Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
You won't believe the prices at our thrift/goodwill store >

You won't believe the prices at our thrift/goodwill store

You won't believe the prices at our thrift/goodwill store

Old 02-28-2011, 03:55 PM

I asked about the bales of clothes at our goodwill. The lady told me it was being shipped oversea.... so much for keeping it local.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:24 PM

Well so much for thinking it was going to the rag man!!! It used to go to a company to be cut into rags and sold in boxes by the pound at auto parts stores. Guess I am behind the times. I do recall seeing a picture someplace of people crowding around a bale of clothing in some asian country. I went to our local SAVERS store the other day and they had a lot of sheets both percale and flannel. They ranged from $3 to $6 each.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:32 PM

Ooh yes I would believe those prices. We used to have the SA here too, but now it's just the Thrift Ranch. Ever since the SA left town, the Thrift Ranch has raised their prices. It's unreal on some of their things.

Last week I was in there check for a bookshelf.. (didn't find one), but browsed around to the other side of the store. In the office stuff, they had the priority envelopes from the PO and was selling them for .45! I picked them all up and was going to talk to the manager about it but the lady I know came up to me and we started talking and I told her about it. I told her it wasn't right and against the PO to sell these things that are free. She took them and agreed. Said she would tell the manager..
Old 03-23-2011, 04:55 AM

Hi everyone, I hope you don't mind that I say something here... I feel really sad about this conversation and I want to try to bring some helpful information to the discussion.

I am a home organization expert and as part of my career, I have chosen to give back by donating my time and efforts as the spokesperson for Goodwill Industries International. I have done spokesperson work for other companies like Staples, Microsoft, and Brother, but the work I do for Goodwill is from the heart and I have learned so much about the mission and how things work.

While we do provide affordable shopping, Goodwill’s mission is to provide job training, career placement and other community-based programs for people with disadvantages or disabilities. Our stores fund that mission. In fact, about 83 percent of store revenue is spent on these programs, which served more than two million people last year. That is nationwide, a collective percentage... some local Goodwills like the one in Austin where I live funnel 89% right back into the mission!

The allegiance here is to the mission, there is not some kind of obligation to the community that the prices be set at a certain level... that is really determined by each Goodwill agency, and they are operated autonomously. Obviously they want to set those prices to be competitive in their own local markets so that they can sell more and earn more for the mission. Most Goodwills compare prices with similar stores in their areas regularly, and if these prices aren't in line with those stores I'm sure they'd like to know.

My suggestion is that when you see something that seems out of line, you speak with that store's manager rather than get upset at Goodwill in general. This organization is made up of thousands of people all over the country, and some of them are not always going to get things right, and that can only be corrected with appropriate feedback.

Thanks for letting me say something here. I know all the good that has been done-- for over 100 years-- both for the community and the environment by Goodwill being around. I hope you'll reconsider your opinions!

Cheers and best wishes,
Lorie
Old 03-23-2011, 12:01 PM

Thanks for a balanced picture of Goodwill in general.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:38 AM

Wow, they probobly won't be around long. If they get the hint that their prices are too high maybe they'll do some business. Otherwise they will have to close up shop.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:30 PM

I am getting on my Goodwill stump again. Many people think that Goodwill is a charity organization. It is actually a FOR PROFIT business. The public donates the goods, Goodwill resells for profit. They DO NOT AS A RULE make donations to those in need. I will say that while our local store is outrageously expensive, they did cut a deal to my stepson for a French Door when he home was totally destroyed in the April 27 tornado here in Mississippi. Our local charities are the Salvation Army and the Thrift Store, which sponsors a local home for troubled children. Having said all that, I have shopped and purchased from Goodwill. Be careful of the junk, no refunds.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:33 PM

I'm with you!!! Our Goodwill is the same way. The St. Vincents de Paul thrift shop, Habitate for the Humanity and independent thrift stores are better prices. BTW -- that 2 drawer file cabinet --- $20.00 at Walmart the last time I looked ---and it was NEW!!!
Old 11-03-2011, 12:35 PM

thats just terrible.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:42 PM

Re the baled clothes: Those huge bales do go to third world countries. Goodwill does not ship them from what I was told by the gal's at our two Goodwill stores.
An importer buys them from all the Goodwill stores, has them loaded onto trilers (those trailers that semis pull), shipped by rail (when necessary) to wherever the shipping yards are in the USA (otherwise by trailer), ships them off to the third world countries where they are bought by person/businesses of interest, and resold.

As far as the prices - have not noticed that at out two stores. We have a couple of thrift stores in town we have been frequenting and their prices are decent. Will keep my eyes open for the changes. I have a hard time believing someone would buy the filing cabinet on e-bay and pay shipping unless it is a Pick-Up only status. I have not seen 'Goodwill' as a Sella on e-bay, but then I was not looking for them. Interesting.