Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
You won't believe the prices at our thrift/goodwill store >

You won't believe the prices at our thrift/goodwill store

You won't believe the prices at our thrift/goodwill store

Old 11-04-2011, 01:56 AM

Maybe they have hired those high powered execs who were going to attract a higher class clientele to that certain big box retailer who got rid of fabric.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:26 AM

I rarely find anything reasonable at Good Will. I shop thrift shops and consigment shops.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:06 AM

Goodwill's prices have really gone up...they used to be a lot less. I support what they do...but wish their prices weren't almost as high as buying something on sale at a retail store sometimes. When I do shop there, I try to only buy items that have tags with the sale color of the day...then they are half off and I can better afford them.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:14 AM

I go to a Goodwill that is not too far from me and if you find fabric it is 72 cents a yard. The only problem with that they don't always measure it correct. They had a piece of fleece that was marked 2 yards, but it was only 1/2 yard. My guess was that they had measured the width and not the length of the piece. We asked the person in charge about it and we were told that they were trained to measure the fabric and that it was correct. So we did not purchase that piece. I check the length of a piece before I buy it as sometimes it is done correctly.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:14 AM

I stopped going for several reasons Frist you donate things
then they turn around vand charge an arm and a leg second I've read several posts on here about bed bugs. One lady said she bought a dresser and there were bed bugs back on the drawer cost them a fortune to get rid of them one said she found them in the folds of her fabric.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:26 AM

I don't even go into or donate items to the Goodwill any more. The one here locally is priced way above any of the other thrift stores locally. The items are new for the most part and still in packaging, not well made, and much more expensive than what would be reasonable. I do frequent the ones I believe are priced appropriately to look for useful items. The one we like best is the Habitat for Humanity Resale store. Ann in TN
Old 11-04-2011, 07:10 AM

Our Goodwill stores are just as bad. We have Salvation Army--DAVs and Savers and they have real good prices and you better buy it today cause it will be gone tomorrow.I just bought a 1951 Singer in a rounded cabinet for $15 at SA and it works with all the attachments and it only has a little damage to the cab.The same exact one at GW was $125 it did not work- cab was missing 2 drawers and it looked like it was used as a chopping board.But at that same store I found 8 yds of 108 wide fabric for $2- I love the treasure hunts some days are luckier than others.Don't give up

Last edited by Stitchit123; 11-04-2011 at 07:22 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:54 AM

our local thrift store is too high on clothing but yesterday they had two - count 'em two brand new red & white (ripple pattern) croched afghans displayed out front. i HAD TO STOP. they sold them for $10 each. hooo boy. i crochet and i can't imagine someone putting quality items like that in a thrift store - the yard in each one would waaaay more than the $20 i paid for the two. i know some people who will be glad to get these wonderful works of art.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:41 AM

Our Thrift stores appear to be high priced, as well. Give me an old fashioned yard sale anytime (especially the Church Rummages) Woot-woot
Old 11-04-2011, 09:54 AM

I too have noticed the charity shops increasing prices to compete with the secondhand stores. I think they have lost touch with their purpose. They receive their items free and are supposed to have items at a resonable price for the needy.