Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: Are you a SHORT ARM quilter? If so let's talk!

If you have the quilt stretched too tight, you will get skipped stitches and sometimes little knots of thread on the back. I have even quilted with a slight bow in the fabric. Just as long as the back is not wrinkled.
    Beth in AZ
    www.bzyqltr.blogspot.com
    Innova 22' with Lightning Stitch and Pantovision
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by chairjogger View Post
    never knew this existed! I do short arm quilting, my own arms with fingers! Thanks for the post! Now i have learned something!
    LOL Now that gave me a good chuckle.
    Last edited by clsurz; 03-25-2013 at 09:28 PM.
    clsurz

Quote Originally Posted by blahel View Post
    This is a great thread! Yesterday I tried out a HQ Sweet 16 sit down machine and boy did I enjoy myself and now I have a dilemma I want one but it is so expensive!!
    I've started thinking about getting the Sweet 16 and looking to get it lower than $5000. I have cash to buy it but also want a better deal so may end up going to a quilt festival somewhere HQ might be to see it and try to negotiate the price down.

An authorized dealer has been emailing me to come to there store and check it out but I'd have to travel about 3 hours one way to see it and I seriously doubt they would lower the price even if I walked in with hundred dollar bills to pay them in cash.

Last year I was interested in Baby Lock Evolution Serger, 8 threader, and the local authorized dealer about an hour from me wanted over $4200 for it. I knew by what I had read online I could get a better deal so I went to Padauch Quilt show and ended up getting the Evolution and the Embellisher for about $2400 CASH money and free shipping which with both retailed for around $45-4600.

I simply kept negotiating with one of the reps until she came back with a price I could live with. It took three rounds back and forth with her boss but they finally let me have it at pretty much the price I wanted it. Obviously CASH TALKS and one often walks away with what we want.

So I am going to shop some more regarding the Sweet Sixteen.
    clsurz

Blog Entries
    clsurz--you say you already have a Baby Lock. I believe the BL Tiara is the same as the Sweet 16. Might be nice work with the reps like you did previously. My LQS just got the Tiara in. I'm pretty sure I can take a baby quilt in an try it out. This may be my alternative to a more expensive and more space hogging LA. Currently using my Bernina Virtuosa 150 with my own "short arm" (love the description, too-LOL) and really don't want to wear out the Bernina with fast quilting.

Does anyone know if the Sweet 16 or Tiara could later be set up with a frame?
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

Quote Originally Posted by Jannie View Post
    I have a Viking Mega quilter with frame and wish the dealer had it back.
    AMEN....I have the same....this set up is a work horse....simple and will quilt forever. I am actually looking for the sewing machine mega quilter just to use as a sewing machine. I recently have been using monofilament on quilts and it runs right through the machine without monkeying around with tensions. LOVE LOVE my quilter!

Quote Originally Posted by twoxover View Post
    ny gal-
    this is the ken lund frame...correct? can you tell us about it???? what do you like/don't like. a nd on your machine--how big is the throat??

thanks!
    I have a Janome MC9700 ... and I was thinking of getting one of Ken's quilting frames myself. Can you give us any pointers?

Quote Originally Posted by Jchesling View Post
    I have a Janome MC9700 ... and I was thinking of getting one of Ken's quilting frames myself. Can you give us any pointers?
    Do you FMQ using your Janome 9700? I have the same machine but have not tried FMQ with mine. Tips?

sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Blog Entries
    I quilt on my simple Bernina machine without a frame. Would like to get a mid arm with the longer throat. Hopefully it gets in the budget soon.
    Create something beautiful from scraps.

This looks like a mid=arm machine???? I have a Phaff mid arm and really enjoy using it. Bought it used and have it serviced about once a year.

delma

Those Red Snappers are worth every penny I paid for them!!!! Soooooo much easier. On line I think I paid like $57 or $59 for them.

delma

I have the same Brother machine you have. I do a lot of machine quilting and I don't use a frame. When I took a machine quilting class with Cindy Needham on domestic sewing machines like ours, a frame wasn't even mentioned. I'd say try quilting without the frame and see if you like it better. Sure would make it easier to get right to the quilting and not have to fuss with a frame. I've made some large bed quilts on it and plan to do a king on it. Try the craftsy classes on machine quilting. Cindy has a class on there.

I pick mine up tomorrow!

Have fun! I know you'll enjoy the new sewing machine.

this is so confusing as to the short arm and long arm. I will come back another time to figure it all out. thanks it is sad that the typing is al messed up

Look for a used HQ16. I have one and love it.

I have the first grace frame that came out with an updated carriage and I want to sell it.

I'm so eager for my husband to finish my sewing room so I can get Ken's frame. Will have to have a look at the Brother machine. Look's to have a deeper throat than some machines I've seen.

what kind of table are you using for the quilting frame?

HELP....... Is the Brother PQ1500S compatible with the Innova Quilting Frame? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5