Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are you a Short Arm quilter? If so let's talk! >

Are you a Short Arm quilter? If so let's talk!

Are you a Short Arm quilter? If so let's talk!

Old 07-31-2012, 04:23 AM

I have an old 1995 gammil/singer machine that is on a 14' frame. It is a short arm for it will do 10-12 inches it was bought used and I've spent $45 on it getting a new tension, which I put in myself. She and I have lots of fun
Old 07-31-2012, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by xsquilter View Post
I have a Grace frame & use one of my domestic machines. I wish I had something with a larger throat. But......
LindaR: can you (or anyone else) tell me more about those HQ handles? Can you put them on any machine, etc? Thanks for any info on this.
Maureen
I don't think the handihandles are being made anymore but check ebay, you might run into one...my DH put a steel piece between my wooden handles on the original grace frame and bolted the handles to that...connections fun from the handles to the back of the juki and plug in just like the foot pedal would. my DD and I share the frame and it has done alot of quilts but still do mostly meandering, loops and stars, hearts the like. I also baste the sides of my quilt as I go along which helps to keep them from rippling. mentioned in another post...good luck
Old 07-31-2012, 05:06 AM

There should be plastic over the table your panto sets on.If there is ,just take an eraseable marker and mark the end of your top on the plastic.Then stop stitching at your marks. If there is no plastic,buy a sheet to cover the panto.Without the marking how do you know where to stop stitching.Hence,the needle getting caught on the edge of the quilt.No matter where the bobbin is located,you would have to move the machine off the edge to change the bobbin.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:08 AM

What a great deal you got.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:16 AM

I have the Janome 1600 DBX on a Gracie Gem Q Pro frame with the carriage upgrade. I got the whole she-bang. The stitch regulator(keeps me from tearing my hair out), the gracie pattern boards and the fabric leaders. It takes alot of practice, I have been practicing off and on for over a year now FMQ and it is pretty decent. My problem is the drag on the pantos. I removed the gracie boards and just use paper pantos now and it goes better. I still have to invest in a laser light. I just follow the lines with the stylus - Like a previous member said your design area is about 4 inches to 5 inches. You learn to get real creative on how you load the quilts, I float my tops just works better for me. But in all honesty I wish now that I had gotten the long arm. I LOVE the look of feathers done with a long arm. I invested in Sally Terry books and a craftsy class on FMQ. It just takes lots of practice and listening to the machine. I love my stitch regulator-really keeps the stitch consistent. My machine will do 1600 stitches a minute but who can move that fast over a pattern? I govern it down midway....My budget is shot from all this quilting shopping and long arm used to be out of my reach until I heard about Baileys LA machines. No frills, no bells no whistles and affordable. They have a layaway and when I called they said I could pay whatever I wanted to a month. But I am very happy with my set up, just investigate all options before you invest in a quilting package set up. A friend of mine has a big long arm all computerized with that intelliquilter stuff and it is breaking down all the time. It has now been done for over a month while she has been waiting for parts, and I just keep plugging along, 4 inches at a time! LOL! Sometimes more is just more and not practical. Have a great day stitching!
Old 07-31-2012, 05:41 AM

I just bought Ken Lund's frame. I have it put together and ready to put the bars on it. I am going to get the caster wheels right now to change out the ones on the top platform as suggested, as well as get the foam to put inside the conduit. Thanks so much for that wonderful idea. I was wondering how to make the sweeping curves and gorgeous lowers that I know will come. (LOL) I think this is a good frame for what it is. If I get super proficient on this one, then I'll upgrade to a LA, but for right now, this is fine.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:48 AM

I use my Janome and puddle the quilts also. My FMG is far from wonderful, but I enjoy trying and am so surprised how nice the quilt looks after it is washed. I do need to practice a lot more tho. I told my family I am done with queen sized quilts. Takes too much effort moving the dang thing around to quilt. I am quilting a 54x54 now, and it is a lot easier than a queen. And I am not getting skipped stitches or eyelashes on the back. So far that is.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:02 AM

Nice setup !
I'm a "short" arm quilter ... I use a Viking MegaQuilter & my Janome 6600. No frame, I just use the tabletop hands-on method. I've done throw sz, kids and twin quilts. I don't have room for a frame now, maybe in the near future !

Last edited by TexasGurl; 07-31-2012 at 06:10 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:13 AM

I have a Bailey's machine on a grace frame. I just bought it 1 month ago. I am still playing with it. (I have very limited time in the summer with the kids home.)
Old 07-31-2012, 06:35 AM

I recently bought a Mega Quilter (Husqvarna) and a Gracie frame off of Craigs I have the frame set up in the spare bedroom but Granddaughter is here until Aug 15th so I haven't had time to try it out. It will go up to King size. Got a great price and I am using the Machine itself to make some tops so I have plenty to practice on when I actually use it. Love the machine. I'd post pictures but I still can't figure out how to post. Hope I am better at short arming than I am at posting. I'm sure I'll be needing help. The lady I bought it from has offered to come and work with me to learn. Can't wait.