Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Are You Scrappy?

I am a "controled scrappy" person. I think that if each block is pretty, then the whole quilt will be. Yes, I hid ugly fabrics in my scrappies but they turn out to be not so ugly after all. I am choosy about what piece goes next to this piece but I do use my scraps.

I love scrappy quilts.., I started precutting my scraps, and it never seems to get done...Like all patterns and mixtures

I am a very scrappy person in life and in quilts. I love them all, but the best are the scrappy. The more scrappier it is the more user friendly it is. The fancier and less scrappy is more likely to be hung up and displayed instead. Presently I am fighting the hoarder in me and using all the little scraps I have in one big crazy quilt. I'm one of those that thinks it can all go together in a quilt even if it really doesn't go together.

Scrappies are my favourites. I do not prepare fabric into any size etc- I just trawl through books/mags/internet until I find a pattern that I like then I go through my stash and scrap bins.

I also like to use either black/white as a solid colour (as can be seen in my avatar) and I always put on a border - generally using a tone on tone fabric that pics up some of the colours used in the blocks.

I am a scrap=o-holic. That is all I make I think. I do like controlled scrappies though.
    Anna Quilts

I do controlled scrap quilts. The controlled color might be red for example with several different fabrics, but all about the same color. I get nervous when I have to coordinate so many fabric choices and spend too much time "fussing" about which one is "perfect". Thanks for sharing the Mary's Quilt site. I had not seen that one before.

I've recently fallen in love with scrappy patchwork. Mine is more of a controlled scrappy. I also only make small projects like pot holders, mug rugs, and mug sleeves. I'm trying the "quilt as you go" method.

I'm reading this thread with great interest, as I am a new quilter and surprised at how quickly scraps accumulate. My question to everyone is: what is the smallest size scrap you would keep?

Super Member pumpkinpatchquilter's Avatar
    I am also really into controlled scraps. Lol* Lord please don't strike me down when I say this - but I seriously did not like Bonnie Hunter's quilts when I first started quilting!!! Hers was the first site I found online about ten years when I was just beginning and I used a lot of her tutorials to get started but I didn't make any of her quilts until a couple years ago. It took me some time to "get" the concept behind her scrappyness...and I still am not quite as scrappy as she is but I see the brilliance behind what she does. There is a lot to be learned from that lady!

As for my scraps, for the LONGEST time I didn't like to cut them up and mess with them. I found when I used Bonnie's method I used the more - but it's seriously a pain for me and takes up too much space. Recently I started just cutting everything into 2" strips and putting anything smaller than that in my "string" bin. I seriously have an INSANE amount of scraps and it just makes life easier. I'd much rather just go buy a group of fabrics and shoot for controlled scrappy then pull 'em out at random.
    Valerie Smith - pumpkinpatchquilter
    Obsessed Quilter and APQS Long Arm Machine Quilter
    www.pumpkinpatchquilter.com

Super Member pumpkinpatchquilter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SonjaG View Post
    I'm reading this thread with great interest, as I am a new quilter and surprised at how quickly scraps accumulate. My question to everyone is: what is the smallest size scrap you would keep?
    For me this varies. At first I kept EVERYTHING...and I mean EVERYTHING. Now I keep strings about .75 inch to under 2" and no piece smaller than 1.5"x1.5". I love making small quilts and do lot of paper piecing so I do keep "crumbs" around - I have a basket that I just call my "itty bitties". But if I have like 800 1" triangles left...I often toss them because I just have SO much that I'll probably never use them as it is!
    Valerie Smith - pumpkinpatchquilter
    Obsessed Quilter and APQS Long Arm Machine Quilter
    www.pumpkinpatchquilter.com

Blog Entries
    all of the above---well sort of---i make plenty of scrappy quilts-sometimes they are quite controlled- sometimes they are not- sometimes i use a pattern- either one i have or one i see somewhere- sometimes i just start sewing scraps together & see where it takes me. if my (scrap) is fq sized or larger it gets folded & put back onto the shelves with all the fabric- if it's smaller/odd shaped/a real scrap- it gets tossed into a tote...when i decide to work on something scrappy i start with the tote- sorting-pulling out what i think will work for what i have in mind- then i may add pull more fabrics from the shelves. there are lots of scrap lover books- patterns- or you can just look at any pattern out there & (choose) to make it out of your scraps- one block at a time- i also applique alot- so my scrap tote comes in handy for all sorts of applique pieces.- i participated in '50 stars in 50 weeks program' here on the board this past year & used mostly scraps for my 50 stars- with a common background--some participants used all scraps- even their backgrounds. as soon as i finish my wool project i'm trying to get done i plan to start a new (lone-star) project that uses 256 different 1 1/2" strips of fabric- 128 lights, 128 darks- i'm going to try to do it with scraps.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Power Poster
    Have made a few scrappies but dont really prepare them anyway. But have made several Mile A Minute, also several strips just sewn together. Have fun creating.

