Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Are you a Subtle Sally or a Bold Betty? >
  • Are you a Subtle Sally or a Bold Betty?

• Are you a Subtle Sally or a Bold Betty?

Old 07-24-2011, 03:12 AM

I am between subtle and Bold, with a lapse now and then into really bold lol, depends on my mood. Never met a quilt i didn't find something i loved about it tho.
    Old 07-24-2011, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by gaevren
    Everyone has their own style and their own color preferences. Traditional, contemporary, etc. I'm making a quilt and my mother, who is visiting, thought that I should have chosen a much darker blue background fabric to go along with the white embroidery and white applique so that it would all "pop" better. However, that isn't the effect I want! I always gravitate towards subtle designs, subtle colors, and textures, and always prefer a more traditional look colorwise than contemporary bright-hued stuff. Earth tones, not jewel! And I think wholecloth quilts are some of the most incredibly gorgeous things on the planet.

Often I will look at other people's quilts and appreciate the work, and the craftsmanship, but think to myself "I'd NEVER go with those colors or patterns!!" Kind of how people decorate their houses differently, or different styles of painting- classical, surrealist, abstract...you can appreciate the beauty even though it's not your "style". Make sense? :mrgreen:

So what do you like?
    I totally agree with you.
    Old 07-24-2011, 03:55 AM

Yes, I love all styles, some are more pleasing to my eye, but I have yet to meet a quilt I didn't find something positive to say. A lot I probably would never do, but still enjoy seeing the quilts.
    My quilt friends always say they NEVER know what I will try next. I will sometimes pick up some really UGLY fabric and buy a piece. They just shake their heads, then will do something drastic to it. dye it, paint it, cut it into little pieces, and who knows what else.
    Old 07-24-2011, 04:00 AM

i like all colors so guess i am just different
    Old 07-24-2011, 04:23 AM

Variety is the SPICE of life! I'm spicey!
    Old 07-24-2011, 04:24 AM

What day is it? My tastes seem to vary from day to day. I am trying to challenge myself to be more adventureous in color choices and design choices. I am relatively new to quilting, just 3 years, but having been an apparel sewer for 60 years it is a challenge try new colors and techniques; coordinating seems to fly in the face of the old "matching" rule in apparel making.
    Old 07-24-2011, 04:26 AM

Both. I love soft relaxing colors, I also love wild, vibrant colors...not in the same quilt. I think I have made both. Partly depends on the situation and the recipient at times.
    Old 07-24-2011, 04:37 AM

I guess I will join the ranks of "Middle Mary". Although I have made things in subdued tones I still like color. My most favorite quilt is my Bright Baby Quilt but still love the subtle earthy tones in the right quilt.
    Old 07-24-2011, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by jeaninmaine
    I love the civil War fabrics, the 30s and the pastels when I see them in a quilt. I go shopping and always end up with deep, strong colors. It drives me nuts, I'm simply not capable of buying a pastel. This was one of the reasons I did a request for scraps a while back. Because they would be colors and designs that I didn't pick out and I would have to use an assortment beyond my limited taste.
    Agreed, which is why "unseen" scrap bags from equilter, moda etc. are good; you get pieces you would never buy and they force you into a different direction and out of your particular box.
    Old 07-24-2011, 05:07 AM

.......a Coordinated Chris.