Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are you stuck on the 6" ruler fold? >

Are you stuck on the 6" ruler fold?

Are you stuck on the 6" ruler fold?

Old 09-22-2013, 12:33 AM

good advice thanks for tip will have to give this try
Old 09-22-2013, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I have never folded my fabric using a ruler, cardboard, or any other method. I fold it lengthwise 3 times, keeping the selvedges parallel with the folds, then I fold it width-wise. That way every fabric is the same width and fits nicely on the shelf. If it's a very long cut, then I'll fold it width-wise to shorten it, then lengthwise again.
I agree, I figured out what worked good for my shelves and then folded depending on the size of fabric. I just cant see messing with a ruler or cardboard when its faster and easier once I figured out the best way to fold for where I wanted to put them. I also had extra shelves cut so that I didn't have to stack my fabric so high on the shelves plus this allows me to color separate them easier due to more shelves.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:23 PM

I have used a system I saw in a magazine years ago. I fold all fabric selvage to selvage long wise. Fold again center fold to selvage and have a long strip about roughly 10" wide.
1) If fabric is 1 or more yards, fold strip into an 18" accordion pleated ( back& forth on itself) pile. That way you know at a glance how much yardage there is. . . Each fold at one end of the pile = a yard. These can be stored flat on shelves or folded in half and fit into the 12" cubes.
2) if more than 1/2 but less than 1 yrd, I accordion pleat fold into a 9" pile. I fold this pile parallel to selvage into a 9 x 6" pile. These can be stored in those little plastic baskets from the dollar store.
3) less than 1/2 yrd and FQs are folded into roughly 6 x 4" pieces and stored in shoe boxes.
I stand shoe boxes on end and lay the baskets on their side. Then put the fabric in with fold facing out and pile them up till basket/box is filled.
I find this takes less room, is easy to find fabric and requires only an investment of a reasonable amount of money. I am away from home or would include a picture to clarify.
I do my folding on my cutting mat and use these lines to measure rather than a ruler. I may place a ruler on fab to get a sharp fold but not to measure.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:46 PM
yel

i use the fabric organizers that look like cardboard .....instead of a ruler [a friend gave me 3 of them ]and i have a bit more fabric than that so i folded it and removed the board and used it on the next piece .....then found a bigger piece to do my larger pieces [ you can get at U_LINE the rc plane guys use it to make airplanes ]
Old 09-22-2013, 08:22 PM

Starting with the width, I fold the selvedge over to the center crease which reduces the width to about 11 inches. I then fold the length to about 15 inches which is the width of my shelves. I do not use any board or ruler in folding my fabric.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
One can get plexiglass cut into wider widths.
My small pieces (less than .5y) is wrapped on a 3", Medium size pieces (.5y to 1.5y) are wrapped on a 5", Medium Large (1.5y to 3y) are wrapped on a 6.5", Large pieces (more than 3y) are wrapped on the store bolt. I also have a piece of plexiglass that is 12" wide. I use it when I have a group of pieces and some are large. They are folded on the 12", the smaller pieces on appropriate size, and wrapped together as stack, tied and labeled.

All of my wrapper rulers are made by me from Plexiglass sheets. That gives me the width I want but with the 24" long pieces. The guys at Lowes or Home Depot will gladly cut it for you. I think at Lowes they will make 2 cuts for free and then they are 50 cents each. I have only had one clerk charge me for extra cuts. SSOOOOO much cheaper than rulers. To make things easier the yardage amount is labels on each piece so that I don't have to think .
Old 09-23-2013, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
I also had extra shelves cut so that I didn't have to stack my fabric so high on the shelves plus this allows me to color separate them easier due to more shelves.
I did this too! Great minds think alike.