I make only scrappy quilts. I started with "controlled" scrappy quilts and gradually grew bolder. My first ones were only one color with a small spark of another color as accent. Then I started going hog wild I use lost of different patterns--some I find on the web and sometimes I invent one. Whatever you do have fun!
    Jean

All my quilts are scrappy. My GGM, GM & my mom made scrappy quilts. I can't help it, that's the way quilts should look to me.
    Mary

Blog Entries
    I love the throw everything in including the kitchen sink method. I think after taking a class with Bonnie Hunter, it freed me to see that everything really does go together. I still laugh when I think of her telling us, to use the ugliest thing we can find in our stash in everything. If it still bothers you, you just haven't cut it up small enough yet!

My favorite quilt is my scrappy one. I just used 4 1/2" blocks......one solid and one print. So simple, but so pretty. Reminds me of one my grandmother had.

I can't seem to do scrappy. It weirds me out. I have to much of a controlling nature. I've tried to do a controlled scrappy but even this leaves me with a feeling of unease.....LOL. I have to laugh because I so want to do some scrappy quilts, in particular the Lil' Twister pattern. I have a ton of charm squares but it's taking me more time to design (layout the original squares) then it will to put it together.

Quote Originally Posted by SonjaG View Post
    If it won't make at least a 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" square i say toss it.

I have a really tough time getting away from scrappy because I love it so much!

I like to make chevron quilts with my scraps. Somewhat controlled because I stick to 2 color groups For example all shades of red to maroon, & all shades of blues to navy. Then I intersperse with whites, off whites, & beiges out of my scrap stash. Tie it all together with a solid color sashing and border that compliments the chevrons.

I am a "scrappy" I have made string quilts, spiderwebs, pickets, churndash, and now the latest and greatest to date- a crumb block on point..working on finishing this top hopefully before Christmas, but it is not a gift, it's a keeper- most of mine are king/queens (large queens)....beds in this house are all full or larger- kids all have queens or larger. Oh yea, did make a scrappy flannel shirt quilt from my dads flannel shirts as a memory quilt for my mom--with some of the pockets and labels still involved in the top, also not a Christmas gift---it would be her first year without him.....so a later winter gift. All of my scrappies are uncontrolled.........especially the strings and crumbs. The best website is definately Bonnie Hunter---and she would be proud of my crumb quilt....I study her website often--love it

I love Bonnie Hunters site. I make a lot of give away quilts using crumb blocks. I make a 4 1/2" block which i put together as 4 patches and then make whatever size quilt i need from those. As I've seen posted elsewhere the scraps continue to multiply as you use them

I have no problems doing scrappy. I tend to like a controlled scrappy the best as I've done quite a few of them. BUT, I have also just put 4" squares together, a border and binding and it works. These are usually charity quilts, true, but they are pretty. People like them.

I belong to a group of quilters that exchanges blocks for scrap quilts only. A pattern is voted upon and then the group leaders calculate how many blocks we need for each quilt, how many exchanges we will have and how many extra blocks will be needed for extra quilt we make for charity purposes. I had never done scrap quilts until joining this group.

We are in the process of our fifth exchange and have never used the same pattern twice.

Blog Entries
    I love scrappy quilts! I make mostly scrappy and I love Bonnie K. Hunter's patterns. She has a lot of free ones on her website and I am currently working on a Chunky Churndash out of plaids and stripes that I picked up at a yardsale this summer. I need to put the border on one of hers in "Advntures with Leaders and Enders" book - RickRack Nines - I think I have made four or five from this book. If I see a pattern I like, I start collecting the pieces - no particular colors/prints - put them all in a quilt - it is scrappy after all.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast