Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Your favorite sewing room idea >

Your favorite sewing room idea

Your favorite sewing room idea

Old 06-05-2010, 10:09 AM

Thank you. It was a lot of sorting, very little pitching, and bought nothing.... yet. I now have room for some real stash! I kept holding myself back thinking that I just didn't have any place to put it. But apparently I have more room than I thought. :mrgreen:
Old 06-05-2010, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Melody
Thank you. It was a lot of sorting, very little pitching, and bought nothing.... yet. I now have room for some real stash! I kept holding myself back thinking that I just didn't have any place to put it. But apparently I have more room than I thought. :mrgreen:
Time to fill 'er up!! That's the best part.......next to quilting it, which is almost as fun as finishing it, but then when it goes to a new home the happiness you feel is pretty good too..............

OK, so it just starts with the fabric.

Room looks great btw. You got it done fast too.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:42 AM

I have to admit, knowing I was going to post the "results" here on the board was very motivating. I just didnt' want to put it off. I sort of felt obligated in a good way! :) So thank you all for motivating me... otherwise, it would have taken me longer.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:54 AM

I know I am blessed with the space I have for my sewing room. DH let me have free rein when I moved here 13 years ago so I designed just what I wanted. So my sewing studio has sky lights and large windows on 2 sides. One wall is all cabinets (like kitchen cabinets). The counter top serves as my cutting board with a large self healing mat always in place. 2 of the upper cabinets serve to hold anything quilt related that is smaller than 1 yard of fabric but larger than a FQ as well as other quilting supplies. The large pantry cupboard holds over 3000 yards of fabric right now and is jammed to the gills. In addition to the stash cabinet there are fabrics any number of other places including on top of the cabinets. I also have my bathroom right between the cutting board counter and my computer desk. This was also built in at the same time. Around the other walls are a love seat that has many purposes including storing UFO's I have 5 sewing machines in this room and one more in the living room (I ran out of space). I also keep a small refrigerator in here.There is always a WIP on the counter/cutting board. Oh yeah, in the lower cabinets there are 10 pull out drawers where I can store all kinds of rubber stamps and stencils and such. I have thread racks everywhere and I have made several racks that you can pull out like a drawer and find the thread you want. I have taken doweling and put thread spools across the top of the bathroom door. Makes for easy storage. (I have several thousands spools of thread many for my embroidery machines). Of course this room is always in motion. Always threads and even right now a top I am sewing together lays on the floor. Oh did I mention I spend 90% of my day in here. Here are a few pictures.

stash cabinet (can't get the whole thing in the picture)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]79800[/ATTACH]

counter/ cutting board and cupboards
[ATTACH=CONFIG]79801[/ATTACH]

one of my sewing machines
[ATTACH=CONFIG]79802[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-79795.jpe   attachment-79796.jpe   attachment-79797.jpe  
Old 06-05-2010, 01:16 PM

Julia,
wow, that's a lot of cabinets! I really like the colors in your stash.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:29 PM

What you saw in the picture is under half of what I have. I was blessed a couple years ago to purchase about 2000 yards of fabric from a quilters estate. (There is most likely much more than that). For $400. My sister also purchased a great deal. When I added the new fabrics to what I already had I was more than overwhelmed. I decided that only on a rare occasion would I ever half to buy fabric again. I still have crates of fabric I haven't even opened yet. I have enough fabric to outlive me! And yes I have already drawn up a clause in my will as to who will get it. One of the local quilt guilds so they can use it for charity quilts.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:36 PM

Charity quilts... that is a wonderful thing to do.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:45 PM

Like I said somewhere else I am a fabric-aholic and I know it. Even if my sister and my 2 daughter's decided they wanted some there would still be a great deal left. But neither of my girls quilt (at least now anyway) and my sister comes and robs my stash anytime she wants. Many quilting friends just come by to find that special piece and enjoy it. Of course it is always a bunch of fun when someone says, "this is more fun than going to JAF for fabrics any day!"
Old 06-05-2010, 02:01 PM

Wow, a lot of excellent ideas. It'll take me awhile to read through this thread but I wanted to post and at least get updates.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:13 PM

There really are a lot of ideas and I tried to use as many as would fit in my 10 by 10 room. I want to get some racks for spools of thread to put inside the hutch doors behind the machine. And I'm on the lookout for a wooden caddy to carry my tools with me when I do my handquilting upstairs. I also want to raise the cutting table with some casters. But this is such a good start that I'm enjoying it for awhile "as-is". :-D