podium now....just how I feel...everyone I love is quilt worthy....they are worthy of my love which makes them worthy of my quilts...blessings