Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
You won't believe the prices at our thrift/goodwill store >

You won't believe the prices at our thrift/goodwill store

You won't believe the prices at our thrift/goodwill store

Old 02-26-2011, 03:36 PM

They're not cheap, even for their junk. I saw a beaten up, old sewing machine w/cabinet, not a Featherweight, for $249.00!
Another one, for $325.00! Had to take a second look to make sure I wasn't seeing things. :thumbdown:
Old 02-26-2011, 03:44 PM

I know. I saw a really cute pincushion made out of the cuff of a boys shirt. But when I went looking, I found shirts for anywhere from $3 to $10!! At the second hand store! I can get a new one at a Sears sidewalk sale for less than that.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:46 PM

thats happening here too..............aggravates me...to see..
Old 02-26-2011, 04:05 PM

I agree that their prices are way, way too high. But I often wonder what they do with the profits besides paying the officers hugh salaries.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:29 PM

That's nice. I think they should pick a day and clear thing out at rock bottom prices. These stores are just way overloaded with clothing especially, but it is too high for second hand items. I won't pay that for used items. I go to all the thrift stores in our area and are always stopping in to see if there is something new. Often I leave without buying anything. I almost never, and I mean never, find any fabrics or sewing and crafting things in our area. Even the remmant bin at the Walmart is empty!
Old 02-26-2011, 09:12 PM

Our Walmart took out the fabric department.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:24 PM

It is hit or miss here. I did buy a 100% wool sweater there the other day to felt and make mittens with for 4$. But my favorite deal was I bought a wool skirt there once for around 4$ and found 71$ in the pocket. That is my kind of deal. But I do get angry when I take things in for donation and they litterally pick through and reject certain items. I guess beggers CAN be choosers!!!
Old 02-27-2011, 06:21 AM

You people have to be kidding! I shop at Goodwill and Salvation Army, I buy name brand clothing at both places, a top--$2.00, a brand new (still had store tags attached) pair of women's pants--$2.00, a winter coat(still had store tags attached) with down filling---$10.00.

How did you know the stand was formica. Looks antique to me and a lot of antique furniture had an over-lay of the same wood the piece was made from. The feet on the stand give it away. If it is antique, with a little refurbishing, it could be an expensive piece of period furniture. As far as the elephant planter is concerned: Where is the elephant? The plastic greenery alone at a retail store would be Apx. $10.00 a bush and there are at least 3 in your picture. My opinion is that these pictures and prices didn't come from either thrift stores you said you visited, but an antique store. From my old neighbor hood there was a thrift store run by a church and attached to it was an antique store, those prices were according to period of manufacturer. Of all the Thrift stores, Salvation Army Ceo's get the lowest salary of any other charity organization, including all the other organizations. My husband was in WWII, he smoked. This particular Charitable organization made the service men pay for their cigarettes. My suggestion is that you have those stores investigated. There is a law against Mark-up on clothing.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:02 AM

I'll bet they don't turn over their inventory quickly at those prices! The one in my town isn't like that at all.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:47 PM

I used to donate nice clothes there a LOT, but the last time I was in the back (warehouse) part of the store where the bigger things are sold, I noticed this huge machine like a trash compactor-- it actually BALED UP loads of clothing into gigantic 'bricks'. I have no idea what they do with these (landfil?) but the back part of the warehouse was stacked to the roof with them. My guess is they don't even look at the clothes you donate... just throw it in the baler!*****************

Our goodwill bin store has a bailer. The clothing that they have been unable to sell in their stores goes to the bin store. You can go to the bin store and buy stuff by the pound. They bale up the clothing they can't sell and it goes to the rag man.