Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
You won't believe the prices at our thrift/goodwill store >

You won't believe the prices at our thrift/goodwill store

You won't believe the prices at our thrift/goodwill store

Old 02-24-2011, 09:10 AM

Great idea!

Originally Posted by polly13
Guess I'll have to start putting my contributions out by the road with FREE on it. Things are never there the next morning.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:29 AM

The thrift stores in my area have weekly half price sale Fridays. So...I think that they overprice for the sales. The Salvation Army here recycles items to their other area stores in the county. If an item doesn't sell, they package and ship to the next Salvation Army in neighboring town. This happens every couple of weeks. The clothing bundles that you see are the last step before shipping overseas to third world countries. Thrift has become a big industry, and try to hire management persons with some expertise in value, or they look up values on the net. Afterall, donations go to good causes also - employment, homeless, feeding the hungry/poor. Why shouldn't thrift stores take advantage of pricing when I see dealers, and ebay vendors shopping in these stores on a constant basis? There's nothing like being in a thrift store shopping with ten other women/men in business suits on their lunch hour. Blame them for the high pricing. The elephant planter is probably a deal. If it is carved wood or porcelain/pottery and imported, it's valuable.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:34 AM

I have to admit that I sometimes do not have the time to read so many pages of response to one topic but this one I had to read. I was at our Goodwill yesterday and I truly have to agree about the prices. The only thing I have bought since I moved here last October is the sewing machine I posted back in November. That was a wonderful deal. BUT...every time I have been back since, I can find nothing that I would pay their prices for.I stopped shopping at the Salvation Army years ago because of their high prices, now I have decided not to shop at Goodwill either.We have donated many thousands of dollars of good stuff and I really think that they are surely paying their personnel TOP $$ or else maybe something fishy is going on.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:45 AM

I have been to thrift shops and find the prices not all that
thrifty so to speak. I guess they forget everything is donated.
:cry:
Old 02-24-2011, 11:10 AM

My BIL works at a Goodwill in OH. Their prices are still very reasonable. I paid $5 for a very nice table. Can't wait to share this with him as he does most of the pricing at his store. Fabric doesn't last long there.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:37 AM

Goodwill has increased the prices and often unreasonallby so---I do not go there anymore. I usually only bought books there but have found cheaper places.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:31 PM

If you do a search on Goodwill, you will find that they accept donations and then sell your stuff. Many people believe Goodwill is a charitable or nonprofit organization, but it is NOT! I only donate to the Salvation Army and a local Thrift Store. Having said all that, I did find a nearly new suede coat for $10 - price tag in pocket was 175. You must particularly test your appliances, etc., because Goodwill does not insure that anything they sell will work.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:32 PM

I don't mean to be rude but let's stick to quilting.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:33 PM

I also like to use Freecycle. You can Google to find one in your area. No money goes either way.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:10 PM

Gee who would pay those prices? Are they nuts?

I would be frustrated and disgusted too. I hope you told the person who asked you not to take photos that you were doing it to show how outrageous the pricing is and how can they make any money that way?