Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you a scrapper?

Or are you a preplanned few fabrics quilter? Either way, why do you like choosing that method.

Julie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JulieTN
    Or are you a preplanned few fabrics quilter? Either way, why do you like choosing that method.

Julie
    Currently, I am a preplanned choose the fabric quilter. I have not been quilting a long time so sometimes scraps make me feel chaotic. I love the scrap quilts that I see on here, but don't have the skill to make them look like they aren't chaotic when I try to put them together. I trust that makes sense (smile).

Not a scapper!

a regular here
    I do both. I preplan most things and when the urge hits a do a scrappy.

Scrapper!!!! I am color challanged and this way anything goes and I have no worries. Plus, to me, quilting is a way to use all of those scraps from your life that had no place to "be" otherwise.

Scrappy all the way!!

I wish I were more of a planner. I think the quality of my work would be better if I were. LOL. But I always see something I like and just dive into it and in the words of Tim Gunn, "make it work". :lol:

Blog Entries
    I love scrap quilts and applique quilts. When I make a planned quilt it just adds to my ever growing stock of scraps. Can't bear to get rid of them so it is really lucky that I like all kinds of scrap quilts, organized and unorganized.

PT Quilts, I love your strip quit avatar.

Blog Entries
    I'm definitely a scrapper.

both, love planned quilts and i love scrappy ones.

I am working on a scrappy quilt now...that being said, I did not have enough "scraps" so mine is more preplanned with fabrics I like. I tried a traditional scrap quilt and was not at all happy with the results, for me there has to be one fabric that is in all of the blocks to provide a neutral and give the eye a focus. Otherwise scrap quilts do not appeal to me!

That is why I am a scrapper. When I started I would only use one print and always white nothing else. To break my fear of color a friend gave me a bag of strips. I was told not to look just pull three strips out and sew. Every color that I would have never used was in that bag. That is when I became scrappy. Mix and match. It worked!
    If I was more focused and not trying so many differant blocks AT ONCE I would be more pre planned.

Banned
    Both, but primarily a scrapper

i have collections and also do planned scrappy quilts

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I have just become a scrapper and love it. I always loved the look but was afraid to try it. One day out of desperation to make a block and not willing to buy more fabric i tried it and it worked.

At the moment I prefer being a scrapper. With this method errors aren't as obvious. :thumbup:

Some good thoughts posted here!

I would like to be able to plan a pre-selected group of fabrics and make them into a very gorgrouos quilt. BUT :roll: I am a total scraper. Probably because the sponatinity (sp?) of scrappies is exciting? Think that is it.

Even on my husband's Baltimore Album (setting the blocks now) I liked not having to choose the fabrics I would use ahead of time.

Perhaps like dog folks and cat folks... you prefer one over the other - like I do.

:-D Julie

I have been mainly a planner, but am trying to use stash that has become out of control, so trying at scrappy, but still have this coordinating problem! Trying to piece Dresden Plate with 30's scraps, but have one fabric that brings it all together. Guess that goes back to coordinating. l

I love both,but the joy of scrappy quilts is not having to buy so much fabric and when you have a planned pattern,it seems that so much fabric is left over.That's nice,but always cost more in the end.

I'm a planner right now. I'm new to quilting and don't have enough scraps, but also not too good at winging it. I love it when I can look at a completed quilt (in a LQS) and buy the kit. LOVE THAT. Except when what you buy is not the kit you thought...

both, but prefer scrappy, the more the merrier:) (fabrics that is )

Unfortunately, finances dictate scrappy right now. My parents were both children of the depression era, so I was raised to "make it work" with what you have.

Usually a planner, but without purchase funds, now a scrappy. I'm liking it!

Blog Entries
    I'm a srappy. I have done only 2 planned & they were for basically an order. :-)

right now it's preplanned, but i haven't been quilting long and don't have much of a stash. i see scrappies in my future.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast